Confirmed with Link: Weekesbomb: Palat to NJ for five-year deal

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
For the record, I don't like the contract. But I don't think it's this massive disaster some are making it out to be. I'd rather overpay Palat as a free agent than to give up the assets it would take to get a guy like Miller and then give him a contract that will likely be even worse than the one we just gave Palat. That would have been a panic move. Signing a guy we've been linked to is not. Doesn't mean this move is good or smart, but I don't think it was a panic move.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If we were a contending team or in our same spot now but insert a bad contract in place of a Mercer, then yeah this deal would be a serious blunder.

But were not. Luke Nemec Holtz Etc are all 3 years away from needing deals, Mercer will come in cheap and Severson if he stays.. hell I bet he gets 6m too.

It can easily be moved with a 2nd with two years left, because I think hell still serve a decent bottom-6 role then so a contending team could see value in him. Maybe a 2nd+3rd idk, not important.

I do appreciate his physicality and veteran leadership. And Id have given him four years at 5m, so its only a tick up in each category.

Id have been more okay with offering Evan Rodrigues the same term, if you felt strongly about a stable contract for the team past two years. 4-5 years around 4.5mil Id guess.

Definitely is one of Fitzgerald's only real question marks IMO. But again, nothing that makes me question him (like taking Nemec over Wright).
Bro I can't take anyone seriously when we're worrying about giving players new contracts that haven't played one game yet. Sorry that's insane.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I didn't think she was still a fan tbh but I guess it's in the blood.
She can't help herself. I think she tried staying silent out of spite at the front office but in the end she loves too many things about the team and the folks still working around the team. It leaks out every now and then.

She was NOT a fan of the Vanacek signing. I asked if she felt it was settling for a 2A and 2B quality duo instead of signing a legit 1A goalie and she said "Precisely". She and I have similar thoughts on this team a lot.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Yeah I am just not a fan of this contract.

6mil a year for a 15 goals 40-45pt player with term is... yeah, kinda feels like the 'we missed out on Gaudreau so f*** it lets do this' deal.

Really would have preferred keeping my 6m and looking toward a trade. Paying players second line money who you expect to be on your third line playing third line minutes when things go well is..

Meh whatever, the contract wont be an issue (but it certainly will be attached to a pick come 2026). I like the player too. Hopefully he helps the kids begin to settle down in the ozone.
Can you read numbers man? He’s been a 20 goal 55 point player over the last 3 seasons. You pulled those numbers outta nowhere.

It’s longer than ideal but it shouldn’t restrict us much over the next 3-4 years and worse case it isn’t a bad buyout in 4 years.

Reactions: NJDevs26

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
This contract is especially weird considering what other UFA forwards got earlier in the day. Perron getting 2x4.75. Copp getting 5x5.625. Burakovsky getting 5x5.5. Giroux getting 3x6.5. Among others. Especially considering that I can't imagine there were many suitors outside of maybe Lou, I don't know how we ended up bidding ourselves up that high. It's not really something we have to worry about right now, but I'd imagine Palat's gonna end up LTIR'd or in Arizona by year 4 for cap space. Hopefully he can give us a couple good years before he starts deteriorating, especially considering he's coming off of 3 consecutive Stanley Cup finals runs at age 32. That's gotta take some kind of toll.

EDIT: Sorry he's 31 not 32

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Can’t wait for a few years from now for everyone’s tune to change when this very likely turns to shit. When is the next CBA? Hopefully they hand out some compliance buyouts again
Relax man. Acting like this after you were acting like giving Gaudreau 11M was nothing to worry about. That was much more risky. This has much less upside but also less risk than that.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
This contract is especially weird considering what other UFA forwards got earlier in the day. Perron getting 2x4.75. Copp getting 5x5.625. Burakovsky getting 5x5.5. Giroux getting 3x6.5. Among others. Especially considering that I can't imagine there were many suitors outside of maybe Lou, I don't know how we ended up bidding ourselves up that high. It's not really something we have to worry about right now, but I'd imagine Palat's gonna end up LTIR'd or in Arizona by year 4 for cap space. Hopefully he can give us a couple good years before he starts deteriorating, especially considering he's coming off of 3 consecutive Stanley Cup finals runs at age 32. That's gotta take some kind of toll.

Muh playoff performer and veteran presence. That’s worth completely overpaying

BananaGenetics

Jun 29, 2022
Bro I can't take anyone seriously when we're worrying about giving players new contracts that haven't played one game yet. Sorry that's insane.
I get the outrage to an extent. But when people start making claims like Fitzgerald is a bad GM or we are ruining the team etc, thats when Im out

Its not a good deal but its not a bad deal either. It wont affect our future contention but I also dont think itll do help much to make the playoffs either. That still lies in the hands of the kids (which is what I wanted to address via trade)

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
If we were a sure fire playoff team id love this, but we’re probably still another year or two away. This contract won’t look good if we’re 7th in the Metro again.

Reactions: Hisch13r

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
He turned 31 3 months ago.

People saying ‘32’ are just trying their best to make it sound worse.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
If we were a sure fire playoff team id love this, but we’re probably still another year or two away. This contract won’t look good if we’re 7th in the Metro again.
fingers crossed we aren't, bc if we are, heads need to roll. fitz is def in the hot seat tho if this fails - he's got ruff to hide against to start, but we'll see

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad