Confirmed with Link: Weekesbomb: Palat to NJ for five-year deal

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Crazy thought but maybe it’s because one of them is actually an elite player and those players age better and that Johnny at 10 mil is at worst a contract he is worth while 6 mil for Palat is an overpay as is.

Gaudreau isn't going to age well. His low center of gravity and tiny legs will not go far.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
He’ll probably cost way too much after the season he just had.

You are stocked up on prospects and that's what we need now. Tkachuk is going to be traded 100%. Don't need another Kipper having us finish 9th every year.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Crazy thought but maybe it’s because one of them is actually an elite player and those players age better and that Johnny at 10 mil is at worst a contract he is worth while 6 mil for Palat is an overpay as is.
This isn’t a great contract but it certainly isn’t as risky as the Gaudreau one

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How come Tampa didn’t bring him back?

I don’t know their cap situation, but figure they’re capped out and I was also figuring they would try and re-sign him after clearing out McDonagh the other day.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Part me of thinks Fitz wanted Gaudreau + Palat and then offered more for Palat after Gaudreau chose CBJ. I mean the contract is pretty horrid, hopefully we can get out of it sooner rather than later. I still love the player, but yikes.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Bad contract but I can’t see the future and he’s at least got a game that’s needed in NJ….for now.

Oh well good night.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Gaudreau turns 29 in a couple of weeks and a 10x7 70 million dollar contract that takes him to 36 years old is no problem...but a 31 year old getting 5.9 until he's 36 is a bad contract?:huh:
To be fair, they're not exactly the same tier of talent. Gaudreau is likely to age better than Palat, plus you're also getting more good years than with Palat. I think you're more likely to get good value out of Gaudreau's contract than Palat's.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Gaudreau isn't going to age well. His low center of gravity and tiny legs will not go far.

In Columbus I can see him not being as productive because of supporting cast not being as good as it’d be here. If he came here I have literally no doubts he’d be highly productive into at least years 5 and 6 of the deal.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Because it still is a panic move. Just because we were in on him all day doesn’t change that. We missed out on the big fish so he overpaid for his next option. That’s a f***ing panic move
Or he decided that was his next best option. He was clearly aware of the possibility that he wouldn’t get Gaudreau. Palat seems to have been his backup this whole time and he was clearly willing to overpay to get him.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Because it still is a panic move. Just because we were in on him all day doesn’t change that. We missed out on the big fish so he overpaid for his next option. That’s a f***ing panic move
I don’t think it’s a panic move, it’s just a huge overvaluation of intangibles.

Also, a lot of people here really overrating Palat because they’ve heard his name on tv scoring notable goals in the playoffs.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
What's the lineup looking like next year for forwards now that we officially have Palat?
Palat - Hughes - Bratt
Sharangovich - Hischier - Mercer
Haula - Boqvist - Zetterlund
Wood - McLeod - Bastian

With the potential for Holtz if he actually shows up this year.
I think one of Tatar/Johnsson, probably Tatar are still here for the season. Maybe Thompson for Wood at season start too

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
At least the Tatar deal was two years. I understand that the 5 years probably isn't a huge issue given the cap allocation we currently have but for me its more so an issue with the process than the result. Whiff on everything, panic and give out an Okposo/Lucic/Brouwer-esque deal just so we can finish 21 points out of the playoffs instead of 40
Lucics and Okposos 2016 deals took over 10% of the teams cap

Palat is around 7%

Edit: I may be wrong and did salary and not cap hit. Too late, will fix tomorrow/

Last edited:

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014

Yeah Fitz prob threw an extra 500k-1mil per would be my guess. I dont classify this as a panic move at all becuase Palat was clearly on our radar but did we bump our offer to make sure we got him? I can definitely see that.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Tatar’s contract is over at the end of this season. They whiffed but didn’t cripple themselves. This is a whole other level.
But the Tatar proponents were very surprised how cheaply Tatar was had, There is a reason that Tatar was signed to such a non consequential deal. And there is a reason Palat is signed to a more significant contract.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
How come Tampa didn’t bring him back?

I don’t know their cap situation, but figure they’re capped out and I was also figuring they would try and re-sign him after clearing out McDonagh the other day.
My guess is cause they just kicked 8 year extensions to sergachev, cirelli and cernak

Reactions: blink and NJDevs26

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
It wasnt a panic move. Why do people keep saying that? It was reported we had interest in this player last night and this morning.

It's not a panic move, but it was likely not our first option. We wouldn't have been able to sign both Gaudreau and Palat to the deals they ended up with.

We could address either the need for another elite scorer, or the need for a physical winger. Not both.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don’t think fitz is done. I forsee more sizable changes
I'm not actually sure what else big he changes at this point, other than saying byebye to Tatar and Johnsson, if that counts as big. Maybe a move on D, cause they're still a little uncertain there with Graves and Severson on UFA contracts. The biggest thing left to do is the Bratt negotiation.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
At least the Tatar deal was two years. I understand that the 5 years probably isn't a huge issue given the cap allocation we currently have but for me its more so an issue with the process than the result. Whiff on everything, panic and give out an Okposo/Lucic/Brouwer-esque deal just so we can finish 21 points out of the playoffs instead of 40

Lucics and Okposos 2016 deals took over 10% of the teams cap

Palat is around 7%
And their contracts were 7 years long vs 5. Very different.

Also sounds like the cap is supposed to jump significantly in the near future.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad