We need to talk about Tampa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
As a Penguins fan you're saying that? Isn't that exactly what the Pens did in 2016? They were sputtering during the first half of the season, fired their coach, then hired Mike Sullivan, went on a tear for the rest of the season, made the playoffs, and ended up winning the Stanley Cup.

You need to follow your own team a little more closely.

He literally said "unless it involves a coaching change."

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Games in hand are only worth a damn if you win them. Seems like you're just going ahead and assuming Tampa collects 5+ out of 6 points, because that's the only way they pass Toronto.

The Leafs are sitting pretty well amongst the group, thanks

:laugh: Oh they are, are they? The Leafs are a hair away from being on the outside looking in after a 4 game win streak but OP couldn't resist taking a shot at the Lightning. What about the Panthers, Buffalo and Montreal all breathing down their necks?

Unfortunately the Leafs can't play Detroit every night.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
As a Penguins fan you're saying that? Isn't that exactly what the Pens did in 2016? They were sputtering during the first half of the season, fired their coach, then hired Mike Sullivan, went on a tear for the rest of the season, made the playoffs, and ended up winning the Stanley Cup.

You need to follow your own team a little more closely.

IIRC, there was a lot of roster upheaval on that team during that season. IIRC, they had an issue with their defensive corp and made changes. Do you see a foundational problem with TB?

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
I think they're just chilling and keeping the pressure off of them. They'll make the playoffs and step on the gas. They've learned from last year's blunder.

Reactions: Hint1k

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
:laugh: Oh they are, are they? The Leafs are a hair away from being on the outside looking in after a 4 game win streak but OP couldn't resist taking a shot at the Lightning. What about the Panthers, Buffalo and Montreal all breathing down their necks?

Unfortunately the Leafs can't play Detroit every night.

Oh I see.. you're a troll. I'm not condoning anyone taking shots, but your take is even more ridiculous. The Leafs are sitting well amongst the group, as in Tor, Fla, Mtl, Buf and Tbl. No one is acting like it's not tight, but singling out Toronto as having a good chance to miss the playoffs right now is pretty laughable, when Florida is the only team that seems likely to pass them once they've played games in hand and the season isn't even half way through. Not to mention, small samples aside (14 games), the Leafs have the third highest point percentage in the league (behind only pens and caps) since they changed their coaching. This idea we are only beating bad teams like Detroit just highlights how trash your comments here are because it's not even close to a fact.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I think they're just chilling and keeping the pressure off of them. They'll make the playoffs and step on the gas. They've learned from last year's blunder.

The only thing about this comment is that it's mostly goaltending and depth that causing this downturn, so I am not sure I can agree.

I think most of us just didn't realize how much they relied on Vasi and their powerplay to win them games in the past. Underneath it all, they were like a much better version of Toronto in that way.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Not good enough. I think they are still behind a few teams. Goaltending isn't good and they have defensive structure issues that can get them into trouble. Unless some things start to click, I dont think this will be their year.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Vasilevskiy is a hige question mark at the moment and that contract has the potential to look very brutal in the upcoming years. On his best day there are very few goalies capable of being as good as Vasy but his lows are VERY low as well. And this season has been just one huge low for him.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Tampa just needs to make it in and they will play one of Toronto / Buffalo / Florida / Montreal in the first round while Boston will get one of Pittsburgh / Carolina / Philadelphia / Islanders.

Everything is going according to plan.

TheFurryPickle

Mar 9, 2019
Nothing, we are just fattening up our odds. We had shit odds for the cup all year last year.. At least its much more juicy now.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That's funny, I was just looking at the Eastern standings and thought to myself "wow the Panthers and Lightning are going to be 2nd and 3rd in the Atlantic and there's a good chance the Leafs will miss the playoffs"

Looks like someone didn't check their games in hand.

I am well aware of their games in hand but those only matter if they win and they haven't shown a level of consistency that makes those matter, not even close

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Like...Vasilevskiy has a -12.81 GSAx. That’s the third worst in the league. They’d probably be right up Boston’s ass with average goaltending.

good thing they just gave him 76 million dollars

gotta love giant Goalie contracts

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
If the standings were based on point %, the “what’s wrong with Tampa narrative would be a lot quieter”

To be fair, they are still out of a playoff spot right now going by point %

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
This is a pretty weak argument. What the Blues accomplished required no room for error and is a pretty huge anomaly in the modern NHL.

They are.

And taking the blues as example is completely irrelevant.

I didnt bring up the Blues, but exactly right, the Blues are not relevant because Tampa is still in a much better spot than they were.

And no the games aren’t must-wins yet. If you want a team that’s better comparable, look at the 17/18 Penguins. They had slightly worse pts % at this time than Tampa and could still afford to coast against bad teams down the stretch.

If you ask me this Tampa team is better.

Will losing make things tougher? Of course, but they could be .500 in early February and you still couldn’t count this team out, they won 62 games last year for crying out loud. Plus, thats when they turned it up in 16/17 and missed by a point - that team was worse on paper.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Tampa just needs to make it in and they will play one of Toronto / Buffalo / Florida / Montreal in the first round while Boston will get one of Pittsburgh / Carolina / Philadelphia / Islanders.

Everything is going according to plan.

Just make it in? I assume you mean just make it in not as a wild card team

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
So you think Boston is going to keep ****ting the bed then? I hope they do but I doubt it

I honestly do. I think they started the season and were riding 1 line and some incredible goaltending, but I think they will be back with the pack by end of January.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
There was a season a few years back when Tampa came into the season as one of Cup favourites, pissed around for a couple of months, then got some injuries, then started playing really well, then missed the playoffs by 1(?) point.

I guess that team had a must-win game in December.

Reactions: JoVel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad