Confirmed with Link: Weekesbomb: Palat to NJ for five-year deal

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
What does your lineup look like with him?

Hope you guys enjoy Palat and he does well. Such a likable player the way he plays. Nothing brilliant about the skillset but he's got such high hockey IQ. #1 reason (along with work ethic of course) he's made it this far and is so consistent. Board battles, takeaways, backchecking. He does it all and all so well. Unsung hero of 2020.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeesh this place man. We lose out on JG and get the next best available LW on the market and we’re proclaiming this offseason to be trash and are in #FireFitz mode.

There was literally nothing else Fitz could have done for JG. He simply did not want to come here. An argument can surely be made for Fiala or Cat but to panic and proclaim failure is asinine.

There is no argument to be made about Fiala. He wanted to go to LA. Debrincat without an extension wasn't worth what it would have cost to outbid Ottawa.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Yeesh this place man. We lose out on JG and get the next best available LW on the market and we’re proclaiming this offseason to be trash and are in #FireFitz mode.

There was literally nothing else Fitz could have done for JG. He simply did not want to come here. An argument can surely be made for Fiala or Cat but to panic and proclaim failure is asinine.
This has absolutely nothing to do with Gaudreau.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Yes, the 31 year old coming off a million games of hockey in the last two years is somehow going to explode on the scene.An
Thats why I said somehow and hope to shut up the insanity.

What I expect is his usual production which will be perfectly fine.

And this doom and gloom about him breaking down is unfounded nonsense. Hasn’t happened yet, and he was the healthiest he’s been his entire career last season.

We needed a veteran, we got one, and arguably one of the most respected ones in the entire league.

Holy
Shit.

Reactions: Devs3cups

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
Bratt's agent is probably drooling out the mouth. Get prepared for Bratt to absolutely bend us over. He's going to use Palat as a pure example for why he's worth 8+mill.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Thats why I said somehow and hope to shut up the insanity.

What I expect is his usual production which will be perfectly fine.

And this doom and gloom about him breaking down is unfounded nonsense. Hasn’t happened yet, and he was the healthiest he’s been his entire career last season.

We needed a veteran, we got one, and arguably one of the most respected ones in the entire league.

Holy
Shit.
You can get a productive middle 6 veteran without paying $6 million over 5 years.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
What does your lineup look like with him?

Hope you guys enjoy Palat and he does well. Such a likable player the way he plays. Nothing brilliant about the skillset but he's got such high hockey IQ. #1 reason (along with work ethic of course) he's made it this far and is so consistent. Board battles, takeaways, backchecking. He does it all and all so well. Unsung hero of 2020.

I think he’d be best alongside Hischier and Bratt. Nico loves working the boards and is very good defensively. Think he fits like a glove with those two.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I don't think there was a single thing Fitz could have done today they would not have garnered major complaining.
Yes , its simple . Don’t do anything stupid . Now he did.
He was hellbent on adding a winger , missed out on Gaudreau ( not saying it’s Fitz‘s fault , no way of knowing wtf happened there ) , but the players we should have went after we’re snapped up while we waited on Gaudreau ( again , no blame on Fitz , just nature of the beast ).
HOWEVER , making an overpayment on a 31 year old 2nd line complimentary mediocre player was stupid.
At that price you look elsewhere . Overpaying for leadership is the craziest thing I have ever heard of. Leadership for what ? Keeping the locker room tight after we are out of the playoffs in November ? This is a move you make when you just lost out in the conference finals and looking for depth and experience .

Last edited:

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
When did I allude to talking about last years deals?
The part where you said Fitz is too conservative up until now when he’s literally tried to sign the most expensive player this year and last.

He’s been arguably the most aggressive free agent pursuer the last 2 years. The opposite of conservative.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Just very confused how he managed that contract. Way out of place vs rest of contracts handed out to forwards today when factoring in age/term/aav.

Who the hell else would be bidding up to that......rhetorical, piss off Lou.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I would have been fine with nothing at all. He whiffed on JG, it happens. Don’t make it 10x worse by handing out a disaster contract.

He’s a worse player than Tatar was when he signed. Palat has the advantage of being a playoff performer vs playoff “choker”. That’s not worth an extra 1.5 for an extra 3 and we saw Tatar fall off a cliff this year. These types of contracts are historically f***ing awful.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
This is also a deal you can absolutely make when you sign Hischier and Hughes to the long term deals the Devils have. Almost certainly Bratt’s upcoming extension is going to extend way past this too.

You also have three years till you need to worry about any Holtz/Nemec extension too. It’s more than likely you can buy an extra two years with a bridge on those too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad