We need to talk about Tampa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
At the end of the season barring something unforeseen it’s likely that in some order Boston, Toronto and Tampa will take the Atlantic spots.

Toronto is not a better team than Florida, nor are they going to surpass the Bruins. It will be a fight between all the teams in the division for the 2nd and 3rd spots, aside from Detroit and Ottawa.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
This is a pretty weak argument. What the Blues accomplished required no room for error and is a pretty huge anomaly in the modern NHL.
tbh tho the team that was going for records for wins last year is the team I would expect to do it. its not like they lost anyone that important

Reactions: Chompchompr

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Because this is wild to me, this team went from winning 62 games to being 3 points out of 3rd in the Atlantic 7 back of the wildcard and now face what is basically a MUST win on Monday against Florida.

What's wrong with Tampa?

It December. You want to win obviously, but its not a must win.

Although you would have to suspect Jon Cooper might be on the hit seat if he cant right the ship in the next month or so. With the talent that team has, they need to be winning more games for sure.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Because this is wild to me, this team went from winning 62 games to being 3 points out of 3rd in the Atlantic 7 back of the wildcard and now face what is basically a MUST win on Monday against Florida.

What's wrong with Tampa?

I'd be more worried that they wake up costing your Leafs a playoff spot

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
As much as Tampa has looked like absolute garbage this year, it's really their goaltending sinking them.

Leaf fans should know very well how deflating it is for the team in front when your goalie keeps letting in back-breaking goals.

Very good chance Tampa makes it. Vasilevsky isn't as good as people thought last year, but he's still a good goalie.

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
After years of watching the Pens I'm skeptical of the idea that teams "conserve themselves", or that they're "sleeping giants" that can suddenly wake up in the spring and magically correct bad playing habits that have been plaguing them all year long. Under-performing but talented teams don't usually "turn on a switch" or have radical team improvement come springtime unless it involves a coaching change.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
After years of watching the Pens I'm skeptical of the idea that teams "conserve themselves", or that they're "sleeping giants" that can suddenly wake up in the spring and magically correct bad playing habits that have been plaguing them all year long. Under-performing but talented teams don't usually "turn on a switch" or have radical team improvement come springtime unless it involves a coaching change.
like the biggest problem for them other than coaching and the goalie is kuch hasnt been lit on fire yet. if he gets his head into the game the top 2 lines will start scoring again because he stirs that drink.

like i know he is ppg ish but he hasnt been very good

Reactions: The Shovel Penguin

jibbz

Mar 9, 2019

The only thing that stands in the way of Tampa being a dominant team again is goalkeeping. If Vasi could just start playing like an average starter at least they would immediately be a top 5 team again, and goalies suddenly picking up their game mid-season has happened lots and lots of times already. I mean they're on a playoff spot right now even though they played the hardest schedule so far and their goaltending could not possibly get any worse than it is right now, that alone should tell you just how good they are.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
hasnt tampa been the most overrated team in the nhl for the past 4-5 years? its true they had a couple very impressive regular seasons... but they also missed the playoffs and has a 97 point season. if they fail to hit 100 points this year that would be 3 out of 5 seasons very mediocre with this core

and its not like they have added much glory in playoffs. a couple final four appearances is ok... but people have been calling this team elite... the one to beat... the beast of the east

their cap spent a hell of a lot on some support players that are living on reputation. the depth is now melting away. I think yzerman knew well what he was doing bailing ship here.

no doubt that top line is still amazing... a 1-2 punch at defense that Is second to none... a goaltender capable of being the best in the world...

if the depth came through this team could still finish the second half strong... but imho they arent built for the playoffs. sadly I think this core has peaked. its too bad because if money had been spent more carefully I think this team could have been better
In those 5 years they have a SCF appearance, two ECF appearances (losing to the eventual Cup winners) as well as one of the most dominant regular seasons in history. Even with the first round flameout, and missing the playoffs in there, I don’t think you could call them “overrated”. That’s a pretty excellent run.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

What's wrong with Tampa?

That's funny, I was just looking at the Eastern standings and thought to myself "wow the Panthers and Lightning are going to be 2nd and 3rd in the Atlantic and there's a good chance the Leafs will miss the playoffs"

Looks like someone didn't check their games in hand.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I don't think there is such a thing as a "must win game" in December.

I think last season proved that there isn't much reason to go all out in the regular season. They should make the playoffs, and that's really all they need.

I can understand why you would say this but with how close the Atlantic is whenever you play someone in the Atlantic it is pretty much must win because it seems like it is the only way to catch up to teams

Toronto went 10-4 and only gained like 2pts on teams.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I can understand why you would say this but with how close the Atlantic is whenever you play someone in the Atlantic it is pretty much must win because it seems like it is the only way to catch up to teams

Toronto went 10-4 and only gained like 2pts on teams.
In those 5 years they have a SCF appearance, two ECF appearances (losing to the eventual Cup winners) as well as one of the most dominant regular seasons in history. Even with the first round flameout, and missing the playoffs in there, I don’t think you could call them “overrated”. That’s a pretty excellent run.

Yeah, they have had a great run so far and their core is still young-ish. A coaching change can help them.

I feel like they will have a similar arc to the Capitals...a lot of pain followed by a win. I think they still have a 4-5 year window.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

What's wrong with Tampa?
Go look at Tampa’s schedule in the next couple of months. The Lightning will be in 1st place by the end of February.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
They need Vasilevskiy to get his **** together.

shotPlot-25-5v5-cor.png

Can someone explain this graph? Having trouble understanding how to read it. Im a habs fan and i dont know if that means Price is the best, the worst, or right smack in the middle.

Ps - it is getting worrisome for Tampa. They should still make playoffs fine but at some point you expext them to distance themselves a bit from the pack and it doesnt seem to be happening yet.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
That's funny, I was just looking at the Eastern standings and thought to myself "wow the Panthers and Lightning are going to be 2nd and 3rd in the Atlantic and there's a good chance the Leafs will miss the playoffs"

Looks like someone didn't check their games in hand.

Games in hand are only worth a damn if you win them. Seems like you're just going ahead and assuming Tampa collects 5+ out of 6 points, because that's the only way they pass Toronto.

The Leafs are sitting pretty well amongst the group, thanks

Reactions: The Macho Man

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Much like when the Leafs were playing terrible I think most people realize there's too much talent to miss the playoffs. Same is true with Tampa. I expect a big run at some point and then the Leafs and Lightning to battle it our for 2nd.

Right now as both are currently playing they're way behind the Cap's and B's as serious contenders but that can change depending on how they finish out the season.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
hasnt tampa been the most overrated team in the nhl for the past 4-5 years? its true they had a couple very impressive regular seasons... but they also missed the playoffs and has a 97 point season. if they fail to hit 100 points this year that would be 3 out of 5 seasons very mediocre with this core

and its not like they have added much glory in playoffs. a couple final four appearances is ok... but people have been calling this team elite... the one to beat... the beast of the east

their cap spent a hell of a lot on some support players that are living on reputation. the depth is now melting away. I think yzerman knew well what he was doing bailing ship here.

no doubt that top line is still amazing... a 1-2 punch at defense that Is second to none... a goaltender capable of being the best in the world...

if the depth came through this team could still finish the second half strong... but imho they arent built for the playoffs. sadly I think this core has peaked. its too bad because if money had been spent more carefully I think this team could have been better
Ehhh. I've been somewhat critical of perception, but you may be underselling their successes a bit.

Even with missing the playoffs once, in the last 5 years they're 3rd in the league in playoff wins (behind only Pittsburgh and Washington), and 2nd in the league in playoff win percentage at 0.563.

Reactions: Hint1k

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
K

Why is that? You have what should be a great tandem.
Good question. One has just won the Vezina trophy and signed for $9.5M starting next year and the other is a 1B veteran goaltender. Vasi is posting average backup numbers at best and is nowhere near top-20 let alone top-10 numbers and McE got hung out to dry several times earlier in the season.

Reactions: chuckfinks

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010

As a Penguins fan you're saying that? Isn't that exactly what the Pens did in 2016? They were sputtering during the first half of the season, fired their coach, then hired Mike Sullivan, went on a tear for the rest of the season, made the playoffs, and ended up winning the Stanley Cup.

You need to follow your own team a little more closely.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
1. They have lost 3 games in the last 2 plus weeks to the best team in the league with 2 of them on the road. BFD. That they lost last night is NOT the trigger to doom.

2. Tampa is still recovering from the damage done by Columbus in the playoffs. They are questioning everything they thought they believed in. I doubt it gets fixed this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad