Post-Game Talk: We only need five players

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Khaira is reaching Belanger levels of offensive ability. At least he tries hard. But once everyone is back i think hes done for as an Oiler. Everyone except maybe Patrick Russel is better than him. Hes like an AHL call up once your team loses 4 players to injury. Good riddance. So sick of him bobbling easy tap ins. He had one last game 2 with Mcdavid where he messed up the 2 on 1. Ive never seen a player that bad on offense and i watched this team throgh the worst years. I would rather call up JF Jaques at this point over JJ.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
IMO... AA is best when you stick him on his own line and let him be "selfish". He has speed, he has hands and isn't a defensive dynamo.

That type of player belongs... in the middle/bottom 6.

He can feast on lower quality of competition and 2nd/3rd pairing D coverage... and add some MUCH needed scoring boost to the Oilers bottom 6... which would actually be monumentally valuable.

Here's an interesting stat for AA...

Over the last 3 seasons he's had 1.77 pts/60 at 5 on 5 while his team has scored just 2.14 G/60 while he's on the ice.

That shows he absolutely can drive offense on his line... as his IPP (Individual Point Production percentage) is 82.61%.

That rate is up there in the top 5 IPP rates in the NHL over the past 3 seasons along with players like Malkin/McDavid/Barzal/Kucherov/Kane etc. (among players with 100+ games played).

Basically shove him on a line with a couple decent defensive forwards who don't have a lot of offense in their games ("luckily" there's several that fit that mold on the Oilers)... and let AA feast on the lower level of competition down there.

Reactions: nally

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Khaira is reaching Belanger levels of offensive ability. At least he tries hard. But once everyone is back i think hes done for as an Oiler. Everyone except maybe Patrick Russel is better than him. Hes like an AHL call up once your team loses 4 players to injury. Good riddance.

I would not bet on it. He's one of the top PKers along with Sheahan and Archibald on one of the best PKs in the league. That's worth something. There are players who may find themselves in the PB before Khaira--Russell, Haas, even Chiasson.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Yamamoto, Klefbom, Neal, Nygard, Green.

Nygard wouldn't even make the lineup now and was benched previously when he was healthy. Nothing player. Green being missing isn't really a prohibitive obstacle. we didn't even have the guy less than a week. Jets have been dealing with longterm injuries impacting them severely all season. Oilers have pretty much only recently hit the injury bug.

Unrelated comment but so much for Kassian coming back strong. misses 7 games, plays dismal.

OfCorsiDid

Darkness consumes everything.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
PB, I think, but maybe he displaces Nygard, Hass or Khaira. he did show some flashes of skill, but I am not convinced he will be on the ice when injured guys return. I actually liked Khaira's effort. He was good on the PK too.

If Ennis spends anytime in the PB over Kharia and Chaisson I’ll be sending a very strongly worded letter to Tippett.

Reactions: Wyrm

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Great game to watch, was a lot of fun!

lines next game;

AA 97 Kass
DRY
Ennis Sheahan Archi
Russell Haas Chaisson

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
IMO... AA is best when you stick him on his own line and let him be "selfish". He has speed, he has hands and isn't a defensive dynamo.

He can feast on lower quality of competition and 2nd/3rd pairing D coverage... and add some MUCH needed scoring boost to the Oilers bottom 6... which would actually be monumentally valuable.

Over the last 3 seasons he's had 1.77 pts/60 at 5 on 5 while his team has scored just 2.14 G/60 while he's on the ice.

That shows he absolutely can drive offense on his line... as his IPP (Individual Point Production percentage) is 82.61%.

That rate is up there in the top 5 IPP rates in the NHL over the past 3 seasons along with players like Malkin/McDavid/Barzal/Kucherov/Kane etc. (among players with 100+ games played).

Basically shove him on a line with a couple decent defensive forwards who don't have a lot of offense in their games ("luckily" there's several that fit that mold on the Oilers)... and let AA feast on the lower level of competition down there.

He’s like a worse, hockey-version of Theo Walcott. Dude is/was fast as f*** but didn’t really make a great building piece because he wasn’t great to play with. On top of that he didn’t provide quite enough offence on his own to warrant being a franchise player despite, seemingly, having the skill set of one.

AA has Hall’s game, but he’s just levels below in its evacuation and skill set.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting

AA is -70 over the last 3 seasons. His lack of compete without the puck is scary. Just disengages. Its looking so far that its not an accident his on ice numbers are this bad. The bigger story is seen in what AA's GA stats are when he's on the ice, which you left out.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think its way too earlier to rush to judgement about Athanasiou. He's been a line driver through his pro career used to carrying the puck and a big personality. He looks passive adapting to giving the puck to McDavid driving puck possession and being a bit too unselfish/tentative instead of shooting in scoring situations. This is worth more time (and practices) to work out the chemistry (or not). Might help to move Kassian up to give McDavid a known quantity versus freewheeling with two new players. Going into tough buildings Nashville, Dallas and even Chicago might be good anyway to have Kassian's physical presence with Connor.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
AA is new to the team and in the midst of a down year.We're getting a player with limited confidence but the tools needed to be a good offensive player for us. How about his huge backtrack that saved a goal? Was the McDavid line great when he was replaced by Archibald? The reality is that Connor isn't playing like Connor right now and that his line is now the 2nd line because of how well Drai and Nuge have been playing.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
D1737BB1-9E27-43B6-8331-41F13A822CA6-1705-0000002F3FC41303.gif

Reactions: McFuhryous

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Just looking at some stats over the past 3 seasons...

All NHL players with 100+ minutes of PK time over the past 3 years...

Khaira is #20 in the NHL with 4.76 GA/60 and this year he's outstanding at 2.60 GA/60 (5th best in the NHL this season among players with 50+ PK minutes)

Side note... easily the best PK player in the NHL is Evander Kane... 1.98 GA/60 over the past 3 seasons on the PK... and not only that but his team scores 2.82 GF/60 when he's killing penalties... so effectively he's on the PP out there when he's killing penalties.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Oilers probably should go with these lines:

AA-McD-Kass
Nuge-Drai-Yamo
Benson-Ennis-Neal
Nygard-Sheahan-Arch

Decent balance up and down the line

There is no reason to take TEnnis of of McDavids line though. As a matter of fact it would be counterproductive for the line and the player. At least until TEnnis shows that he isnt up to the challenge. So far so good.

I would run with the following until Nygard and Neal come back.....

TEnnis McD Kassian
RNH Drai Yamo
AA Sheahan Archibald
Chiasson Haas Russell

Once Neal and Nygard come back then play them with Haas and switch out Chaisson and Russell.
Neal prefers playing on the right side.

TEnnis McD Kassian
RNH Drai Yamo
AA Sheahan Archibald
Nygard Haas Neal

Reactions: nally

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
AA is -70 over the last 3 seasons. His lack of compete without the puck is scary. Just disengages. Its looking so far that its not an accident his on ice numbers are this bad. The bigger story is seen in what AA's GA stats are when he's on the ice, which you left out.

On a declining Wings team, which you left out

Taylor Hall was a -36 on some garbage Oilers teams. Now this is over a longer period of time, but Taylor Hall is also a much better player in general.

I’m going to reserve judgment on him until Tippett has had some time to mould him. He has barely practiced with the team. Time will tell all.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Just looking at some stats over the past 3 seasons...

All NHL players with 100+ minutes of PK time over the past 3 years...

Khaira is #20 in the NHL with 4.76 GA/60 and this year he's outstanding at 2.60 GA/60 (5th best in the NHL this season among players with 50+ PK minutes)

Side note... easily the best PK player in the NHL is Evander Kane... 1.98 GA/60 over the past 3 seasons on the PK... and not only that but his team scores 2.82 GF/60 when he's killing penalties... so effectively he's on the PP out there when he's killing penalties.

Yeah it’s too bad he’s a tire fire 5v5. It’s also too bad 5v5 play is 94% of the 60 minutes.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
AA is new to the team and in the midst of a down year.We're getting a player with limited confidence but the tools needed to be a good offensive player for us. How about his huge backtrack that saved a goal? Was the McDavid line great when he was replaced by Archibald? The reality is that Connor isn't playing like Connor right now and that his line is now the 2nd line because of how well Drai and Nuge have been playing.

4/5 of AA' s seasons have arguably been down years. I mean we can think we have a 50pt 30 goal player here but his career average is far below that. His average hovers more around a 30something point player who is one dimensional and has no intangibles. Theres not many places for those meager and limited attributes. Tippett is a great coach but man this player is a project. He's 25 and he's still suceptible to head down moments where he gives up the puck and just sulks. Bad look in the second period. Gives up the puck twice in a shift and then just skates slowly out of offensive zone with not the least bit of concern. If I noticed it damn straight Tippett will. I think that was his last shift he had tonight on McDline.

What AA needs to realize in a hurry is that some bad press follows him around. He needs to dispel it in a hurry.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
On a declining Wings team, which you left out

Taylor Hall was a -36 on some garbage Oilers teams. Now this is over a longer period of time, but Taylor Hall is also a much better player in general.

I’m going to reserve judgment on him until Tippett has had some time to mould him. He has barely practiced with the team. Time will tell all.

yeah but Taylor Hall ate HUGE minutes for a winger on a horrible club. nearly twice the minutes AA was getting.

Its a bad look if you're hardly on the ice, and missing and scratched a lot of games and you still ahve a league worst +/-

I mean Andreas coming here was -1/GP which is legendary bad, even on a legendary bad team. People forget he only played 45 games and was -45. holy f***.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

Which is why you play him on a line with some decent defensive linemates and play him vs 2nd/3rd tier defensive opposition lines.

I know it's not possible to "hide" a player completely... but if you play to AA's strengths... you want to put him in a position to succeed and that's somewhere where he doesn't have to be option #1 on his line defensively... and he ideally should be in a situation where the opposition is tired from putting up with McDrai... leaving AA to feast and actually score some goals which helps the team and McDrai in the big picture.

Of course "theory" is different that actuality... but I think the general gist is to play each player to their strengths and avoid throwing them in situations that exposes their weaknesses. Hopefully Tippett can work that out for AA.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
4/5 of AA' s seasons have arguably been down years. I mean we can think we have a 50pt 30 goal player here but his career average is far below that. His average hovers more around a 30something point player who is one dimensional and has no intangibles. Theres not many places for those meager and limited attributes. Tippett is a great coach but man this player is a project. He's 25 and he's still suceptible to head down moments where he gives up the puck and just sulks. Bad look in the second period. Gives up the puck twice in a shift and then just skates slowly out of offensive zone with not the least bit of concern. If I noticed it damn straight Tippett will. I think that was his last shift he had tonight on McDline.

What AA needs to realize in a hurry is that some bad press follows him around. He needs to dispel it in a hurry.

He was on pace for 20+ goals in each of his first 4 seasons. He is having a poor season, but is likely at least a 20-20 guy going forward when he gets his game back in order and settles in here.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
He was on pace for 20+ goals in each of his first 4 seasons. He is having a poor season, but is likely at least a 20-20 guy going forward when he gets his game back in order and settles in here.
1-1-2 points and a + 1 in two games. Nothing to complain about here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Which is why you play him on a line with some decent defensive linemates and play him vs 2nd/3rd tier defensive opposition lines.

I know it's not possible to "hide" a player completely... but if you play to AA's strengths... you want to put him in a position to succeed and that's somewhere where he doesn't have to be option #1 on his line defensively... and he ideally should be in a situation where the opposition is tired from putting up with McDrai... leaving AA to feast and actually score some goals which helps the team and McDrai in the big picture.

Of course "theory" is different that actuality.. but I think the general gist is to play each player to their strengths and avoid throwing them in situations that exposes their weaknesses. Hopefully Tippett can work that out for AA.

Do Sheahan and Archibald really look like they can shelter and protect such a player. I like both of these guys but they have dirty GA rate themselves. We're asking bleeders to stop AA bleeding. Seems to me it looks like a lot of blood. ;)

We're not a lineup that can hide things like that and we don't have D pairings that can.

Disconnected comment, and I love Bear, but my lord. 5 mistakes on one shift leading up to a GA. This is what you get sometimes leaning on a rookie D so heavily. Too bad Larsson is playing like crap. Bear needs to be getting less minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad