Welcome to (failed) TED Talk - TED is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
FWIW, Mesa has been trying to get something started there for a while, the "Fiesta District". For many, many years, the Bennigan's on the NW corner of Southern/Alma School and it's strip mall sat there abandoned, surrounded by fences, but during the pandemic that changed and now that looks like this:

same spot 8 years ago

and 16 years ago

I worked in that tall building in the SE corner for a couple of years in the 90s, and went to that Bennigans all the time, and have seen the whole cycle from bustling mall to abandoned retail space to sputtering attempts at renovation, which is what they're still in now....but....drop TED on top of the Fiesta Mall site...and....?

Guess who has a basic plan in with the city for redeveloping Fiesta??

Same people who had an option on part of TED and sat on it for the last decade with no plan.

Reactions: Dirty Old Man

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Kellers agent on PHNX:

"This has been uncertain for far too long, and now there is a real urgency on our clients behalf to have clarity
He deserves to be in an organization that has stability and that is pursuing the same thing he is which is excellence.
Meeting with the Coyotes later today. There needs to be some real concrete plans, not hoping plans, not maybe plans. This has to come to a head shortly and I'm sure other agents feel the same for their clients."
Fahq! I expected it to unravel, still sucks to actually see it start.

Tanic

Dec 28, 2003
Visit site
@The Feckless Puck
That came to my mind Yesterday. Why Not Go to the state fair and demolish the veterans memorial colliseum. That place is from 69.
And would be a good location for an Arena.
But for that you would have to Work with the Arizona Exposition and State Fair Board. And i don't know If they are state or City.
1965 actually. Roadrunners in the Western Hockey League were the first tenant. Board members are appointed by the Governor.

I wonder if the state would jump at the opportunity to replace the crumbling Coliseum with a paid for shiny new arena. Give the Fair two weeks of dates in October and Win-Win. Conveniently at the intersection of I-10 and I-17.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Kellers agent on PHNX:

"This has been uncertain for far too long, and now there is a real urgency on our clients behalf to have clarity
He deserves to be in an organization that has stability and that is pursuing the same thing he is which is excellence.
Meeting with the Coyotes later today. There needs to be some real concrete plans, not hoping plans, not maybe plans. This has to come to a head shortly and I'm sure other agents feel the same for their clients."

Nobody wants a lame duck season. It will be the one thing in AZ more toxic than the landfill. I don't even want to bother to go through it. Announce something by the draft or f*** off.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think it’s a bit land locked in terms of additional development opportunity. And while there isn’t a toxic dump to clean up, there’s a lot of property to purchase.

This is me speculating. I don’t know any of that.

They'd definitely have to build up, not out - but then, they wouldn't have any issues with Sky Harbor doing that, so they could go hog wild with it.

Kellers agent on PHNX:

Good for Keller. Normally I don't like watching agents play this kind of strong-arm game, but maybe this is what this whole mess needs - a star player forcing everyone's hand one way or the other. Hell, it wasn't until Doan leaked that he was talking to other teams that momentum for IceEdge's deal really took off.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That’s why this was on the ballot. Everyone thought they were voting to give or deny permission for a billionaire to help himself to their tax dollars. Nope. It was dump versus development. Dump won.
Dump won? No, no, you got it wrong. DUMB won!

This is exactly what we need. More drama from another angle. Lovely!
This had to be expected.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
They'd definitely have to build up, not out - but then, they wouldn't have any issues with Sky Harbor doing that, so they could go hog wild with it.

Good for Keller. Normally I don't like watching agents play this kind of strong-arm game, but maybe this is what this whole mess needs - a star player forcing everyone's hand one way or the other. Hell, it wasn't until Doan leaked that he was talking to other teams that momentum for IceEdge's deal really took off.
I don't think it's a strong arm game. What he is asking is perfectly normal. Hell, it's the same thing we all should be asking.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Good one! Ak-Sar-Ben is Nebraska spelled backwards. The smoke store is On-Auk-Mor owned by SRPMIC.

THAT'S what it was. Ak-Sar-Ben is a Nebraska-based tribal entity, but I couldn't remember the actual hyphenate for the one here... LOL

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Seems to me Fiesta mall isn’t as far east as Glendale is west and has larger communities surrounding it like Chandler and Gilbert.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't think it's a strong arm game. What he is asking is perfectly normal. Hell, it's the same thing we all should be asking.
It's a fair question to ask. Just not 2 days after what happened. Maybe give it a bit of time.

this is the part where I liked to remind people that teams agree to a no trade clause. It's not a "trade me" clause. Yeah, i get the player can be pissed and stomp his feet but you signed the contract. If it happens, it happens.

Reactions: Edenjung

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Less ideal by virtue of being in some of the worst traffic the valley has to offer. Absolute Thunderdome.

Another question mark is how the entertainment district would be built. There are some corporate tenants already on site there - would they be bought out or given some sort of equity in the build? And then there's Mesa Community College right across the street to the west - how does that factor into it?

Look, if it comes down to Fiesta Mall or nothing, I take Fiesta Mall for sure. But there are better options out there.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
(ssshhh, not so loud. you'll upset some people ;) )

Whether I get upset or not is immaterial - I'm no longer part of the desired demographic. It matters, though, if the "core" fans are upset by having to hike it all the way out to Southern and Alma School to see a game. That's not exactly a fun Sunday drive.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Would be so Coyotes

1 = to have built a terrible roster to achieve dead last position
2 = To totally outperform and finish with the 6th worse record
3 = partly because of a goalie picked on waiver playing outstanding in the middle of the season, a goalie needing an extension
4 = but finish 6th worse record is ok "because our young stars and players have really taken a big step forward"
5 = and there is the lottery, "who knows"

Then

lottery not won, goalie not extended, young stars leaving.

Dirty Old Man

Still processing...
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Whether I get upset or not is immaterial - I'm no longer part of the desired demographic. It matters, though, if the "core" fans are upset by having to hike it all the way out to Southern and Alma School to see a game. That's not exactly a fun Sunday drive.
That's probably true, and I have a coping mechanism - the mantra I chanted for 18 years, which was "sure beats the hell out of Portland, OR"...

I do notice though, speaking of core fans that don't live near me, that from oh, Ice Den Scottsdale, The drive to the TED site (20.7 mi, 25 mins) is almost the same as to Fiesta Mall (20.3 mi., 26 mins). (edit: vs Desert Diamond Arena, 32 mi, 32 mins...all exclusive of rush hour)

But who am I kidding, it's not going to be Fiesta Mall.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad