Confirmed with Link: Weekesbomb: Palat to NJ for five-year deal

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
This place must have been a treat when we signed Zubrus to a six-year deal. Or Zajac to an eight-year deal. And actual deals that were horrible like Clowe and Volchenkov, when did that ever keep the Devils from doing anything?

“When did that ever keep the Devils from doing anything?” You do realize the Devils were bad for basically all of what you just brought up right?

Reactions: hidek91

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yup . It is. Considering one was second in the entire league and 4th in Hart voting and is one of maybe 4 wingers in the game that can drive offence from the wimg l while the other …. ummm.. is a veteran that is good in the playoffs… signed by a team that made the playoffs once in a decade ….
When he's playing the perimeter and scoring 60 points per season on a bubble team, I gaurentee you the comment will be made here "sure glad we didn't sign him"

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
You are stocked up on prospects and that's what we need now. Tkachuk is going to be traded 100%. Don't need another Kipper having us finish 9th every year.
Can’t trade for Tkachuk . Not enough cap room after we signed our 6 million dollar man.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
what if gaudreau regresses to his past 2 season's performance? what if last season was a fluke? is he still worth it?

There's a better chance of that happening in CBJ with him being centered by Boone f***ing Jenner than it would've here with Jack Hughes. Hughes would've been the most skilled center he played with in his career.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Lol, Palat didn’t want to be here. He wanted $30 million.

Also that 4 mil difference means jack shit when there’s like an 8 mil difference in their actual impact. Should’ve just went for the 6 mil difference and seen if 12 for Gaudreau works. Sure that’s still bad but at least you’re getting an elite player out of it

Reactions: Blackjack

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
“When did that ever keep the Devils from doing anything?” You do realize the Devils were bad for basically all of what you just brought up right?
This isn’t fair .His point was it did not prevent them from signings or making moves. Being good or bad is meaningless in terms of what @NJDevs26 was saying.

We just didn’t make any good moves in those latter years due to a lack of trade capital due to an old roster and selling the farm in the desire to compete at any cost. (Lou)

We have a ton of trade capital for the next decade so thats fine and we won’t be in a cap crunch any time soon. If needed, we’ll deal with Palats contract quite easily.

Now, the key is to not add on anymore risky deals. One or two, ok, more, no.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Also that 4 mil difference means jack shit when there’s like an 8 mil difference in their actual impact. Should’ve just went for the 6 mil difference and seen if 12 for Gaudreau works. Sure that’s still bad but at least you’re getting an elite player out of it
Also a lot riskier

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
There's a better chance of that happening in CBJ with him being centered by Boone f***ing Jenner than it would've here with Jack Hughes. Hughes would've been the most skilled center he played with in his career.

Oh yeah I totally expect his production to take a big dip going there and people will be like “See?” but in reality it’s just because he’s surrounded with not all that much. The best piece he’d have to play with is going to get moved out

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
What's the lineup looking like next year for forwards now that we officially have Palat?
Palat - Hughes - Bratt
Sharangovich - Hischier - Mercer
Haula - Boqvist - Zetterlund
Wood - McLeod - Bastian
With the potential for Holtz if he actually shows up this year.
I would keep Bratt with Nico & Sharangovich with Hughes. Those are the players who work best together. At the end of the day Hughes needs to be paired with the goalscorer in Govy & Nico works best with Bratt who drives a line. I would roll with one of 2 scenarios. I would first try

Palat-Hughes-Sharangovich
Bratt-Nico-Mercer
(Bratt & Mercer had insane chemistry at the beginning of last season)

My second scenario would be
Sharangovich-Hughes-Mercer
Palat-Nico-Bratt

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I would keep Bratt with Nico & Sharangovich with Hughes. Those are the players who work best together. At the end of the day Hughes needs to be paired with the goalscorer in Govy & Nico works best with Bratt who drives a line. I would roll with one of 2 scenarios. I would first try

Palat-Hughes-Sharangovich
Bratt-Nico-Mercer
(Bratt & Mercer had insane chemistry at the beginning of last season)

My second scenario would be
Sharangovich-Hughes-Mercer
Palat-Nico-Bratt
I really don’t hate this top-6.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Oh yeah I totally expect his production to take a big dip going there and people will be like “See?” but in reality it’s just because he’s surrounded with not all that much. The best piece he’d have to play with is going to get moved out
so we'll never really be able to prove anything in that scenario

the palat contract isn't GREAT, but pretend 1M of that cap is split between nico and jack (+500k to their salaries), and we're getting Palat for 5x5. is that better?

Reactions: NJDevs26

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Yeah I mean, I still think he did it to get to Philly quicker. Better chance that he can force a trade to Philly as a Blue Jacket than a Devil or an Islander.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
There’s a perfectly reasonable and more likely possibility that no matter what team he was on his production would’ve dipped.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
A lot of people do not understand how solid of a player he is. I foresee three very very strong seasons ahead that will help our young forwards a lot. Also, if he plays with Jack then I wouldn’t be surprised if he puts up career highs, he’s smart enough to keep up and go where he is neeeed to go. And will also cover him defensively. Or he will play with Nico on a dominant shutdown line.

Years 4 and 5, sure, may be a big decline. We’ll get to that spot and deal with it, it won’t cause
Us issues in our cap. But for now, we have a good player that will help NOW.
100% this. And he is even better in the playoffs.

He's not a guy who leeches off hall of famers for points. He's legit good and has been for quite some time.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Not at all a fan of this signing

When will teams learn to stop handing out long term contracts to middle 6 talent coming out of their prime?

If I were President of the Devils, Fitzgerald would've been fired the moment he came to me for approval on this signing

New Jersey should be conserving their cap space to go big game hunting, not wasting their ammo on chipmunks and pigeons

This has all the makings of Ladd/Eriksson/Neal 2.0

Reactions: Hisch13r

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
This contract is an overpayment for a winning non superstar player.

But it's still not a star player contract. It's not a core player contract.

And it doesn't impede us from signing the core players in house who should make for a winning team over the next decade.

These are bean counter tears flowing here.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
so we'll never really be able to prove anything in that scenario

the palat contract isn't GREAT, but pretend 1M of that cap is split between nico and jack (+500k to their salaries), and we're getting Palat for 5x5. is that better?

You shouldn't be spending riskier elsewhere when you already have bargains, that's how you end up like the Edmonton Oilers with 2 superstars alternating in mediocrity with random playoff runs and missing the playoffs. Again I like Palat as a player, this contract is just utterly disgusting. I still think a team eventually eats the contract if we are competing. It's just tough to assume that.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
So do we put Palat in front of the net on the PP? That was Killorn’s job in Tampa but we can’t be a serious team and have Bastian on our top unit.

Dougie up top, Nico in the middle, Jack and Bratt on outside and Palat in front?

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
He was just in 3 straight Stanley cup finals. Wtf.
What does that have to do with showing a team that you want to win? Signimg a superstar elite player like Gaudreau shows you mean buisness. I’m sure eceryone on the Devils is now like daaaaaaaaaamnnnnn we just got Palat ! Look out Rangers and Hurricanes … here we come !!!

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I mean f*** if you were ok with giving Palat 6 then he should’ve tried to get in on taking Patches for free at 7. He’s a FAR better player and you don’t take on the long term risk. Then you keep the flexibility open to hopefully get someone on a better deal than this shit next year. No matter how you slice it this is bad.
I'd be curious what the timing looked like there. That trade was announced and done about an hour before Johnny chose Columbus. Wonder if we just didn't have the option because we were still stuck in Johnny limbo

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Not at all a fan of this signing

When will teams learn to stop handing out long term contracts to middle 6 talent coming out of their prime?

If I were President of the Devils, Fitzgerald would've been fired the moment he came to me for approval on this deal

New Jersey should be conserving their cap space to go big game hunting, not wasting their ammo on chipmunks and pigeons

This has all the makings of Ladd/Eriksson 2.0

Yup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad