Confirmed with Link: Weekesbomb: Palat to NJ for five-year deal

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Idiotic move. Fitz is too conservative up until now then he decides to give out way too much term and $$ on a medicore player that is propped up by playing with elite line-mates .

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
You literally don’t know that. The odds this goes south and requires assets to dump is far from minimal.
At worst it could cause problems when we’re trying to resign Hughes and Nemec in 4 years. Will have a year left, cap should be higher and worst case it’s a buyout.

Longer than I’d like as well but he’s a good player.

Not sure how you can be freaking out like this but were acting like giving Gaudreau 11M was nothing to worry about. He could go right back to the 70 point player he was in the previous two seasons and all the sudden that contract is looking a lot worse for 6 more years.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
I like Palat, i really do but that contract stinks.

Again if we can get 2/3 solid years out of him I’ll be thrilled but man that’s not a great deal.

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
So, uh, if you look at the other contracts handed out today....

This is a travesty lol. Not even because of the overpay....more so because it shows how desperate / knee jerky / unprepared this front office was once again after Plan A failed.

3 years at $6 would be fine. No idea how they gave him an extra 2 at that age with that many miles. Virtually every other forward signing today was better value (ignoring individual team needs). Not a great reflection on the org is this # is accurate.
Doubt it's a knee jerk when we were reported as in on him last night. We likely went a little longer and more expensive than we wanted but there was a big market for palat as being reported right now.

is what it is, ufa sucks

Reactions: Devs3cups

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Feels like the deal is a year too long and probably a million too high on AAV if the 5 x 6 million is correct.

But at some point, Devils needed to make a deal like this. We didn’t exactly have the luxury of a holdover veteran forward from the last regime that most rebuilding teams have. The kids need a player like Palat and constantly differing to the trash heap pickups was never going to turn the corner.

They haven't had a proper vet leader on this team since Zajac left and let's be honest. Trav Trav did very little actually winning in his career.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Yeesh this place man. We lose out on JG and get the next best available LW on the market and we’re proclaiming this offseason to be trash and are in #FireFitz mode.

There was literally nothing else Fitz could have done for JG. He simply did not want to come here. An argument can surely be made for Fiala or Cat but to panic and proclaim failure is asinine.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Yea that's a meh deal.

I get the arguments on both sides. I get that we have the flexibility and he's a great fit.

I get that it can be viewed as bad asset management that could hurt us down the line.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Yeesh this place man. We lose out on JG and get the next best available LW on the market and we’re proclaiming this offseason to be trash and are in #FireFitz mode.

There was literally nothing else Fitz could have done for JG. He simply did not want to come here. An argument can surely be made for Fiala or Cat but to panic and proclaim failure is asinine.

Yeah, because we paid him $30 million and he probably won’t be worth his contract in the first year.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
6m x 5 is terrible. If he’s above a replacement level middle 6er in 4 years we’ll be lucky. Hopefully cap explodes so price doesn’t matter. Year 5 he’ll be dumped unless the team is rebuilding again.

Downside risk of this deal is huge.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad