Confirmed with Link: Weekesbomb: Palat to NJ for five-year deal

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
This is clearly a bad deal.

But it's a relatively small bad deal that says "I want to win now".

This is a message sender type deal. And I think Fitz knows Palat is a message sender type of player. I don't watch TB a ton, but he was very good in the playoffs.
How does signing an average 31 year old 50 point player ( if we are lucky ) showing we want to win now?

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Crazy thought but maybe it’s because one of them is actually an elite player and those players age better and that Johnny at 10 mil is at worst a contract he is worth while 6 mil for Palat is an overpay as is.

One guy scored 115 points, carried the best line in hockey and is 29. The other guy is 31 and scored 49 points as a passenger. I cant figure out what the difference is between these two players.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
And their contracts were 7 years long vs 5. Very different.

Also sounds like the cap is supposed to jump significantly in the near future.
I may have been going off of salary instead of cap hit. So disregard those percentages I replied with, im probably wrong.

Too late for this nonsense

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I mean f*** if you were ok with giving Palat 6 then he should’ve tried to get in on taking Patches for free at 7. He’s a FAR better player and you don’t take on the long term risk. Then you keep the flexibility open to hopefully get someone on a better deal than this shit next year. No matter how you slice it this is bad.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
One guy scored 115 points, carried the best line in hockey and is 29. The other guy is 31 and scored 49 points as a passenger. I cant figure out what the difference is between these two players.
The primary difference is one of them wanted to be here. And about 4 million dollars per year and 2 years of term.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Those kick in next year, no? They're still pretty over the cap this offseason as is.
Right now they are -7 over the cap and factoring the cap hit raises in cirelli,serg and cernak they prob felt they couldn’t fit him in and defaulted to the youth.

Cirelli gets a 1.5 mil raise in cap hit, sergachev jumps to a 3.7 raise and cernak jumps 2.1 with only 3 in space for next year

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
To be fair, they're not exactly the same tier of talent. Gaudreau is likely to age better than Palat, plus you're also getting more good years than with Palat. I think you're more likely to get good value out of Gaudreau's contract than Palat's.
Yeah that why one is getting twice as much with longer term.

Why is Gaudreau likely to age better? Because the style he plays ...a style we have in spades throughout our top 9....why is Palat not likely to age as well? He uses his body more aggressively...a style we have NONE of in our top 9 - Absolutely none of.

I don't see Palat as a "bad" contract at all. He fills a need and was available. When is the last time we brought a player with real championship pedigree into the room? These kids are starving for leadership. This was a good move.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Gaudreau turns 29 in a couple of weeks and a 10x7 70 million dollar contract that takes him to 36 years old is no problem...but a 31 year old getting 5.9 until he's 36 is a bad contract?:huh:
Yup . It is. Considering one was second in the entire league and 4th in Hart voting and is one of maybe 4 wingers in the game that can drive offence from the wimg l while the other …. ummm.. is a veteran that is good in the playoffs… signed by a team that made the playoffs once in a decade ….

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
This place must have been a treat when we signed Zubrus to a six-year deal. Or Zajac to an eight-year deal. And actual deals that were horrible like Clowe and Volchenkov, when did that ever keep the Devils from doing anything?

Yeah, I still have that poster of Zubrus skating around with the cup.

That Zajac contract sure was popular around here.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
This place must have been a treat when we signed Zubrus to a six-year deal. Or Zajac to an eight-year deal. And actual deals that were horrible like Clowe and Volchenkov, when did that ever keep the Devils from doing anything?
I miss Dainius

Reactions: Dialamo

LoktionovMVP

Nov 1, 2018
I mean f*** if you were ok with giving Palat 6 then he should’ve tried to get in on taking Patches for free at 7. He’s a FAR better player and you don’t take on the long term risk. Then you keep the flexibility open to hopefully get someone on a better deal than this shit next year. No matter how you slice it this is bad.
Hisch13r my man you're on fire tonight

Reactions: Hisch13r

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Yup . It is. Considering one was second in the entire league and 4th in Hart voting and is one of maybe 4 wingers in the game that can drive offence from the wimg l while the other …. ummm.. is a veteran that is good in the playoffs… signed by a team that made the playoffs once in a decade ….
what if gaudreau regresses to his past 2 season's performance? what if last season was a fluke? is he still worth it?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah, I still have that poster of Zubrus skating around with the cup.

That Zajac contract sure was popular around here.
Point is those contracts were universally thought of being bad and wound up not being all that bad as the cap went up. The biggest price we ever paid on any of them was the two-season buyout on Volchenkov.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Ahh great, I’m so glad this is slightly better than the freaking Okposo contract.
Ummm who said that. It’s much better at face value even if he turns out as bad as Okposo. 2 years less and a smaller percentage of the cap is a pretty big difference. And It completely depends on his play.

I think it’s ridiculous for anyone to be freaking out about this to this extent who was sitting there acting like giving Gaudreau 11M for 7 years was nothing. That would‘be been much riskier with potential greater long-term repercussions. Obviously much higher upside as well.

Reactions: Devs3cups

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
78D56A99-DFB5-436D-9D2F-96E9480BB3D2.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad