Post-Game Talk: We only need five players

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
When our Dcore is fully healthy I'd rather have Russell over Jones in the playoffs. We'll have 4 players that are good to decent at moving the puck forward in our lineup (Klefbom, Nurse, Bear and Green). We need a couple of defensive Dmen like Larsson and Russell to deal with the more physical playoff game. Jones gets pushed off the puck to easily in the Dzone and would get exposed badly in a 7 game series against a heavy team like the Jets or Blues.

Russell is horrible at clearing the zone. Hes defensive sure but hes 5'11 and not exactly a bull out there. If we're playing the Jets or Blues were in the WCF and Russell wont be the one getting us there.

Not a fan of the player.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
How can ten players be all key players? May as well say that all players on a team are key players. That's just silly.

The only key players they were missing was Little, Laine and Morrissey. We matched them by missing Klefbom, Neal and Yamamoto. Buff shouldn't count because he technically hasn't been a Jet all season, neither should lower tier players like Letestu, Lowry and Sbisa.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
if my math is correct, the flames are on pace for 90 to 91 points. Because of our RW advantage, 91 would get us in. We only need 15 points in final 17 games to get there.

We have 7 games that are extremely winnable vs Ana, CHI, CBJ, BJs, NYI, Ott, and SJ. If we win all of those games, we only need 1 tie vs in the other 10 games vs better opponents.
No such thing as extremely winnable games for the Oilers.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Do not feel the pressure to respond here, you are embarassingly wrong on your assessment of Jones/Nurse(give Jones either Nurse or Klef's minutes and we are out of the playoffs), quit digging yourself a deeper hole.
Interesting assumption based on zero evidence.

Nurse is (last time I checked) statistically one of, if not the worst defencemen in the league when up against top comp. How would we be out of the playoffs if we replaced him with a player who has shown he does better when up against the same top comp...?

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
The only key players they were missing was Little, Laine and Morrissey. We matched them by missing Klefbom, Neal and Yamamoto. Buff shouldn't count because he technically hasn't been a Jet all season, neither should lower tier players like Letestu, Lowry and Sbisa.
They all count because you have lesser players filling that role(most of the time). For example losing say Sheahan would be devestating to us, much like Lowry is to them.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Interesting assumption based on zero evidence.

Nurse is (last time I checked) statistically one of, if not the worst defencemen in the league when up against top comp. How would we be out of the playoffs if we replaced him with a player who has shown he does better when up against the same top comp...?

Keep digging, every post you make is ruining your credibility.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
if my math is correct, the flames are on pace for 90 to 91 points. Because of our RW advantage, 91 would get us in. We only need 15 points in final 17 games to get there.

We have 7 games that are extremely winnable vs Ana, CHI, CBJ, BJs, NYI, Ott, and SJ. If we win all of those games, we only need 1 tie vs in the other 10 games vs better opponents.

I highly doubt we're making it in with only 92 points so your analysis is......meh. If we only get 15 points out of last 17 games this place will explode & be unreadable even if we make the playoffs in your scenario.

2 weeks ago Vegas looked like they were done now they are flying high, handily leading the division & now, look like a SC favorite. Other teams on the bubble are going to make a push & I can easily see needing 97 points to get in.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
How do you come to this conclusion other than using archaic stereotypes of defencemen?

player 1 - 14:59 ice time, 17 chances against (3rd comp)
player 2 -18:50 ice time, 5 chances against (2nd comp)

By actually watching games and knowing what playoff hockey is like. I've never been a Russell fan but it was also his first game back from a concussion. Depends on who we play in the playoffs should dictate our bottom pairing D. If we play a fast, softer team then we put in Jones. If we play a heavy, slower team then we put in Russell.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Huge win. Anyone else having increasing concerns about the compete levels of some select players on this team?

I absolutely hate to bring up negatives after a win, but I'm looking for the masses to pile onto me and tell me I'm misreading/miswatching the game.

Reactions: duul

duul

Jun 21, 2010
By actually watching games and knowing what playoff hockey is like. I've never been a Russell fan but it was also his first game back from a concussion. Depends on who we play in the playoffs should dictate our bottom pairing D. If we play a fast, softer team then we put in Jones. If we play a heavy, slower team then we put in Russell.
I would argue that Jones will sooner be on our top pairing than healthy scratched. I guess we'll have to see.

Reactions: npanciroli

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I would also like to point something out.

In 19 minutes of ice time last night, Winnipeg only had 5 shot attempts against Caleb Jones. In 20 minutes for Larsson, they had 12. In 26 minutes for Nurse, they had 36!!!!

Caleb Jones is becoming a shot supression beast. Get this guy on the top pairing ASAP. Nurse has been nothing but a debacle against top comp this year. Figure it out, Tipp.
He doesn't belong anywhere near the top pairing yet. Easy turbo.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
He doesn't belong anywhere near the top pairing yet. Easy turbo.
Yet we have a same-age player in Ethan Bear clearly carrying our defence (most nights). They're both rookies, and both statistically our two best defencemen. How damning is that against Nurse, Klef, Lars, etc?

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Looks like it is going to be a painful time for you.

Which Power Ranger are you going to have done tomorrow? I'd advise you to go a little bit smaller. Might run out of space if they go on a winning streak. :)
Lol!!!! Painful time and money hahahaha. If I had the money I would get them all to be honest. Green Ranger was a last second decision. Was going to go white ranger, but he told me I would need it touched up every year or two. White fades so fast. So green it was.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I highly doubt we're making it in with only 92 points so your analysis is......meh. If we only get 15 points out of last 17 games this place will explode & be unreadable even if we make the playoffs in your scenario.

2 weeks ago Vegas looked like they were done now they are flying high, handily leading the division & now, look like a SC favorite. Other teams on the bubble are going to make a push & I can easily see needing 97 points to get in.

All we need to do is finish the season with the same amount of points as either Vancouver or Calgary and we're guaranteed a top 3 spot. Unless we implode or Vancouver and Calgary both win 80% of their games then we're in. We have a higher chance of winning the division over missing the playoffs.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Yet we have a same-age player in Ethan Bear clearly carrying our defence (most nights). They're both rookies, and both statistically our two best defencemen. How damning is that against Nurse, Klef, Lars, etc?
It's not damning at all. They're legit top 4 guys. You don't throw a rookie on your top paring because he has 38 games under his belt as a rookie playing decent in a third pairing role for a couple weeks. He's not even close to being a top pairing defenseman.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
How can ten players be all key players? May as well say that all players on a team are key players. That's just silly.

Did I write that incorrectly? There is a period after the 10 players. Then the separate statement "Key players as well".

If its unclear insert "some are key players" somewhere in the mix, which is what I am conveying.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Seems to be some heated discussion going on, before I left this place was all memes, bison talk, and Super bobs.

Just disappointed in your guys really.

source.gif

duul

Jun 21, 2010
It's not damning at all. You don't throw a rookie on your top paring because he has 38 games under his belt as a rookie playing decent in a third pairing role. He's not even close to being a top pairing defenseman.
Jones has been playing on our 2nd pairing with ~20 mins a night against 2nd comp, and doing quite well considering his partner (Larsson) has mostly struggled this year in terms of reducing chances against.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
All we need to do is finish the season with the same amount of points as either Vancouver or Calgary and we're guaranteed a top 3 spot. Unless we implode or Vancouver and Calgary both win 80% of their games then we're in. We have a higher chance of winning the division over missing the playoffs.

I'd call getting 15 points from our last 17 games imploding which is what I was responding to so.......yeah.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Jones has been playing on our 2nd pairing with ~20 mins a night against 2nd comp, and doing quite well considering his partner (Larsson) has mostly struggled this year in terms of reducing chances against.
In a very limited sample since Klef went down. I say again, Caleb Jones doesn't belong near the top pairing.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I would also like to point something out.

In 19 minutes of ice time last night, Winnipeg only had 5 shot attempts against Caleb Jones. In 20 minutes for Larsson, they had 12. In 26 minutes for Nurse, they had 36!!!!

Caleb Jones is becoming a shot supression beast. Get this guy on the top pairing ASAP. Nurse has been nothing but a debacle against top comp this year. Figure it out, Tipp.

Jones would also be eaten alive against top competition as Nurse is right now. Klefbom and arguably Larsson are the only dmen on this team who can hold their own against the other team’s best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad