Post-Game Talk: We only need five players

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
With the success that Bear has had this year with Nurse(and they do have chemistry) why does everyone want to split them up? Klef/Bear might be good when they have the puck but neither one is going to break a cycle up down low. Klefbom has a future partner waiting in the AHL that will bring his game to a new level already.

They tried that to start the year, did not go well.
our D pairs didn't start looking good until the coaching staff made the adjustments to what the pairs are now.

IIRC Klef and Bear looked good in the ONE game they played together before Larsson went down and the coaching staff put Bear with Nurse as a result...

Nurse and Bear have looked good together because it was finally the first time we've had a dman that can pass the puck well paired with one of our more "defensive" guys in a long time.. Bear is our best RHD but paired with Nurse they are not good against top composition, all I'm saying is we should try either a different top pairing (Klef and Larsson combined are good enough at moving the puck) or try defense by committee

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
This is an insult to Taylor Hall. Not even joking.
I totally agree , calling aa hall-lite is insulting hall, Aa hasnt even won a consolation prize yet, how dare that get compared to a 4 time lotto ball champion. Hall is a truly generational tank commander, mcdavid of the first pick podium. Plus I dont believe aa managed to kill any coaches during his career yet. So your right, not hall-lite .

Hopefully tips can get him pointed in the right direction

Reactions: Biltmore

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
tumblr_pyzfrnzjSe1u9773so2_540.gif

Smith, Drai, McDavid, RNH and Melissa.
Koskinen > Smith eh?

Reactions: Messrules11

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Were they even in the same draft year?
no, the talk at the time when Nashville traded Seth Jones, they were looking for a Center, and RNH was one of the options....
Nashville opted for RyJo because he was "big"

Cult of Hockey: Oilers offered Nugent-Hopkins for Seth Jones, Spector reports

“Multiple sources have confirmed to Sportsnet that Edmonton general manager Peter Chiarelli offered centre Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to Nashville in a bid to land defenceman Seth Jones,” wrote Spector.
Spector added: “A source explained that Johansen’s size advantage — he’s 6-foot-3 and 218 lbs., compared to 6-foot, 189 lbs. for Nugent-Hopkins — tipped the scales, as it were.”

Last edited:

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Smitty saved our arses out there, so tons of kudos to him. Jets played a hard fast game, and their top line is scary. Good job by Maurice to keep them in th fight despite all the injuries, etc.

Nuge had a nice snipe, but overall, a meh kind of game. Again, that line really needs Yamo to push the pace and put pressure on the D.

McD had a so-so game, but was deadly on the PP, he really is the straw for that specialty. Not sure if he's still getting over the injury or adjusting to new people all the time, but he'll break out of it sooner than later.

AA has been meh-meh so far. Hopefully Anastasia can show us a little more.

I'd keep Ennis with McDavid for sure, but I'd move Kass up there if they can work it out.

Chiasson and Russell can take a turn in the press box when the others come back.

Kris Russell looked really good with Benning, considering he's been out for a long time.

14:59 played. 17 chances against. 30% CF against 3rd comp. Literally the easiest matchup possible to give them and that pairing got destroyed. This is why blatant biases from certain posters are unreliable. Russell-Benning was horrific. Nurse-Bear was horrific. Jones-Larsson was actually really good and carried us to victory last night.

Reactions: npanciroli

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
14:59 played. 17 chances against. 30% CF against 3rd comp. Literally the easiest matchup possible to give them and that pairing got destroyed. This is why blatant biases from certain posters are unreliable. Russell-Benning was horrific. Nurse-Bear was horrific. Jones-Larsson was actually really good and carried us to victory last night.

QoC is highly relevant here. Nurse-Bear were the only ones facing elites, for the most part. Not disagreeing with you per se, just adding further context.

Reactions: duul

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
no, the talk at the time when Nashville traded Seth Jones, they were looking for a Center, and RNH was one of the options....
Nashville opted for RyJo because he was "big"

Cult of Hockey: Oilers offered Nugent-Hopkins for Seth Jones, Spector reports

“Multiple sources have confirmed to Sportsnet that Edmonton general manager Peter Chiarelli offered centre Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to Nashville in a bid to land defenceman Seth Jones,” wrote Spector.
Spector added: “A source explained that Johansen’s size advantage — he’s 6-foot-3 and 218 lbs., compared to 6-foot, 189 lbs. for Nugent-Hopkins — tipped the scales, as it were.”
To be fair, at the time of the trade, Ryan Johansen was very obviously ahead of Nuge and it wasn't really all that close.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
To be fair, at the time of the trade, Ryan Johansen was very obviously ahead of Nuge and it wasn't really all that close.
I didn't think so, I wasn't all that impressed with RyJo.
The dude was getting benched in the minors for being lazy....he just doesn't, and never had a motor.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

I was always a huge Nuge fan (he was my favourite Oiler at the time) so I was obviously a biased 15-year old, but I certainly thought Nuge was a slightly better player at the time.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
QoC is highly relevant here. Nurse-Bear were the only ones facing elites, for the most part. Not disagreeing with you per se, just adding further context.
Absolutely. Nurse-Bear are mostly against top comp every game. Just saying, they had a terrible game last night which is surprising since they've done pretty decently throughout the year. Just an off game for them.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I didn't think so, I wasn't all that impressed with RyJo.
The dude was getting benched in the minors for being lazy....he just doesn't, and never had a motor.

I was always a huge Nuge fan (he was my favourite Oiler at the time) so I was obviously a biased 15-year old, but I certainly thought Nuge was a slightly better player at the time.

You guys are entitled to those opinions of course. But Johanson was coming off 63 and 71 point seasons. Nuge wasn't close to that kind of production.

Reactions: ujju2

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Absolutely. Nurse-Bear are mostly against top comp every game. Just saying, they had a terrible game last night which is surprising since they've done pretty decently throughout the year. Just an off game for them.

They looked like I do when I forget to turn auto back skate off in NHL 20.

Reactions: duul

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
More talk of Klefbom vs Nurse. I don’t get the hate that is heaped on either of them. They both have flaws as do all our D. Hell, Bear got walked like a 12 yr old on the Connor goal yet not so much as a peep about it.
It's like some people don't realise that even if you don't have the semantical #1D, you still need 5 other guys and that having Klef/Nurse/Larsson and apparently Bear means you have 4 legitimate top four defensemen, with Russell/Jones/Green/Benning as your bottom pair and depth guys.

That's a legit defensive corps. Who gives a flying f*** if one of them isn't "a bonafide #1"?

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019

But it is not just an "off game" according to you Nurse has been brutal all season and Bear has carried him.
So which is it? Is it an off game?

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
It's like some people don't realise that even if you don't have the semantical #1D, you still need 5 other guys and that having Klef/Nurse/Larsson and apparently Bear means you have 4 legitimate top four defensemen, with Russell/Jones/Green/Benning as your bottom pair and depth guys.

That's a legit defensive corps. Who gives a flying f*** if one of them isn't "a bonafide #1"?

I am of the belief(and I might be proven wrong by putting this pressure on one kid) that Bouchard will become our undisputed #1 in very short time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad