Post-Game Talk: We only need five players

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
yeah but Taylor Hall ate HUGE minutes for a winger on a horrible club. nearly twice the minutes AA was getting.

Its a bad look if you're hardly on the ice, and missing and scratched a lot of games and you still ahve a league worst +/-

I mean Andreas coming here was -1/GP which is legendary bad, even on a legendary bad team. People forget he only played 45 games and was -45. holy f***.

Well hopefully Tipp can mould him.

Also semi-controversial opinion, no DoD Oilers team was as bad as the 2019-20 Detroit Red Wings. They are super-duper bad. They’re only the second team in NHL history that was eliminated from playoff contention before the trade deadline.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Nygard wouldn't even make the lineup now and was benched previously when he was healthy. Nothing player. Green being missing isn't really a prohibitive obstacle. we didn't even have the guy less than a week. Jets have been dealing with longterm injuries impacting them severely all season. Oilers have pretty much only recently hit the injury bug.

Unrelated comment but so much for Kassian coming back strong. misses 7 games, plays dismal.
Yet Kass did way better on that second line then Chia's son. He created a lot of space for Nuge and Drai multiple times and he was hard on the luck. Still not great but hes a better option than the other bum.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
He was on pace for 20+ goals in each of his first 4 seasons. He is having a poor season, but is likely at least a 20-20 guy going forward when he gets his game back in order and settles in here.

On pace? The player gets injured or scratched a fair amount and I only count the goals that actually happen. The player is 25 and has a very meager 84 career goals and only 156pts. People talking him up as some sort of Hall-lite (not you) is patently ridiculous. This guy almost always had the least impressive stats of the Wings go to core of offensive young players. Thus being the one they let go of. I suspect he's the player that is the mostly likely to leave you always wanting more, and I suspect Stevie Y saw that, and was advised of that.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Do Sheahan and Archibald really look like they can shelter and protect such a player. I like both of these guys but they have dirty GA rate themselves. We're asking bleeders to stop AA bleeding. Seems to me it looks like a lot of blood. ;)

We're not a lineup that can hide things like that and we don't have D pairings that can.

Disconnected comment, and I love Bear, but my lord. 5 mistakes on one shift leading up to a GA. This is what you get sometimes leaning on a rookie D so heavily. Too bad Larsson is playing like crap. Bear needs to be getting less minutes.

I think it's quite possible the lack of much of anything in the bottom 6 that can actually do anything useful with the puck... ie stone hands syndrome... is the reason those players have big GA rates.

If players down there can't generate any offense... by default the puck is crossing centre ice and heading towards your own goal.. over and over and over again... and that's going to create big GA numbers.

Essentially a lack of offense creates goals against just as much (if not more so) than a lack of defense.

Having a legit offensive talent like AA... who can actually wheel and create some offense could be a valuable asset to mix in with guys like Khaira/PRussell/Archibald/Sheahan/Haas/Nygard and whatever else they have down there that scores (at best) once every blue moon.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yet Kass did way better on that second line then Chia's son. He created a lot of space for Nuge and Drai multiple times and he was hard on the luck. Still not great but hes a better option than the other bum.

Chiasson shouldn't even be in the NHL. Wasn't he a walk on last year? He had a crazy luck season (Paajarvi even had one of those) where everything was going in, but theres zero talent with Chiasson and he doesnt have the work ethic to forgive that.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Chiasson shouldn't even be in the NHL. Wasn't he a walk on last year? He had a crazy luck season (Paajarvi even had one of those) where everything was going in, but theres zero talent with Chiasson and he doesnt have the work ethic to forgive that.
It helps when your dad was the GM.

Reactions: jlockhart89

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I think it's quite possible the lack of much of anything in the bottom 6 that can actually do anything useful with the puck... ie stone hands syndrome... is the reason those players have big GA rates.

If players down there can't generate any offense... by default the puck is crossing centre ice and heading towards your own goal.. over and over and over again... and that's going to create big GA numbers.

Essentially a lack of offense creates goals against just as much (if not more) than a lack of defense.

Having a legit offensive talent like AA... who can actually wheel and create some offense could be a valuable asset to mix in with guys like Khaira/PRussell/Archibald/Sheahan/Haas/Nygard and whatever else they have down there that scores (at best) once every blue moon.

Anything is possible, but I'm sure you get my point on the GA risks involved. Sheahan and aRchie unfortunately, and especially Archie can get too deep when they do sustain in other end. So its not a given having more possession would be great either. That might lead to more instances where they become susceptible to counter. I like both players but they've sure had their braincramps as well.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Well hopefully Tipp can mould him.

Also semi-controversial opinion, no DoD Oilers team was as bad as the 2019-20 Detroit Red Wings. They are super-duper bad. They’re only the second team in NHL history that was eliminated from playoff contention before the trade deadline.
That's not controversial....as bad as we were during the DoD, ther have been some teams worse than us.
Buffalo Sabres (yikes)
Colorado Avalanche
Florida Panthers
\Arizona coyotes (given)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
People need to chill on AA. This board in general is way too over dramatic about short sample sizes. If they click on that 2-on-1 then everyone and their grandma is falling over themselves.

Case in point at one time Draisaitl + RNH together were awful ... but now, lo and behold it's not so bad is it?

At camp Joel Persson and Evan Bouchard were the focus on the blue line and no one was talking about Ethan Bear until the end of camp, he was basically discarded on the pecking order.

Kailer Yamamoto was supposedly a dud as a prospect for us 8 months ago.

Maybe give some players more than 3 freaking games before with only one whopping practise. McDavid himself looks a little rusty after 2 weeks out to boot.

This is the same stupidity that led to Ryan Strome getting yanked off McDavid's line after only trying it for like 2 games ... that was a mistake.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
As my late father would say. We are getting down to the nitty gritty now.

I think with Vancouver losing their goalie helps us as their backups are just not ready for the stress of a playoff drive.

Reactions: Mr Sakich

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
On pace? The player gets injured or scratched a fair amount and I only count the goals that actually happen. The player is 25 and has a very meager 84 career goals and only 156pts. People talking him up as some sort of Hall-lite (not you) is patently ridiculous. This guy almost always had the least impressive stats of the Wings go to core of offensive young players. Thus being the one they let go of. I suspect he's the player that is the mostly likely to leave you always wanting more, and I suspect Stevie Y saw that, and was advised of that.

Injuries happen seeing as you are propping Hall up you should realize that a few times Hall's end of season stat totals weren't that great due to injuries. His last 2 seasons here and his first in Jersey were less than great compared to the lockout season and the one the next season. AA is a guy that should give us offense at a reasonable AAV. This trade maybe his reality check and it may take until next season for it to pay big dividends. Time will tell but we paid a lot to get him and should do our best to get him comfortable here and playing at his best.

Reactions: North

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
9b9rEsG.gif

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Anything is possible, but I'm sure you get my point on the GA risks involved. Sheahan and aRchie unfortunately, and especially Archie can get too deep when they do sustain in other end. So its not a given having more possession would be great either. That might lead to more instances where they become susceptible to counter. I like both players but they've sure had their braincramps as well.

There's a few Oilers that aren't exactly stellar defensively...

Draisaitl (who I think you are quite familiar with :) )... has a GA/60 rate of 3.27 GA/60 over the past 3 seasons... which is pretty much the worst number in the entire NHL at 5 on 5 among players with 1500+ minutes of 5 on 5 ice time over the past 3 years.

Obviously he drives offense which makes up for that and he's got a rate of 3.27 GF/60 which allows his team to at least tread water at evens... and then he feasts on the PP which makes him a strong net positive overall.

Point being... GA rates for individuals are still a team stat and they are subject to a lot of context based on strength of opposition/teammates/goalies, offensive/defensive zone usage, TOI usage etc.

I personally don't think you can just point at AA and say he blows defensively and will be a net negative no matter what situation he's in... it's up to the coaches to manage his time and usage to get the best out of him and play to his strengths/manage his weaknesses.

A good corollary is Benning... the team's record when he plays bottom pairing minutes is outstanding... not so much when he plays big minutes. When they play him in a bottom pairing role he is more often than not rock solid and it lifts the rest of the team as well as everyone else has their correct icetime/roles. When he has to play bigger minutes... the team is not nearly as good. That doesn't mean Benning is a bad player (not every player can be a top pairing dman)... it just means he has to be used in a situation that suits his skillset and given the proper ice time to excel and not drown when placed over his head.

AA hopefully will find his role on the team when Tippett can identify and assess his weaknesses/strengths as well.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

I think you and I were the only ones this offseason arguing this point.

Shredator

Oct 6, 2009
Edmonton
I want to try Yama with McDavid when he gets back. Kassian looks better working the cycle then working the rush.

Nuge is a beast. Sign that guy to a life time contract already.

The only "issue" I see with this is that McDavid doesn't really need anyone to get him the puck. He does it all himself.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
The only "issue" I see with this is that McDavid doesn't really need anyone to get him the puck. He does it all himself.

We're right back at McDavid needs linemates, Ennis is good but you need someone who can actually shoot the puck. I guess when Yamamoto gets back you can try Kassian on the 1st line, he knows he owes us some goals. And AA doesn't not work on McDavid's line but it's too late in the season to be testing things out. Ah well, hope everyone stays healthy and comes back soon. No more injuries please!

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
This is a big 3 game roadie.

Nashville and Chicago need to be wins. Dallas is rolling and likely stomps us but four of six points would be massive.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
626 players in the NHL over the past 3 seasons with 1000+ TOI at 5 on 5...

AA ranks:

52nd in goals/60
4th in IPP (individual points percentage)
41st in shots/60
21st in penalties drawn/60

The guy has legitimate offensive skills and speed as evidenced by those numbers above.

The team/coaching just has to utilize him to the best of his abilities and he's going to be a valuable asset for this team.

Selfishness isn't a bad thing when you are a good offensive player.

He's had a shots/60 rate of 9.04 at 5 on 5 over the past 3 seasons and so far with the Oilers his shots/60 rate at 5 on 5 is only 4.71 shots/60 which lines up with the eye test that he's deferring and looking tentative... once he comes around and plays more "selfishly" and starts firing the puck more (closer to his career average) his effectiveness will increase as well.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
I'm beginning to think that this team can't afford to get rid of Larsson. When he's on, he's clearly the best defensive defenseman on the team and even among the defensive prospects, there really isn't anyone who plays his style. Much like in '17, I think he'll be invaluable in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad