We need to talk about Tampa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
They need Vasilevskiy to get his **** together.

shotPlot-25-5v5-cor.png
Slither.io has joined up with the NHL...

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
It’s pretty weird, i saw more games from them last year but they lost every game i saw from them, even with that record, now this year they have a worse record but they’ve won every game i’ve seen from them this year.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think there is and I think this is it especially if Toronto wins because if that happens that means Tampa would be 6 back of Toronto and 5 back of Florida.

That is quite the hole and I know the blues did it but the first signs of life happened in December.

Tampa has shown NO signs of life.

Last year on Dec 22 the Blues also had 45% pts pct.

Tampa is currently at 56%.

These games are not even close to must-wins right now.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I would still be surprised if they missed the playoffs from this point.
The Lighning definitely aren’t playing great but they have a bunch of games in hand on the rest of the division. And they have way too much talent and history of good play not to figure it out.

Games in hand only matter if you win.

Tampa so far hasn't made them matter

Reactions: The Macho Man

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I'm going with a hot take here. I don't think they are good or will be good this season. This team relies on it's PP too much. If you stifle it they look very average and I got the same impression even back in 2018 playoffs when they were playing the Caps. The PP was red hot, outside of that they got badly outplayed in every area of the game. Now they're not getting the same goaltending they did in the past and the picture is even worse. I don't think they're winning anything this year but probably they'll be able to make the playoffs and get thrown out no later than the 2nd round if they make a coaching change in time.

Last edited:

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
To simplify things. Goaltending.

They've played really well in general since the Global Series but not managed to translate it to the points reflecting their play. Main reason is that the goaltending has not been good enough. Even with decent goaltending we wouldn't be having this thread..

So, as long as Vasi can bounce back, we will be fine.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
You would like to say they are in somewhat cruise control and will turn it up when they need to but they certainly didn't earn that benefit of the doubt after their 1st round exit last year.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
hasnt tampa been the most overrated team in the nhl for the past 4-5 years? its true they had a couple very impressive regular seasons... but they also missed the playoffs and has a 97 point season. if they fail to hit 100 points this year that would be 3 out of 5 seasons very mediocre with this core

and its not like they have added much glory in playoffs. a couple final four appearances is ok... but people have been calling this team elite... the one to beat... the beast of the east

their cap spent a hell of a lot on some support players that are living on reputation. the depth is now melting away. I think yzerman knew well what he was doing bailing ship here.

no doubt that top line is still amazing... a 1-2 punch at defense that Is second to none... a goaltender capable of being the best in the world...

if the depth came through this team could still finish the second half strong... but imho they arent built for the playoffs. sadly I think this core has peaked. its too bad because if money had been spent more carefully I think this team could have been better

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Cooper has lost the room and Vasy is gifting their opponents games left right and center.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Highly HIGHLY doubt it.
tbh their team is insane and last year they basically won whenever they felt like it so its not just good on paper. kucherov is always a slow starter and he has been pouting but he got benched then scored three points the team just needs to wake up

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I wanted tot start a thread like this a few times over the past month but the underlying everything shows they’ll figure it out and take out the garbage teams in the Atlantic that don’t deserve to be there like Buffalo.

but this thread lost me at “must win”

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I'm going with a hot take here. I don't think they are good or will be good this season. This team relies on it's PP too much. If you stifle it they look very average and I got the same impression even back in 2018 playoffs when they were playing the Caps. The PP was red hot, outside of that they got badly outplayed in every area of the game. Now they're not getting the same goaltending they did in the past and the picture is even worse. I don't think they're winning anything this year but probably they'll be able to make the playoffs and get thrown out no later than the 2nd round if they make a coaching change in time.
This isnt a hot take. It's the truth. Posters on the Lightning board havent quite caught on to the fact that our PP is actually f***ing amazing (despite going 0/7 last night) and our 5 on 5 is middling at best. Same thing as any playoffs the Bolts have ever played pretty much. This, and shitty goaltending explains why the Lightning are where they're at. What's more, is that I was firmly in the #firecooper camp for a long time; but the team has played so well in the past week or so (minus last night), dominating teams, but just not translating to wins. I dunno how I feel about that, because you feel like at some point, of they keep playing games like that, the ship will right itself. Law of averages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad