Pre-Game Talk: Week to Get Back (To Where You Once Belong) [@VAN; @CGY; @EDM]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
And 17 less career goals. I find that amazing. If Mack does not break out next year I'll be very worried.

Not going to lie but the fact that Monahen has been steadily improving since he came into the league and MacK, well, hasn't has already started to worry me. It's not that MacK doesn't have the talent, you can see that the kid is gifted, but more and more I get the feeling that the hockey IQ is just not there to really place him as an elite player. It's literally turning into a bad soap opera every time I see MacK with the puck: Skate like a bat out of hell, do your little button hook once gaining the blue line, stickhandle yourself stupid like you're hopped up on acid, deliver awful pass/shoot wide/lose the puck to the opposition. That's pretty much a MacK puck possession sequence in a nutshell.

Like I've mentioned before, though, the kid is still young and can very well turn it around but as time goes on, the chances of that happening will be much less IMO. Prove me wrong MacK as I want nothing more than to see you tear it up for us!

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I have not seen the argument that Monahan improved this year before.

Guess I shouldn't have used the term "steadily improving" but you can't deny the fact that he looks much better now than when he came into the league. I just don't feel the same way about MacK who IMO looks awful at the moment. Crazy considering how well he started the year to think that he'll most likely not match his rookie point totals for the season. Like I said though, I'd like nothing more than for MacK to prove me wrong but until that time, I remain skeptical that he'll ever turn into that elite #1 C we thought he would become after his stellar rookie season.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Monahan is very overrated. There's a myth that he's this big Canadian two way center, but he's not very good defensively.

Gaudreau drives that line completely.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Monahan is very overrated. There's a myth that he's this big Canadian two way center, but he's not very good defensively.

I've watched a bit of Monahan this season and while I don't think he's some 2-way center beast, he does seem more adept at the defensive side of things than MacK. Also yes, it's true that he does benefit from playing with Gaudreau but he's definitely a great young player in his own right as well. As for the Gaudreau driving the line comment, isn't that what we're expecting from MacK as well?

Anyways, I digress. I mentioned Monahan because someone brought him up a few posts before mine. Our guy is MacK and that's the guy I'm rooting for to become that elite #1 C. I was just stating how I feel about his first 3 years in the league.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Some players take a bit of time to figure things out. MacK's talent is immense, it is a matter of time. It doesn't take long to look back a player that played a similar sort of game and had similar struggles... then burst out in his 4th season.

I just don't see the hockey IQ with MacKinnon that will allow him to become amongst the elite in the league.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Mackinnon has grown tremendously since his rookie campaign. You can't just look at the goal and assist columns to see that though. He's become more responsible defensively, even playing important pk time early in this season, shifting seamlessly to center, getting good at face offs, playing against much tougher competition (he was playing against a lot of weak competition for a good chunk of his rookie season), he's taking a lot more shots, and he's maturing as an individual. Let's not press the panic button just yet. I'd sure love to see him reunited with landy though, that's for sure. One day we'll have the depth to make that happen

He's definitely no Kopitar though, that's certain

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Maybe MacK should be the core player to go. He'll be the most expensive to keep and would bring the best return. If they are blowing it up and all.

wowsers, what's happened to you?

i agree.

i think monahan is couture 2.0. maybe little better by the time it's all said and done. like couture and also like stamkos, he doesn't have the puck much on his stick for a center. which is ok when gaudreau is on your line but he has to develop in that area to become a dominant player because he's not going to score goals as well as stamkos.

good player but i take mack over him fairly easily. now this one other center at that draft..

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
This Roy interview on the Fan...they're definitely moving a core player if they miss the playoffs, and that terrifies me.

I'll believe it when I see it. They might look but they'll quickly find out that they won't improve the team if they do that. A full year from Rantanen, Bigras and (hopefully) Varly along possibly Zadorov will do wonders with this team and moving players down into their proper spots.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It really all depends on who they trade, the return, and internal replacements... Duchene, MacK, and Landy would all be very hard to replace. The others would be difficult, but to a lesser degree.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This Roy interview on the Fan...they're definitely moving a core player if they miss the playoffs, and that terrifies me.

This is a little misleading IMO, he didn't say that but he is putting pressure on the core of the team to take a step in the right direction.

Which is the right mindset IMO.

In saying that, Roy needs to stop using guys like Comeau on the power play in the same light.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

Yikes, I was hoping it was just Dater being Dater. This blows. What's wrong with being patient? Shouldn't judge the core until they have the depth and defense to compete with.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I hope it's not Duchene.

I could live with Barrie or ej if a defenseman is coming back, I don't think they would dream of moving MacKinnon, and landeskog has been inconsistent but he's still the captain.

I would be okay with hamonic for ej though. But Roy should go before any of them.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
This is a little misleading IMO, he didn't say that but he is putting pressure on the core of the team to take a step in the right direction.

Which is the right mindset IMO.

In saying that, Roy needs to stop using guys like Comeau on the power play in the same light.
Listen to the way he's talking. He keeps saying it's time for the core to step up, it's on them now. They have to make the playoffs. How much more clear does it need to be? They're ready to move someone if they don't make it.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
varlamov or barrie is the only guys i could stomach.

varly only and only if they can find cheaper replacement allowing them to sign big UFA... everyone knows who i'm talking about.

barrie because he asks for the moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad