Post-Game Talk: We only need five players

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Jones would also be eaten alive against top competition as Nurse is right now. Klefbom and arguably Larsson are the only dmen on this team who can hold their own against the other team’s best.
Based on what? Neither Klefbom or Larsson have played primarily against top comp this year. Nurse-Bear have had that matchup for nearly the entire season...

Only Bear has been good against them overall. Nurse has struggled.

It's like you're just saying things based on nothing? You say something that is objectively untrue like it's a fact. What's up with that lol?

Reactions: npanciroli

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
e42429150afdbe53b98357d8ab6944b1.gif
How do I like both of them? It only let's me like once.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Did I write that incorrectly? There is a period after the 10 players. Then the separate statement "Key players as well".

If its unclear insert "some are key players" somewhere in the mix, which is what I am conveying.
Oilers are missing key players and depth players. Not really that much of a difference.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Based on what? Neither Klefbom or Larsson have played primarily against top comp this year. Nurse-Bear have had that matchup for nearly the entire season...

It's like you're just saying things based on nothing? You say something that is objectively untrue like it's a fact. What's up with that lol?

So Nurse has struggled the entire time playing against top comp on a team that is in the playoffs right now and fighting for a top spot? Bear has been good against them and Nurse has failed miserably?

Do continue with this insight please.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Edmonton Oilers Playoff Chances - Sports Club Stats

Looks like 91 points gives us a 76% chance to make it in.

I guess I should have made my post more clear.

We are almost at the point where the playoff spot is ours to lose. There exists a path where we don't even have to win one game vs a good team and still get in. My post was pointing out the absurdity of that.

IMO, Vancouver is in huge trouble with the Markstrom injury. His loss is worse than us losing 97. There is something wrong in the water in Calgary. I have no idea what is wrong with that team but it looks like they need a heart implant. They have been virtually injury free this year to key players and they are a huge disappointment.

At the beginning of the year, our hope was to be in a position where we are fighting for a playoff spot. Most of us would have accepted 9th in the west with signs of improvement. Now, it almost seems like we are a lock to get in

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
No doubt in my mind that Jones will be a better D than Larsson. Bear already is. Both have a degree of composure, even as rookies, that Larsson has rarely if ever displayed despite being a several year veteran who still doesn't anticipate well, still doesn't have any shake ability, still has trouble buying time. The skill level of Jones and Bear are easily better than Larsson and this is on display any game played. Both make better outlet passes than Larsson already. Both are better PMD than Larsson already. In their freaking rookie seasons.

I mention this specifically because Larsson is supposed to be all of those things. He even came advertised as PMD lite and with huge offensive upside (I never for a moment bought it)

I don't know that anybody is saying Bear or Jones should be on a top pairing now, I'm not, but they are sure looking like the D future of this club.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
So Nurse has struggled the entire time playing against top comp on a team that is in the playoffs right now and fighting for a top spot? Bear has been good against them and Nurse has failed miserably?

Do continue with this insight please.

You're arguing with a guy that states opinions as facts then says that's what you're doing.

This will go nowhere.

Reactions: The Bored Man

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Im saying things based on common sense. Do you want a rookie in Caleb Jones playing more quality minutes in the playoffs than Klefbom and Larsson? I’m pretty sure Tippett doesn’t share the same line of reasoning as you.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
No doubt in my mind that Jones will be a better D than Larsson. Bear already is. Both have a degree of composure, even as rookies, that Larsson has rarely if ever displayed despite being a several year veteran who still doesn't anticipate well, still doesn't have any shake ability, still has trouble buying time. The skill level of Jones and Bear are easily better than Larsson and this is on display any game played.
I don't know that anybody is saying Bear or Jones should be on a top pairing now, I'm not, but they are sure looking like the D future of this club.
Bear is already our top pairing RHD though. Consistently playing against other teams top lines, while Jones-Larsson are getting 2nd comp.

With how bad Nurse has seemed to me this year, I wouldn't mind throwing Jones-Bear out together for some shifts to see what happens. All some of these kids needs is an opportunity and they make the most of it.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
No doubt in my mind that Jones will be a better D than Larsson. Bear already is. Both have a degree of composure, even as rookies, that Larsson has rarely if ever displayed despite being a several year veteran who still doesn't anticipate well, still doesn't have any shake ability, still has trouble buying time. The skill level of Jones and Bear are easily better than Larsson and this is on display any game played. Both make better outlet passes than Larsson already. Both are better PMD than Larsson already. In their freaking rookie seasons.

I mention this specifically because Larsson is supposed to be all of those things. He even came advertised as PMD lite and with huge offensive upside (I never for a moment bought it)

There is one guy.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Bear is already our top pairing RHD though. Consistently playing against other teams top lines, while Jones-Larsson are getting 2nd comp.

With how bad Nurse has seemed to me this year, I wouldn't mind throwing Jones-Bear out together for some shifts to see what happens. All some of these kids needs is an opportunity and they make the most of it.

Yeah lets throw Jones and Bear out there against top pairings.....what could possibly go wrong?

Reactions: Louis Cypher

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You're assuming none of us have bothered watching AA at any point through his career. It's not as if we are forming opinions of the player based on 'literally 3 games'. We have numerous seasons to work with.

Right. I'm sure you put aside time to watch plenty of Red Wings games.

Players adapt to different situations all the time, players mature, players improve aspects of their game with good coaching which is what Tippett is. Lets not just throw him in the trash bin 3 games after being rescued from the most toxic situation in hockey right now. Give him some time to prove himself before judging him, it's going to take some time for him to fit in and buy in if he ever does.

FWIW, I wasn't as crazy about the acquisition as most others were especially at that price which was a bit rich for me but I'm looking at AA with an open mind and am willing to give him a chance. I suggest that you and others try to do the same.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
You're arguing with a guy that states opinions as facts then says that's what you're doing.

This will go nowhere.

Nor does it have to go anywhere. Don't really even have to argue, just prompt him to state something and have a laugh at how off base it is.

Feels like having our own private Calgary Puck right here.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011

I wouldn't go that far. I agree Bear is probably our best defenceman this year against top competition (which is crazy) but Nurse having a few bad games doesn't mean you split that pairing up. Klefbom and Larsson are good at taking some of those minutes Nurse and Bear have been handling. Throw Jones Benning out against easier comp and you are laughing. I don't really have time for Russell when we are fully healthy.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

After decades of watching the Oilers throw young players who are having their real first sustained look with the club into roles against much tougher opposition and watching how often that backfires, I think it prudent to not continue following that route just because Jones has played a good couple week. Let these kids excel in lesser roles over a sustained period of time before we go back to

"Hey this kid has looked great for a little while here, let's give him the toughest minutes and matchups we can.

Ethan Bear being one of not even a handful of young kids to exceed a role has no bearing on pushing other players up the lineup.

It amazes me how many fans have the same line of thinking as past management groups that those people liked to shit on for making bad decisions.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
I wouldn't go that far. I agree Bear is probably our best defenceman this year against top competition (which is crazy) but Nurse having a few bad games doesn't mean you split that pairing up. Klefbom and Larsson are good at taking some of those minutes Nurse and Bear have been handling. Throw Jones Benning out against easier comp and you are laughing. I don't really have time for Russell when we are fully healthy.
Russell/Benning are a very good bottom pair, much like Jones/Benning. I do not think Russell is long for this org right now.

Reactions: npanciroli

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I guess I should have made my post more clear.

We are almost at the point where the playoff spot is ours to lose. There exists a path where we don't even have to win one game vs a good team and still get in. My post was pointing out the absurdity of that.

IMO, Vancouver is in huge trouble with the Markstrom injury. His loss is worse than us losing 97. There is something wrong in the water in Calgary. I have no idea what is wrong with that team but it looks like they need a heart implant. They have been virtually injury free this year to key players and they are a huge disappointment.

At the beginning of the year, our hope was to be in a position where we are fighting for a playoff spot. Most of us would have accepted 9th in the west with signs of improvement. Now, it almost seems like we are a lock to get in

No one thought we'd be making the playoffs at the start of the season considering our cap situation and how Holland only added garbage like Smith, Neal, Sheahan and Archibald.

I think Vancouver is in the biggest trouble with the loss of Markstrom. He's having a Vezina nomination caliber season and they have a tough schedule the rest of the way.

Calgary has stayed relatively healthy this year but there's no way all their players are having career years like they did last season. They'll get in but they lack heart and will probably be out in the first round. Calgary also has the easiest schedule for the rest of the season.

Reactions: Mr Sakich

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Oilers are missing key players and depth players. Not really that much of a difference.

The Oilers don't really have a 1D at present. Unless you're saying Klef=Morrisey. Nobody in the hockey world is saying that. Nor are the Oilers missing a top goal scorer. Nor do the Oilers have vet players like Little, Perreault, Lowry, Buff missing. We don't even have vet support players like that on our roster.

This is the list;

Winnipeg Jets Hockey Injuries | TSN

Winnipeg Jets have one of the higher most man games lost in the NHL this season. we're not anywhere close to that.

Blue Jackets Injury Rate Reaching Recent Historic Pace

Sucks to be Columbus though..;)

Last edited:

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
No one thought we'd be making the playoffs at the start of the season considering our cap situation and how Holland only added garbage like Smith, Neal, Sheahan and Archibald.

I think Vancouver is in the biggest trouble with the loss of Markstrom. He's having a Vezina nomination caliber season and they have a tough schedule the rest of the way.

Calgary has stayed relatively healthy this year but there's no way all their players are having career years like they did last season. They'll get in but they lack heart and will probably be out in the first round. Calgary also has the easiest schedule for the rest of the season.
Calgary might be in tough to make it period. Rittich seems to be showing signs of a goalie that is not a starter. The same reasons he lost the starting job to Smith just before the playoffs.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

I'll give Nurse Benefit of doubt that he's being used way too much, playing minutes beyond what he should, higher than he should, etc, and that he brings some intangibles the club sorely requires. I think he's exhausted, but he's a guy that's never going to say no. With a healthy and complete D, and with our D prospects slotting into roles I could see Nurse settling into a nice 3-4 D.

I think Bear and Jones are presently getting very exciting NHL exposure. lets wait a bit before handing keys? Albeit Tippett has already done that with Bear which speaks miles about where he see's him. This is Tippett that had OEL and knows what elite talent looks like. Sky is the limit for Bear, Jones from early indications. Lets allow them to get fully settled in though.

Reactions: GOilers88

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Larsson continuing his dominant play for the stretch run.

Haas is looking a little spicy lately too. I like his play 5v5 a lot more then Sheahan. I think he would be successful playing wing with McDavid.

Reactions: ujju2

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Oilers don't really have a 1D at present. Unless you're saying Klef=Morrison. Nobody in the hockey world is saying that. Nor are the Oilers missing a top goal scorer. Nor do the Oilers have vet players like Little, Perreault, Lowry, Buff missing. We don't even have vet support players like that on our roster.

This is the list;

Winnipeg Jets have one of the higher most man games lost in the NHL this season. we're not anywhere close to that.

Plenty of the hockey world would say Klefbom is better than Morrisey. Let alone being equal. I assume that's who you are referring to in regards to Morrison.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Larsson continuing his dominant play for the stretch run.

Haas is looking a little spicy lately too. I like his play 5v5 a lot more then Sheahan. I think he would be successful playing wing with McDavid.

Haas is a swiss army knife but not to that degree. The most suspect thing about him is not hands and has trouble with puck control in traffic. He's in his right place. Actually players like Archie, Sheahan, those role players, they have better hands.

Now if you're saying Haas is showing signs of being more of a solid consistent 200ft player than I agree. That is his pedigree and what he's regarded for but NHL acclimating takes time. he's done well.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The Oilers don't really have a 1D at present. Unless you're saying Klef=Morrison. Nobody in the hockey world is saying that. Nor are the Oilers missing a top goal scorer. Nor do the Oilers have vet players like Little, Perreault, Lowry, Buff missing. We don't even have vet support players like that on our roster.

This is the list;

Klefbom is a legit top pairing D and is a big part of why our PP is tops in the league. He's never going to win a Norris but our team is better with him on it.

Reactions: TB12 and RegDunlop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad