Confirmed with Link: Weekesbomb: Palat to NJ for five-year deal

BananaGenetics

Jun 29, 2022
Because of the pandemic. He easily would’ve hit 50+ in a full season.

It’s much more disingenuous to call him him a 40-45 point guy given the circumstances especially considering even in this past season he was closer to 50 than 40 or 45.

Just trying to make him sound worse than he is and it’s a pathetic attempt at it.
Im not trying to make him sound like anything. Its what hes produced

Do I think Ondrej Palat will score 50 next year? If he plays enough games yes, I do. But that requires projection, no matter how small. And for some reason every year he barely squeaks under 50.. maybe its his kryptonite for winning Cups

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
The only thing I hate about this signing is it further closes our ideal window to win. Palat is not going to be all that good in year 4 and 5.

I mean ofc they can just get to playoffs in year 4 of his deal when he's a corpse but idk, just feels meh.
Palat is not a core member of this team, sure he won't be at his best in our "ideal window" but one complimentary piece making 7% of the cap does not "close" the ideal window.

I'm sure Fitz and company know this too. With Holtz and Gritsyuk and potential others, along with our current top 6, I doubt the expect for Palat to be a top 6 forward for too long

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
Nino if he’s far cheaper. Sonny Milano who will be far cheaper. Literally nothing because Palat’s not moving the needle much and I’d rather not strap myself to a long term bad deal.
LOL Sonny Milano, you can't be serious. Talk about a player not moving the needle

Nino is going to get 5x5. Take into the fact nobody wants to come here as a premium FA destination and you get a contract like Palat's

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
I mean, that's just weird
Just look around man. I know we are all fans of this team, but this feels like a massive thorn in the side. We cheaped out on one of the best fwds in the NHL. Perron is getting paid 1.25 M LESS per year, AND only 2 years!!! AND Perron is better. Copp/Trocheck are younger and better.... Also came cheaper. This is going to age so terribly

damn dude what'd he do to your family :sarcasm:
Just sucks we gave out one of the worst deals in free agency, when there's been at least 4 better forwards who signed for less

Reactions: Neutrinos

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Palat is not a core member of this team, sure he won't be at his best in our "ideal window" but one complimentary piece making 7% of the cap does not "close" the ideal window.

I'm sure Fitz and company know this too. With Holtz and Gritsyuk and potential others, along with our current top 6, I doubt the expect for Palat to be a top 6 forward for too long

You clearly didn't really know what I meant by "ideal window". Why sign him when he really won't help for another 4-5 years (if it took that long). That's what I meant. Has nothing to do with the cap.

We make the playoffs next 3 seasons, Palat is a massive boost for that. Otherwise, it's just a whole lot of meh.

Reactions: Hisch13r

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Hopefully Palat can bring some Winning culture to the team and help Hischier learn to become a great NHL captain.
I hope so too. I envision Palat saying something like make a blind drop pass like that just inside the blue line again and make me chase down the breakaway, I am going to smash my stick over your head... I'm too old for this shit.

Whereas Sharangovich smiles sheepishly and says almost a cool move

and Ruff goes chalk it up to learning.

And Hamilton goes tonight is Salvador Dali night at the Met and tomorrow is money count night.

And Severson goes glad it wasn't me

And the goalie goes ya sure and I'm the one who sucks.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Thats not covid related. Its permanent and its league wide now (I think) and it started in the NFL and NBA I believe.

Had to be some sort of security threat that started all of this.
Actually I was just at Prudential and they changed the bag rule, somewhat larger bags are allowed again. (Rather than any “bag” the size of a wallet.)

I assume it was COVID related and they didn’t want staff to closely interact with people and touch their stuff when they had to check inside a bag.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
Perron deal was a good one, I was hoping we were in on him.

I think I'd rather have Palat than Trocheck or Copp

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Just look around man. I know we are all fans of this team, but this feels like a massive thorn in the side. We cheaped out on one of the best fwds in the NHL. Perron is getting paid 1.25 M LESS per year, AND only 2 years!!! AND Perron is better. Copp/Trocheck are younger and better.... Also came cheaper. This is going to age so terribly

Just sucks we gave out one of the worst deals in free agency, when there's been at least 4 better forwards who signed for less
I get not liking the contract, but it read like you were saying that signing him at all was your worst fear, which is weird lol.

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
It sucks. Palat makes us a better team, but he doesn't move the needle at all for us. And that contract is going to be disgusting sooner than later.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
LOL Sonny Milano, you can't be serious. Talk about a player not moving the needle

Nino is going to get 5x5. Take into the fact nobody wants to come here as a premium FA destination and you get a contract like Palat's

Milano’s a decent play who will be cheap. It’s a very low risk deal. This Palat move carries too much unnecessary risk. We’re likely not contending until like year 3 at the very earliest of this deal and it’ll be more like year 4 or 5 which is when he’ll likely have fallen off a cliff and hinders your flexibility

That’s a f***ing stupid reason. You don’t overpay for a high risk/medium reward deal just because you have to. That’s how you get yourself into trouble

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
I get not liking the contract, but it read like you were saying that signing him at all was your worst fear, which is weird lol.
haha fair enough. I think he's a great player for a team in contention, not for us. Screams of a panic move by Fitz

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Nino if he’s far cheaper. Sonny Milano who will be far cheaper. Literally nothing because Palat’s not moving the needle much and I’d rather not strap myself to a long term bad deal.

Why not just take Pacioretty for a year, and see if some of the big potential UFAs hit the market next summer, like Tkachuk and Pastrnak?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Give me Copp over Palat. Comparable players on comparable deals and Copp’s 3 years younger. Didn’t matter there anyway since he was likely going to Detroit no matter what

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Im not trying to make him sound like anything. Its what hes produced

Do I think Ondrej Palat will score 50 next year? If he plays enough games yes, I do. But that requires projection, no matter how small. And for some reason every year he barely squeaks under 50.. maybe its his kryptonite for winning Cups
No it isn’t. It’s extremely disingenuous and you’re absolutely trying to make him sound worse.

Would you or do you think it would be reasonable to say Gaudreau was a 50 point player in the 2 previous seasons?

And even if you want to look at it like that and completely ignore the fact that games were missed due to the pandemic he put up more than 45 points in both of the last 2 seasons.

So even when you look at it in a dumb way like that it’s inaccurate to say he’s a 40-45 point guy.

Clearly just trying to make him sound worse than he is. Couldn’t be more obvious

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Why not just take Pacioretty for a year, and see if some of the big potential UFAs hit the market next summer, like Tkachuk and Pastrnak?

lol I said that earlier in this thread. I guess they held off because they were still in on Johnny and maybe didn’t want to take on Patches as well

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Because of the pandemic. He easily would’ve hit 50+ in a full season.

It’s much more disingenuous to call him him a 40-45 point guy given the circumstances especially considering even in this past season he was closer to 50 than 40 or 45.

Just trying to make him sound worse than he is and it’s a pathetic attempt at it.

You don't sign a player for what he's done or would've done in the past, you sign him for what he's going to do throughout the contract

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Pacioretty had a 10 team NTC, so we don't know if the Devils were on it. The Devils also tried to get Johnny Hockey when the Golden Knight traded him, so they couldn't commit money for Pacioretty then.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

The Rangers are in a win now spot as much as we despise them as Devils fans so again it's more understandable they went in on Trocheck like that. Andrew Copp is also 3 years younger + the more valuable position.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I…I don’t know. Palat is certainly the type of player this team needs to balance out the forward groups a bit. But something feels like this isn’t going to work. Fitz went from trying to acquire another small (albeit elite) finesse guy in his prime to overpaying for a 31 year old middle 6 forward. And I’m not angry that we didn’t get JG, I think we dodged a bullet in terms of having too much finesse in the lineup. But it’s not truly a dodge when you turn around and spend a 60% of that amount on a single player who could turn to shit within a couple of years. Just sort of reeks of desperation and I find it hard to trust the moves this organization makes. What FA signing has worked out here post-Lou? Not counting Dougie being a TBD with the injury in his first year with us.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I didn't think there was a way that Fitz would bend the knee hard to Palat this bad and I was one of the people who was in favor of signing him. Sucks to see.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
The Rangers are in a win now spot as much as we despise them as Devils fans so again it's more understandable they went in on Trocheck like that. Andrew Copp is also 3 years younger + the more valuable position.

Yup this is a win now move for a team that finished 5 last. Granted skater wise they were far better than that but it was still only like average. This doesn’t even come close to vaulting us into contention and by the time we will be contending he’ll have fallen off a cliff. I really can’t believe the way this deal is getting defended. It’s so bad

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
a 31 year old middle 6 forward.
He clearly isn’t a middle 6 forward. Like I’m not even sure how that could be debatable.

I didn't think there was a way that Fitz would bend the knee hard to Palat this bad and I was one of the people who was in favor of signing him. Sucks to see.
Or it was just the cost to get someone he wanted and he decided it was worth it.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad