Post-Game Talk: We only need five players

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
People need to chill on AA. This board in general is way too over dramatic about short sample sizes. If they click on that 2-on-1 then everyone and their grandma is falling over themselves.

Case in point at one time Draisaitl + RNH together were awful ... but now, lo and behold it's not so bad is it?

At camp Joel Persson and Evan Bouchard were the focus on the blue line and no one was talking about Ethan Bear until the end of camp, he was basically discarded on the pecking order.

Kailer Yamamoto was supposedly a dud as a prospect for us 8 months ago.

Maybe give some players more than 3 freaking games before with only one whopping practise. McDavid himself looks a little rusty after 2 weeks out to boot.

This is the same stupidity that led to Ryan Strome getting yanked off McDavid's line after only trying it for like 2 games ... that was a mistake.
Yah the usual suspects have already formed a complete analysis of AA...they have seen all they need to see and he will be their whipping boy forever...sooooo HFoil.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Huge win. Smith had an excellent game but he sure looks like the startfish on goals he lets in.

I've thought out defense core gets too much flack over the years but our D zone coverage late has been just terrible.

RNH has such an underrated shot.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Drivesaitl, rein in your BS already, you've been wrong many times and we will know what we have with AA over a much longer period of time.

You should have learned your lesson with your Yamamoto hate. I mean how wrong can a person be?

Reactions: TB12

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
faceofhorror.org
Good game. Really good game.
AA will come around. It takes a while to get chemistry going when you have a particular set of skills. He may work best as a checking forward on this group with elevated play on the top 6 every now and then. He doesn't have the hands in tight currently to be playing with Connor.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Also really not a fan of K Russell. Guy is not a puck mover in the slightest. Really hope Jones stays in the lineup over him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Drivesaitl, rein in your BS already, you've been wrong many times and we will know what we have with AA over a much longer period of time.

You should have learned your lesson with your Yamamoto hate. I mean how wrong can a person be?

I dislike uncoachable type players. Invariably. Players that come with that kind of baggage get the red flag up from me immediately. I'm open to certain kinds of projects but this player has a lot of cost, as well as perceived benefit. I mean we are talking about the worst GA player in the league. Who is in a whole other area code of bad than anybody else on the Detroit Red Wings team. Player needed a change of scenery. yeah I suppose. But he needed that in Junior as well after conflict with a coach and org so I kind of wonder.

I'm not just taking a flyer on this player and concluding in 4GP. Theres a whole career history I have trouble averting my eyes at.

Curiously the same player played like ass last night in a huge game, on Saturday night, in a game with playoff implications and where he started on the topline with a best player in hockey.

Can a player like this be relied on. I don't think so, but moving on.

Last edited:

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I dislike uncoachable type players. Invariably. Players that come with that kind of baggage get the red flag up from me immediately. I'm open to certain kinds of prospects but this player has a lot of cost, as well as perceived benefit. I mean we are talking about the worst GA player in the league. Who is in a whole other area code of bad than anybody else on the Detroit Red Wings team. Player needed a change of scenery. yeah I suppose. But he needed that in Junior as well after conflict with a coach and org so I kind of wonder.

I'm not just taking a flyer on this player and concluding in 4GP. Theres a whole career history I have trouble averting my eyes at.

Curiously the same player played like ass last night in a huge game, on Saturday night, in a game with playoff implications and where he started on the topline with a best player in hockey.

Can a player like this be relied on. I don't think so, but moving on.

Your analysis is bad.

Reactions: TB12

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
McDavid didn't McDavid tonight so he can't be effective with anybody and Drai's line was the only functioning unit tonight (they had dominate shifts in the 3rd when the rest of the team had nothing) so not sure I agree with this.

Draisaitl's line has been openly mediocre since Yamamoto went down. They had a decent third and an okay first, but the GWG was that lines first point at even strength in three games since Yamamoto got hurt. McDavid has 4 5v4 points away from Draisaitl in 4 games since being back.

Nevermind that we actually had longer samples of Draisaitl with the type of linemates Connor has and normally gets when they're split up, and he wasn't even on a 50 point pace in those games. He needs a functioning unit, Connor does not. He doesn't explode at the net, he doesn't create odd man breaks by himself (at least to anywhere near the same degree, and with the same finish). He needs to feed people and be fed. That's not an insult, that's just the kind of players they are.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Especially after three games.

But hey. Let’s judge him based on his attitude as a teenager, from 7-8 years ago. Because that’s totally relevant right now.
Interesting. I've come to a pretty similar conclusion as @Drivesaitl has re: AA.

His two McPoints aside, he has looked bad. Hilarious how Mike Green was the one who spoke poorly about him in that quote, and they got traded together here. You know Green was speaking as amicably as possible as well. What does he say to his buddies or wife about AA off the record? Probably that he's an ignorant f***ing shithead.

We all want the Oilers to win here. I would love if AA figures it out and becomes a good hockey player for us. Adding another scoring winger would be so valuable given the current state of the team. However, I have a hard time believing that will happen. I'll gladly eat crow if it does, but nothing about his game or demeanor indicates he will amount to much here. Dude looked anemic in one of the most important game of his career so far while gifted a top line spot with a ( LMAO @Drivesaitl ) best player in the game. He has to be a lot better, and I wonder if it was a bit of a wakeup call starting the 3rd with Josh Archibald stealing your spot on the top line.

Probably not for this guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Yah the usual suspects have already formed a complete analysis of AA...they have seen all they need to see and he will be their whipping boy forever...sooooo HFoil.
Sports fans at their finest :) it’s amazing the conclusions people come to after literally 3 games lmao. Happens in every sport though.

Mookie Betts is a Dodger now. Guarantee if he starts the first 10 games slow, they will regret signing him lmao. It’s the way sports fans are. Thank friggin God they aren’t coaches.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Sports fans at their finest :) it’s amazing the conclusions people come to after literally 3 games lmao. Happens in every sport though.

Mookie Betts is a Dodger now. Guarantee if he starts the first 10 games slow, they will regret signing him lmao. It’s the way sports fans are. Thank friggin God they aren’t coaches.
You're assuming none of us have bothered watching AA at any point through his career. It's not as if we are forming opinions of the player based on 'literally 3 games'. We have numerous seasons to work with.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
TeamPtsGRRW
P1Vegas801628vs LAKvs NJD@ WPG
P2Edmonton761729@ NSH@ DAL@ CHI
P3Vancouver741826@ CBJvs ARIvs COL
WC1Calgary731623@ FLAvs CBJvs ARI
WC2Nashville721825vs EDM@ MINvs DAL
6Winnipeg721526vs BUFvs VGKvs ARI
7Arizona721525@ VAN@ CGY@ WPG
8Minnesota711828vs WSHvs NSH@ SJS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
if my math is correct, the flames are on pace for 90 to 91 points. Because of our RW advantage, 91 would get us in. We only need 15 points in final 17 games to get there.

We have 7 games that are extremely winnable vs Ana, CHI, CBJ, BJs, NYI, Ott, and SJ. If we win all of those games, we only need 1 tie vs in the other 10 games vs better opponents.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
giphy.gif
What a goody tray...

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
You're assuming none of us have bothered watching AA at any point through his career. It's not as if we are forming opinions of the player based on 'literally 3 games'. We have numerous seasons to work with.

Your judgement is clearly flawed. You are the same poster that thinks Caleb Jones is better than Nurse and that Nurse/Larsson are bottom pair dmen.

Whatever you are stating now, I am just going to go with the opposite. AA will be very good for us.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Your judgement is clearly flawed. You are the same poster that thinks Caleb Jones is better than Nurse and that Nurse/Larsson are bottom pair dmen.

Whatever you are stating now, I am just going to go with the opposite. AA will be very good for us.
Caleb Jones had a CF% of 76 last night. He carried Larsson, and frankly, the team. Say what you want about that goal where him and Larsson were both nowhere to be found. He dominated the game otherwise.

I will admit that Larsson played well last night as well with a 60% CF, but we are beginning to see him defer the puck to Jones in almost every situation. It's obvious they've figured out or been told how to find success as a pairing.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Fair enough. But Edmonton is not Detroit. Detroit has been a dumpster fire for a long time. Give him a few games with one of the best players in the game. 3 games is entirely too early to base an opinion.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Also really not a fan of K Russell. Guy is not a puck mover in the slightest. Really hope Jones stays in the lineup over him.

When our Dcore is fully healthy I'd rather have Russell over Jones in the playoffs. We'll have 4 players that are good to decent at moving the puck forward in our lineup (Klefbom, Nurse, Bear and Green). We need a couple of defensive Dmen like Larsson and Russell to deal with the more physical playoff game. Jones gets pushed off the puck to easily in the Dzone and would get exposed badly in a 7 game series against a heavy team like the Jets or Blues.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I would also like to point something out.

In 19 minutes of ice time last night, Winnipeg only had 5 shot attempts against Caleb Jones. In 20 minutes for Larsson, they had 12. In 26 minutes for Nurse, they had 36!!!!

Caleb Jones is becoming a shot supression beast. Get this guy on the top pairing ASAP. Nurse has been nothing but a debacle against top comp this year. Figure it out, Tipp.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Caleb Jones had a CF% of 76 last night. He carried Larsson, and frankly, the team. Say what you want about that goal where him and Larsson were both nowhere to be found. He dominated the game otherwise.

I will admit that Larsson played well last night as well with a 60% CF, but we are beginning to see him defer the puck to Jones in almost every situation. It's obvious they've figured out or been told how to find success as a pairing.

Do not feel the pressure to respond here, you are embarassingly wrong on your assessment of Jones/Nurse(give Jones either Nurse or Klef's minutes and we are out of the playoffs), quit digging yourself a deeper hole.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

Looks like it is going to be a painful time for you.

Which Power Ranger are you going to have done tomorrow? I'd advise you to go a little bit smaller. Might run out of space if they go on a winning streak. :)

Reactions: tardigrade81

duul

Jun 21, 2010
When our Dcore is fully healthy I'd rather have Russell over Jones in the playoffs. We'll have 4 players that are good to decent at moving the puck forward in our lineup (Klefbom, Nurse, Bear and Green). We need a couple of defensive Dmen like Larsson and Russell to deal with the more physical playoff game. Jones gets pushed off the puck to easily in the Dzone and would get exposed badly in a 7 game series against a heavy team like the Jets or Blues.
How do you come to this conclusion other than using archaic stereotypes of defencemen?

player 1 - 14:59 ice time, 17 chances against (3rd comp)
player 2 -18:50 ice time, 5 chances against (2nd comp)

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad