Confirmed with Link: Weekesbomb: Palat to NJ for five-year deal

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Would I like 1 year and/or 1m off this deal? Yes I would, because woof. Was he on my UFA wish list? Nope. Do I wish this was Niederreiter if it had to be one of the remaining bigger UFAs. Yep.

But I’m not going to freak out.

In regards to the Summer of 2016 signings. In 2016-17 salary cap was 73m, so the equivalent of this deal from then is 5.3m. And those deals were made worse because the cap froze at 81.5m from 2019-20 to 2021-22.

The big cap jump was predicted for 2026-27 but now some predict that escrow might get paid off fast enough that the jump comes in 2025-26. Those are years 4-5 of this deal.

So the whole league will get cap relief by the end of this deal. And if we have to buy out the last year or pay to dump it, c'est la vie.

As much as I make fun of “intangible” talk, I do believe in leadership, particularly in leadership by example. Having complimentary savy two-way forward who can run with the big dogs while teaching them a ton is a worthwhile thing to me.

As stand out performer on a Cup team he’ll carry real weight in that room, you can’t just get a random piece from Tampa and pretend that‘s the same thing. (No offense to Barclay Goodrow, who got 6 years/3.64m.)

Fitz better start making smart cheaper value signings though because he just blew 6m on an anti-value signing that’s going to only get worse. He also better get his ass in gear and get our RFAs signed to some nice deals.

But I’m not going to cry over this, it’s done. Hopefully Palet ages well and is a nice compliment to our top young guys.
Thank you for a reasonable take. Seems rare in this thread.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Because it's more than just points with Palat?
Because he actually shows up in the playoffs?
Because he has actually won something in his career?

Seriously don't think some of you have watched this guy play enough

None of those things make a 31 year old worth 6 mil for 5 years to a team that at best is like a WC1 team

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Hughes doesn't need help defensively!!! Remember when that was a thing around here.

Dudes get lost in their numbers sometimes.

An overpay no doubt but I like this deal.
Well I think the point is having a great two way guy with Jack will just make him even more productive since it will be less D zone time. I don’t think anyone is saying Jack stinks in his own zone. Well besides jim lol.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I didn't think she was still a fan tbh but I guess it's in the blood.
Sherry was (rightfully) bitching on Twitter about the terrible bag policy at Prudential during COVID so she was going to the arena.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Wish we would’ve outbid Calgary last year for Coleman instead of this deal. Hopefully Palat ages slightly better since he’s more cerebral and Blake’s game is pure energy, but Blake’s deal doesn’t look bad about now

Reactions: devilsblood

BananaGenetics

Jun 29, 2022
lol you don’t care about his pace even though no one played more than 56 in the previous season. He put up 46 points in 55 games due to the pandemic and you seriously gonna act like that means he’s a 45 point guy lol.
Put up 49 this season in 77. Even if you don’t care about the pace he’s closer to 50 than 40 or 45.
I understand what pace is and the recent circumstances preventing full seasons. But its disingenuous if you're going to tell someone 'yeah hes a 50-55pt player who scores 20' when they havent done that since Jamie Benn was elite.

We all know he has the potential to score 50+ on our team over a full season, but he hasnt done it in six years.

Reactions: Hisch13r

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Sherry was (rightfully) bitching on Twitter about the terrible bag policy at Prudential during COVID so she was going to the arena.
Thats not covid related. Its permanent and its league wide now (I think) and it started in the NFL and NBA I believe.

Had to be some sort of security threat that started all of this.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
we shouldn't yeah, but we did

but we do have that luxury to think about it like the above - we just can't keep doing that

I don't think the idea having Hischier + Hughes on 15.5M deals that you expect to use the savings of those bargains on 31 year old as your plan B but it is what it is at this point. I doubt Bratt gives us a discount in regards to his RFA status now too, the Fiala comparable is out there and he probably knows we're gonna be boned without bringing in an elite talent at least so far up front.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Well I think the point is having a great two way guy with Jack will just make him even more productive since it will be less D zone time. I don’t think anyone is saying Jack stinks in his own zone. Well besides jim lol.
I'm being obnoxious as I see one of the bigger haters of this trade was also one to tout Hughes as a high end defensive guy because of some per 60 stuff last year.

And I love Hughes as a player(does need to stay healthy, though that goes for all players)

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
Ugh cannot believe how bad this day has been. My number one fear was getting him f***

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
So who do you propose we go out and get then?

Nino if he’s far cheaper. Sonny Milano who will be far cheaper. Literally nothing because Palat’s not moving the needle much and I’d rather not strap myself to a long term bad deal.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
The only thing I hate about this signing is it further closes our ideal window to win. Palat is not going to be all that good in year 4 and 5.

I mean ofc they can just get to playoffs in year 4 of his deal when he's a corpse but idk, just feels meh.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
At best he’s I think he’s a fine 2nd liner that’s had the privilege of being the complementary piece to 3 of the leagues best forwards. Then you take into account he’s 31 and making 6 mil and this is going to go so south so quick

It's the very definition of "baffling" that so few are able to see it that way

History has shown the risk/reward for these types of signings almost always leads to a player-only reward

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I understand what pace is and the recent circumstances preventing full seasons. But its disingenuous if you're going to tell someone 'yeah hes a 50-55pt player who scores 20' when they havent done that since Jamie Benn was elite.

We all know he has the potential to score 50+ on our team over a full season, but he hasnt done it in six years.
Because of the pandemic. He easily would’ve hit 50+ in a full season.

It’s much more disingenuous to call him him a 40-45 point guy given the circumstances especially considering even in this past season he was closer to 50 than 40 or 45.

Just trying to make him sound worse than he is and it’s a pathetic attempt at it.

BananaGenetics

Jun 29, 2022
Id put it like this

This deal five years ago (adjusting dollars to the then cap, same caphit %) would look downright awful and people would be making fun of us left and right.

But with how often contracts move nowadays and ownerships around the league being more willing to spend on dead money for future capital.. it bumps it up a solid 2 points on a 1-10 scale

4/10 - would not do again, tasted good but the shits after cost me 5 bucks in toilet paper.

Reactions: OmNomNom and Oneiro

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I'm sure if push really came to shove and we needed to get extra cap space because a player became available in a trade we would find a way to dump Johnsson or find a taker for Tatar even if we retain a small part of his contract. But that's only if a big player becomes available to us which I doubt at this point of the game.

to-now-row fitz!

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It's the very definition of "baffling" that so few are able to see it that way

History has shown the risk/reward for these types of signings almost always leads to a player-only reward

I’ve been saying all along how these types of signings that come back to bite you. If you couldn’t find something reasonable then you’re literally better off doing nothing instead and trying again next year. Palat’s not a guy who will do all that much to help push the team to be a playoff team this year let alone a contender so f*** taking on all this long term risk for such minimal reward

Reactions: Neutrinos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad