Post-Game Talk: We only need five players

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think the thing I most gleamed from this game and the last few before it are that this team needs Oscar Klefbom. It needed him yesterday. Thought none of the three pairings were very good.

Kailer, too. McDavid will McDavid with anybody, but Drai at even strength needs a functioning unit to dominate. The Nuge goal was nice but that's more common with Yamamoto being a buzzsaw and winning possession back.

McDavid didn't McDavid tonight so he can't be effective with anybody and Drai's line was the only functioning unit tonight (they had dominate shifts in the 3rd when the rest of the team had nothing) so not sure I agree with this.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I see these pairs that can be used to form multiple scoring lines:

McDavid/Kassian
Draisaitl/Yamamoto
Athanasiou/RNH
Sheahan/Archibald

If only we had some decent natural LWs

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
If AA can play centre, I'd blow it up a bit and do something like this:

Ennis-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Benson-Athanasiou-Neal/Haas/Nygard
Nygard/Haas/Neal-Sheahan-Archibald

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
PB, I think, but maybe he displaces Nygard, Hass or Khaira. he did show some flashes of skill, but I am not convinced he will be on the ice when injured guys return. I actually liked Khaira's effort. He was good on the PK too.
I totally disagree, There us no way that Ennis sees they press box over Khaira. Nygard easily replaces Khaira's spot on the PK when he is back.

When we are fully health I would love to see:

(please disregard the wingers being on their right sides, I can't rememeber)

Ennis - McD - Kass
RNH - Drai - Yamo
Archie - Sheahan - AA
Neal - Haas - Nygard

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I see these pairs that can be used to form multiple scoring lines:

McDavid/Kassian
Draisaitl/Yamamoto
Athanasiou/RNH
Sheahan/Archibald

If only we had some decent natural LWs

No, you don't break up the RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto line, ever. This team has a hard enough with chemistry as is, don't break up the best line in hockey in 2020.

Others on the last page had the right idea with Kassian to the McDavid line with Ennis on the left side (nice mix of skills) and AA in a softer minutes role on the 3rd line so he'd get a chance to drive a line and team him with two responsible players. Neal could move to the Kassian spot when he returns if need be.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
If AA isn't driving, he isn't really noticeable. The kid is Hall-lite. I would play him on the 3rd line but Tip needs to deliver that message without it sounding like a demotion and thereby killing his confidence

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Oilers probably should go with these lines:

AA-McD-Kass
Nuge-Drai-Yamo
Benson-Ennis-Neal
Nygard-Sheahan-Arch

Decent balance up and down the line

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Why did AA get bumped down? I missed the first two periods.

Other than he was the worst player on the ice? He was disengaged, squandered scoring chances, lost several pucks, and most concerning is he doesn't fight for those pucks back. Tippett isn't going to like this player much. Worthy demotion.

Nice Tippett feature on afterhours tonight in anycase.

Reactions: Coffey

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Other than he was the worst player on the ice? He was disengaged, squandered scoring chances, lost several pucks, and most concerning is he doesn't fight for those pucks back. Tippett isn't going to like this player much. Worthy demotion.

Nice Tippett feature on afterhours tonight in anycase.
Thanks. I needed to know this.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
If AA isn't driving, he isn't really noticeable. The kid is Hall-lite. I would play him on the 3rd line but Tip needs to deliver that message without it sounding like a demotion and thereby killing his confidence

Then put him on the 3rd or 4th line. He may work well with Sheahan and Archibald, both play well defensively and Archibald has decent offensive instincts.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
AA needs time to find his place on this team. Still think it's a decent pick up but he's basically just a lesser Hall. Don't expect much.

Reactions: ujju2

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
AA needs time to find his place on this team. Still think it's a decent pick up but he's basically just a lesser Hall. Don't expect much.

I think people forgot how good Taylor Hall was. He was not the generational talent we all hope for when he got drafted, but when he was in Edmonton he was easily a top 5 LW in the game, who drove every line he played on.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
You have to give full credit to the Jets... they played their asses off and had their heads hanging at the end of the game, they put that much into this game. They obviously wanted this game extremely badly and worked their asses off to try and win.

Which only makes this win in regulation even sweeter. :)

We were playing half a jets lineup, we were at home in a critical game and came very close to blowing it. Also being outshot 2-1. Take the W and run, thank You Mike Smith.

The Jets had to have this game. They are now probably done. The Oilers needed this game a lot too, but didn't look like it. Which is disappointing because the Jets would have tied us in the race with a reg time win. Schiefele missed 2 one timers in the 2nd that would have made it 3-1 Jets. Then Drai comes back to pot one with 12 secs left. That was probably the game.

Reactions: Biltmore

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
We were playing half a jets lineup, we were at home in a critical game and came very close to blowing it. Also being outshot 2-1. Take the W and run, thank You Mike Smith.

The Jets had to have this game. They are now probably done. The Oilers needed this game a lot too, but didn't look like it. Which is disappointing because the Jets would have tied us in the race with a reg time win. Schiefele missed 2 one timers in the 2nd that would have made it 3-1 Jets. Then Drai comes back to pot one with 12 secs left. That was probably the game.
We’re missing people as well BUDS.

Reactions: RegDunlop and TB12

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
When you have the two best players in the league, you go out and you tell them one thing — just win baby.

Reactions: Bones2079

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
By my eye Ennis is doing enough to be a regular in the lineup. The guy just loves being here so much and we caught him on a good upbeat season. He's not great around the net but he's a buzz player, gets to pucks, and creates chaos. They'll be a role for him if he continues to play with this kind of speed and tenacity. I have no idea though how he would respond in hometown if things started to go south. Seems to care a lot. Nice feature on afterhours. Looking from his basement he has one crazy mixed up shot. The family is still finding pucks in the rafters lodged there or in the ductwork. Not exactly bar down stuff...;)

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
there are posters who consider AA, "Hall-lite", and a "lesser Hall"?
NeighboringGleamingFlamingo-size_restricted.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad