Confirmed with Link: Weekesbomb: Palat to NJ for five-year deal

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
This is clearly a bad deal.

But it's a relatively small bad deal that says "I want to win now".

This is a message sender type deal. And I think Fitz knows Palat is a message sender type of player. I don't watch TB a ton, but he was very good in the playoffs.

No reason Jersey can't catch fire in the next 5 years and need a guy like him. 31 and got his prime with pedigree.

BananaGenetics

Jun 29, 2022
How is it not a bad deal when you’re strapping yourself to a 31 year old for 5 years and he’s not even worth the cap hit he’s making in year 1 and you say he isn’t even going to do much to help us now. That’s plain as day awful
Because I dont think hes hurting us either and his cap his certainly wont hurt us in the next three years.

Therefore its just a net neutral for me. In theory we probably cost ourselves a 2nd+4th in the 2026-7 draft, but thats the price id pay for some veteran leadership anyway via trade.

You know what you're getting from him at least; this isnt a Palmieri-like player whos hot and cold. If he helps us make the playoffs in the next two years, the cost of moving him is offset IMO.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Can you read numbers man? He’s been a 20 goal 55 point player over the last 3 seasons. You pulled those numbers outta nowhere.

It’s longer than ideal but it shouldn’t restrict us much over the next 3-4 years and worse case it isn’t a bad buyout in 4 years.

Palat has only hit 20 goals once in his career and it was his rookie year.

Reactions: BananaGenetics

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
A lot of tunes will be changed after watching him play next season.

Yes, backend will be a decline but it won’t murder this team as it’s ridiculously being alluded to in here.

Also, goaltending. Thats the variable for this team. Average goaltending would have gotten near the bubble. If we get that magical average goaltending, then we are competing for a spot next season . Palat is the type of veteran you need on every team, especially on one full of kids.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
Which is a fairer criticism but philosophy-wise I'd rather swing big in FA and worry about plan B later, you could definitely make the bird in hand argument though.
Yea, my issue is, they should’ve also offered bura something. Feel he was too focused on johnny and was like eh not offering buds anything

Reactions: youryeah

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
A player that will help once we're in the playoffs. You need players like this once you get there. The thing is, I'm not sure how much he actually helps a team that missed the playoffs by about 40 points get there.

Like the player, despise the contract.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Palat has only hit 20 goals once in his career and it was his rookie year.
Love how people love to conveniently ignore that multiple seasons were cut down by the pandemic.

Put up 17 in 69 and then 15 in 55.

Put up 18 in 77 last season.

Certainly closer to 20 goal scorer than 15.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
lol Imagine thinking the model being bad for Jack means it being bad for Palat is irrelevant. Jack was a 20 year old with immense potential who showed everything but production. Palat is a 31 year old who has already shown his best and has a long track record and still isn’t worth the deal in the short term even though he’s been getting propped up being in one of the best situations in the league riding shotgun to the leagues elite
You can pick any number of cases where his model looks foolish. Not worth paying attention to.

The end of the deal probably won’t be good. If he gives 3 years at the same level of play, that’s fine. I don’t care about having to dump him. And he could easily be a useful player throughout the whole deal.

And is he going to be here playing with dogshit or one of the best young centers in the sport?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Because I dont think hes hurting us either and his cap his certainly wont hurt us in the next three years.

Therefore its just a net neutral for me. In theory we probably cost ourselves a 2nd+4th in the 2026-7 draft, but thats the price id pay for some veteran leadership anyway via trade.

You know what you're getting from him at least; this isnt a Palmieri-like player whos hot and cold. If he helps us make the playoffs in the next two years, the cost of moving him is offset IMO.

So being a “veteran presence” on a team that likely misses the playoffs for at least one of those three years is worth having the inevitable cap dump?

Reactions: Eggtimer

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
What's the lineup looking like next year for forwards now that we officially have Palat?
Palat - Hughes - Bratt
Sharangovich - Hischier - Mercer
Haula - Boqvist - Zetterlund
Wood - McLeod - Bastian

With the potential for Holtz if he actually shows up this year.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Eh

I don’t like it, but I don’t hate it either.

I’m still living in “I don’t trust Blackwood/our goaltending land” to be too worried about this at the current moment.

I think he can definitely help us this year and hopefully the next couple.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
A player that will help once we're in the playoffs. You need players like this once you get there. The thing is, I'm not sure how much he actually helps a team that missed the playoffs by about 40 points get there.

Like the player, despise the contract.

Well I think Fitz is of the mindset Jack, Nico, Mercer, Dougie, Yegor and anything above sieve level goaltending will get us there while Palat is the quintessential veteran who can guide the younger guys.

Will it happen? Lord knows

Reactions: Dialamo

LoktionovMVP

Nov 1, 2018
Tatar was benched multiple times in the playoffs. Palat is a playoff hero.

Funny thing is some of the guys who hate this deal, loved the Tatar signing.
At least the Tatar deal was two years. I understand that the 5 years probably isn't a huge issue given the cap allocation we currently have but for me its more so an issue with the process than the result. Whiff on everything, panic and give out an Okposo/Lucic/Brouwer-esque deal just so we can finish 21 points out of the playoffs instead of 40

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Gaudreau turns 29 in a couple of weeks and a 10x7 70 million dollar contract that takes him to 36 years old is no problem...but a 31 year old getting 5.9 until he's 36 is a bad contract?:huh:

Crazy thought but maybe it’s because one of them is actually an elite player and those players age better and that Johnny at 10 mil is at worst a contract he is worth while 6 mil for Palat is an overpay as is.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Eh

I don’t like it, but I don’t hate it either.

I’m still living in “I don’t trust Blackwood/our goaltending land” to be too worried about this at the current moment.

I think he can definitely help us this year and hopefully the next couple.

If you want to dig deep for goaltending then Markstrom is for sale.

• Wow
Reactions: Bleedred

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
What's the lineup looking like next year for forwards now that we officially have Palat?
Palat - Hughes - Bratt
Sharangovich - Hischier - Mercer
Haula - Boqvist - Zetterlund
Wood - McLeod - Bastian

With the potential for Holtz if he actually shows up this year.
I don’t think fitz is done. I forsee more sizable changes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad