Post-Game Talk: We only need five players

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Speaking towards the defensive corps right now, even when healthy I don't think we have any pairing that could match up positively against top comp (Although I'm intrigued to try a Klef & Bear pairing)

I think the Oilers should realize their strength at defense right now is more so the depth rather than the top end skill at the moment. Roll the following 3 pairing at equal icetime 5v5 into the playoffs where each pair has a puck mover and a moreso defensive guy and I think we could see a decent amount of success as the result

Klef-Green/Bear
Nurse-Green/Bear
Jones-Larsson

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Players requiring a reality check, and that have considerable known baggage, and awful corralary numbers need to come into a new team exhibiting a will to change like their NHL lives depend on it. Because they likely do. I've mentioned Spooner in this a fair bit because he was the other guy we brought in that had a suspect coach relationships reputation and with AA that started in Junior, and proceeded to his NHL era. When players have had multiple known differences with coaches, and say a respected team Captain, it raises flags for me. It definitely raises flags.

Holland has made many shrewd moves, if AA was complete shit on and off the ice he would've just made the Ennis trade for a 4th and been done with it. I for one will give it until at least the first 10-15 games of next season before souring on the player.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
IMO... AA is best when you stick him on his own line and let him be "selfish". He has speed, he has hands and isn't a defensive dynamo.

That type of player belongs... in the middle/bottom 6.

He can feast on lower quality of competition and 2nd/3rd pairing D coverage... and add some MUCH needed scoring boost to the Oilers bottom 6... which would actually be monumentally valuable.

Here's an interesting stat for AA...

Over the last 3 seasons he's had 1.77 pts/60 at 5 on 5 while his team has scored just 2.14 G/60 while he's on the ice.

That shows he absolutely can drive offense on his line... as his IPP (Individual Point Production percentage) is 82.61%.

That rate is up there in the top 5 IPP rates in the NHL over the past 3 seasons along with players like Malkin/McDavid/Barzal/Kucherov/Kane etc. (among players with 100+ games played).

Basically shove him on a line with a couple decent defensive forwards who don't have a lot of offense in their games ("luckily" there's several that fit that mold on the Oilers)... and let AA feast on the lower level of competition down there.
Toss him on a line with Sheahan & Archibald and you've got yourself one hell of a speedy line that can be dangerous at times. Tippett does need to iron out some kinks in his game, but I think we have a good player here if he's willing to listen & put in the work.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Seems to be some heated discussion going on, before I left this place was all memes, bison talk, and Super bobs.

Just disappointed in your guys really.

source.gif
Isn’t that how every PGT after a win eventually turns? Crotchety posters eventually return from the pub to complain about the win

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Ah, here he is a number one. Does not mean he is a legit #1 though, just that he might be the best we have right now(I still disagree as I feel Klefbom is not great 5 vs 5).

The reality is is that a lot of teams do not have a real #1, and most rely on two 1B's to play. I think the poster is refering to the true #1's. The guys that are up for the Norris every year. We do not have that type of player here.

We don't you're right.
But people seem to overlook the fact that it's not all that's necessary.
What other team has the 2 best players in the league? Neither are guaranteed recipes for success.

And Klefbom would be a 2/3 on prob 28+ teams.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Speaking towards the defensive corps right now, even when healthy I don't think we have any pairing that could match up positively against top comp (Although I'm intrigued to try a Klef & Bear pairing)

I think the Oilers should realize their strength at defense right now is more so the depth rather than the top end skill at the moment. Roll the following 3 pairing at equal icetime 5v5 into the playoffs where each pair has a puck mover and a moreso defensive guy and I think we could see a decent amount of success as the result

Klef-Green/Bear
Nurse-Green/Bear
Jones-Larsson

With the success that Bear has had this year with Nurse(and they do have chemistry) why does everyone want to split them up? Klef/Bear might be good when they have the puck but neither one is going to break a cycle up down low. Klefbom has a future partner waiting in the AHL that will bring his game to a new level already.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

Klef-Green/Bear
Nurse-Green/Bear
Jones-Larsson

They tried that to start the year, did not go well.
our D pairs didn't start looking good until the coaching staff made the adjustments to what the pairs are now.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
We don't you're right.
But people seem to overlook the fact that it's not all that's necessary.
What other team has the 2 best players in the league? Neither are guaranteed recipes for success.

And Klefbom would be a 2/3 on prob 28+ teams.
Same with Nurse, same with Bear. Reality is we are a team made up of a bunch of 2/4 defenders, a whole lot of 3/4 line players(outside of McD,Nuge and Drai) and two back up goalies. We are well coached and we work hard.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Ah, here he is a number one. Does not mean he is a legit #1 though, just that he might be the best we have right now(I still disagree as I feel Klefbom is not great 5 vs 5).

The reality is is that a lot of teams do not have a real #1, and most rely on two 1B's to play. I think the poster is refering to the true #1's. The guys that are up for the Norris every year. We do not have that type of player here.
It's not a secret that our team only started to struggle once Klefbom got hurt. Even with McDavid out we were still winning.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nuge had a nice snipe, but overall, a meh kind of game. Again, that line really needs Yamo to push the pace and put pressure on the D.

Neither of Drai's goals happen without a good play for a secondary assist from Nuge and a good assist from Connor. At ES he was ok, but he was instrumental in the win along with Cnnor, Leon and Smith.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
It's not a secret that our team only started to struggle once Klefbom got hurt. Even with McDavid out we were still winning.

I never denied he was a minute muncher and takes up important time.
But I do believe that people are not looking at the real struggle we had in December....the one where Klefbom struggled incredibly.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
More talk of Klefbom vs Nurse. I don’t get the hate that is heaped on either of them. They both have flaws as do all our D. Hell, Bear got walked like a 12 yr old on the Connor goal yet not so much as a peep about it.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
so it seems Yamamoto will be back next game, and we have a tight tough March.
This team will be getting healthy at the right time, and just might go into the playoffs running, instead of limping in.
Hopefully Klefbom is back soon, and I think we are a legit threat to challenge for home ice advantage.
I really do think that the game against Vegas on the 31st will be a battle for 1st.

I also hope the last game of the season is one where CGY is playing for the last wld card spot and we punt them.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The Oilers don't really have a 1D at present. Unless you're saying Klef=Morrisey. Nobody in the hockey world is saying that. Nor are the Oilers missing a top goal scorer. Nor do the Oilers have vet players like Little, Perreault, Lowry, Buff missing. We don't even have vet support players like that on our roster.

This is the list;

Winnipeg Jets Hockey Injuries | TSN

Winnipeg Jets have one of the higher most man games lost in the NHL this season. we're not anywhere close to that.

Blue Jackets Injury Rate Reaching Recent Historic Pace

Sucks to be Columbus though..;)

I thought we were on the topic of last nights game, not man games lost this season due to injury.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Lol!!!! Painful time and money hahahaha. If I had the money I would get them all to be honest. Green Ranger was a last second decision. Was going to go white ranger, but he told me I would need it touched up every year or two. White fades so fast. So green it was.

Are you saying we need to set up a G0-Fund-Me page for you so the Oilers can keep winning?

I'm in.

Reactions: tardigrade81

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
More talk of Klefbom vs Nurse. I don’t get the hate that is heaped on either of them. They both have flaws as do all our D. Hell, Bear got walked like a 12 yr old on the Connor goal yet not so much as a peep about it.

Bear isnt asking for 8 million a year and its his first year in the league.

I'm not impressed with Nurse and Larsson given their tenure in the league and expectation about themselves. Who or what does Larsson shut down exactly? Hes constantly in the wrong spot which leads to a goal or scoring chance. This aura of him being an elite shut down dman that can play against the opposing team has gotta be the biggest myth about this club.

As for Nurse lol 8m? Hope Bouchard and Broberg pan out and we can retain them.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
[QUOTE="redgrant, post: 171118737, member: 210707"]Bear isnt asking for 8 million a year and its his first year in the league.

I'm not impressed with Nurse and Larsson given their tenure in the league and expectation about themselves. Who or what does Larsson shut down exactly? Hes constantly in the wrong spot which leads to a goal or scoring chance. This aura of him being an elite shut down dman that can play against the opposing team has gotta be the biggest myth about this club.

As for Nurse lol 8m? Hope Bouchard and Broberg pan out and we can retain them.[/QUOTE]

Neither is Nurse

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Bear isnt asking for 8 million a year and its his first year in the league.

As for Nurse lol 8m? Hope Bouchard and Broberg pan out and we can retain them.
8m? Do you like to just make stuff up or do you have proof of such a claim?

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

a good portion of Oiler fans blamed Nurse for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad