Confirmed with Link: Weekesbomb: Palat to NJ for five-year deal

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Not my place to posture but to give some affirmation he's not just some Clarkson level drop off waiting to happen.... he's been a mainstay on our top line every deep run we had. Timely goals, hits, does it all type of player. Then when you need him to step up, he's there. He's proven it. Yeah he had one of the best playmakers with him but Palat is smart enough to read the seams and get open.

If he's put with highly skilled players, he will as our board put it years ago, be the one that stirs the drink. We've never seen him give up effort wise. A lot of us STILL want him back. You took our only legit top 6 winger not named Kucherov. Take comfort in getting a very good player. Hope he bodes well, just not against us please.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Do people not get the Devils were going to have to throw some caution to the wind eventually? Either by trading assets or handing out a money/term contract that people aren't comfortable with? They weren't going to improve the team simply by having fifteen guys on ELC's within and never giving out a big contract, it's not realistic.

“We have to do something so it doesn’t matter if it shitty or not”

Reactions: LoktionovMVP

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
I mean there's a chance Johnny put us into this position by going rogue and taking the Columbus offer.

Not entirely surprised Palat's price was that high either. He's got the game and makeup that GMs love. Winning pedigree, great fit on most teams, easy to play with, uses his size, etc.

Just got to hope he ages well

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
You shouldn’t be using those extra savings on average top 6 players.
Maybe so, but at a certain point, leaving that spot empty is just as harmful as filling it with an overpaid Palat. Arguably moreso.

This team hasn’t had a player that can make the game easier for his linemates since Zajac who was on his last legs. They need this and desperately missed it last year.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Said it earlier, GM’s would be blinded but his playoff heroics. Palat being a 40 point guy but scoring clutch goals on the way to the Finals is great and all. When he’s just scoring 40 on a non playoff team at 6mil a year and creeping up on 35 years old, nightmare scenario.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah I am just not a fan of this contract.

6mil a year for a 15 goals 40-45pt player with term is... yeah, kinda feels like the 'we missed out on Gaudreau so f*** it lets do this' deal.

Really would have preferred keeping my 6m and looking toward a trade. Paying players second line money who you expect to be on your third line playing third line minutes when things go well is..

Meh whatever, the contract wont be an issue (but it certainly will be attached to a pick come 2026). I like the player too. Hopefully he helps the kids begin to settle down in the ozone.
What do we even have to trade that's worthwhile that people would be willing to trade? Assuming Luke and Mercer and Nemec at this point are pretty well off limits. An unprotected 2023 1st and Holtz? Unless it's for a signed Thachuk, that's more reckless than giving a guy a year and a million or so too much in FA.

Reactions: MachoDiablo

BananaGenetics

Jun 29, 2022
It's fine to be concerned.

"THIS IS THE WORST CONTRACT EVER FITZ SUCKS THE OFFSEASON IS A FAILURE!"

is way WAY past that
If we were a contending team or in our same spot now but insert a bad contract in place of a Mercer, then yeah this deal would be a serious blunder.

But were not. Luke Nemec Holtz Etc are all 3 years away from needing deals, Mercer will come in cheap and Severson if he stays.. hell I bet he gets 6m too.

It can easily be moved with a 2nd with two years left, because I think hell still serve a decent bottom-6 role then so a contending team could see value in him. Maybe a 2nd+3rd idk, not important.

I do appreciate his physicality and veteran leadership. And Id have given him four years at 5m, so its only a tick up in each category.

Id have been more okay with offering Evan Rodrigues the same term, if you felt strongly about a stable contract for the team past two years. 4-5 years around 4.5mil Id guess.

Definitely is one of Fitzgerald's only real question marks IMO. But again, nothing that makes me question him (like taking Nemec over Wright).

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
How do you see his game aging?
Personally I don't see him slowing down for at least a few years. He's not the fastest but he's not slow either. Never been an issue really. Keep in mind his games played takes a hit because of how he plays but it's usually a nagging something or another mid season and he's good to go. I think earlier in his career he had a stretch of 20ish games missed. Played 77 this year and with all the hockey the last few seasons, he hasn't aged a bit.

I would've moved Killorn, Foote and whatever else to have kept him. I like him a lot.

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
This is a terrible terrible contract that is gonna suck really quickly.

We let burakovksy slip through our fingers by being too focused on Gaudreau. Would’ve been a better contract for a better player.

Clear panic move

Reactions: Hisch13r

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
A lot of people do not understand how solid of a player he is. I foresee three very very strong seasons ahead that will help our young forwards a lot. Also, if he plays with Jack then I wouldn’t be surprised if he puts up career highs, he’s smart enough to keep up and go where he is neeeed to go. And will also cover him defensively. Or he will play with Nico on a dominant shutdown line.

Years 4 and 5, sure, may be a big decline. We’ll get to that spot and deal with it, it won’t cause
Us issues in our cap. But for now, we have a good player that will help NOW.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Said it earlier, GM’s would be blinded but his playoff heroics. Palat being a 40 point guy but scoring clutch goals on the way to the Finals is great and all. When he’s just scoring 40 on a non playoff team at 6mil a year and creeping up on 35 years old, nightmare scenario.
A nightmare that is quickly ended by trading the player and attaching some sweetener if need be.

BananaGenetics

Jun 29, 2022
What do we even have to trade that's worthwhile that people would be willing to trade? Assuming Luke and Mercer and Nemec at this point are pretty well off limits. An unprotected 2023 1st and Holtz? Unless it's for a signed Thachuk, that's more reckless than giving a guy a year and a million or so too much in FA.
I dont have Mercer off limits. In fact I think Holtz is more valuable to us and Mercer is more valuable to others.

Theres a bunch of names but you never know if they're truly available. A Tkachuk trade cant be counted on, some 15 teams wanna make that trade.

Id just have kept the cap for an eventual trade, vecause if we didnt sign Palat Id assume Fitzgerald would have been chomping at the bit all season.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is a terrible terrible contract that is gonna suck really quickly.

We let burakovksy slip through our fingers by being too focused on Gaudreau. Would’ve been a better contract for a better player.

Clear panic move
Which is a fairer criticism but philosophy-wise I'd rather swing big in FA and worry about plan B later, you could definitely make the bird in hand argument though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad