Confirmed with Link: Weekesbomb: Palat to NJ for five-year deal

BananaGenetics

Jun 29, 2022
Can you read numbers man? He’s been a 20 goal 55 point player over the last 3 seasons. You pulled those numbers outta nowhere.

It’s longer than ideal but it shouldn’t restrict us much over the next 3-4 years and worse case it isn’t a bad buyout in 4 years.
He hasnt scored 50 since 2017. He wont be playing a full 82 often if ever for the rest of his career, considering he never has minus 81 one year.

Hes a 45pt player. I dont much care what a model says or what his pace is, hes 31 not 21.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
If we get 3 solid years out of him I do not give 1 shit about having to dump him. He’s actually good at most of the stuff that we suck at as a team. Oh the horror of signing a deal that Dom’s for shit model says is no good. Check what Dom’s model said about Jack’s deal on the day it was signed.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I get the outrage to an extent. But when people start making claims like Fitzgerald is a bad GM or we are ruining the team etc, thats when Im out

Its not a good deal but its not a bad deal either. It wont affect our future contention but I also dont think itll do help much to make the playoffs either. That still lies in the hands of the kids (which is what I wanted to address via trade)

How is it not a bad deal when you’re strapping yourself to a 31 year old for 5 years and he’s not even worth the cap hit he’s making in year 1 and you say he isn’t even going to do much to help us now. That’s plain as day awful

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If we were a sure fire playoff team id love this, but we’re probably still another year or two away. This contract won’t look good if we’re 7th in the Metro again.
But Fitz is clearly making moves that promote us above "7th in the metro" level.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
You can’t classify it as that because we were rumored in on him last night. He was always plan B and so was this deal.
Interested in him is one thing. Panic if is when you offer him way too much money AND too much term.
Usually you overpay on one or the other l not on both like we did here.
Very shitty job by Fitz today with signings. Other stuff , yeaaaah for him but his signings were dog shit.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Just a hilarious contract considering what was given out TODAY to Strome, Trocheck, and Copp....all who play a premium position and are younger....with more production. All cheaper.....

Like the player. Smart signing....if contracts are irrelevant. Which they aren't...despite what many of you seem to think.

A small overpay is fine, it's Free Agency after all. A horrid overpay is bad for a multitude of reasons, even if you can afford it.

Reactions: Blackjack

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
How is it not a bad deal when you’re strapping yourself to a 31 year old for 5 years and he’s not even worth the cap hit he’s making in year 1 and you say he isn’t even going to do much to help us now. That’s plain as day awful
He’s absolutely worth 6 million for 22-23

Tampa fans are good with that number

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
He hasnt scored 50 since 2017. He wont be playing a full 82 often if ever for the rest of his career, considering he never has minus 81 one year.

Hes a 45pt player. I dont much care what a model says or what his pace is, hes 31 not 21.
lol you don’t care about his pace even though no one played more than 56 in the previous season. He put up 46 points in 55 games due to the pandemic and you seriously gonna act like that means he’s a 45 point guy lol.
Put up 49 this season in 77. Even if you don’t care about the pace he’s closer to 50 than 40 or 45.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
If we get 3 solid years out of him I do not give 1 shit about having to dump him. He’s actually good at most of the stuff that we suck at as a team. Oh the horror of signing a deal that Dom’s for shit model says is no good. Check what Dom’s model said about Jack’s deal on the day it was signed.

lol Imagine thinking the model being bad for Jack means it being bad for Palat is relevant. Jack was a 20 year old with immense potential who showed everything but production. Palat is a 31 year old who has already shown his best and has a long track record and still isn’t worth the deal in the short term even though he’s been getting propped up being in one of the best situations in the league riding shotgun to the leagues elite

Reactions: Unknown Caller

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I see why Fitz did it.

[paraphrasing]
Zajac: "It's a young room..."
Wood: "I think we were actually a little too young..."
Hughes: "This isn't the group we're going to win with..."
Hamilton: "We have to instill some of what I was around in Carolina..."
Fitz: [spends 5 min of year end presser talking about goaltending and the next 25 about attention to detail and habits]

I don't think it's justified unless you really believe the cap will accelerate meaningfully. And to be fair, I think a lot of these tough RFA negotiations are about precisely that.

Derps

Jul 1, 2018
There’s definitely risk that he falls off a cliff very quickly. I think that should at least be acknowledged. These really are the type of deals that can go bad fast.

If he can get through 3 years at his current play, then great, he served his purpose. Can move him at that point with a pick. This team needed to get better. They need to start winning. They couldn’t go into next season with what they had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad