Post-Game Talk: We lost :( and now Vector is mad at me

Feb 20, 2013
3-0 according to these. Undefeated

View attachment 917165

Matches the eye test. They really should have won all three. They have been getting sub-par goaltending so far and tonight Vasilevsky was the best player on the ice. At this point the process matters more than the results and you can't argue with them being the better team in every game.

Referees didn't do the Canucks any favours either. Home opener advantage sort of stuff tonight.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Soucy - Myers is a bigger problem than Forbort - whoever at this point. They may not be as bad but they’re in over their heads as a second pairing.

They got bad results together last year too so I’m not surprised the same is true this year. Myers gets a bit of a pass for tonight given he’s probably not 100% but I thought he looked awful in the Calgary game too.

Soucy hasn’t looked like his steady self either but it’s hard to know how much of that is just playing with Myers.

The team needs to find a way to cobble together two decent pairings then shelter the bottom pairing as best they can. If that means dealing with Forbort-Myers for 10 minutes a night then so be it.

Still think the Myers re-signing will be looked back upon as the biggest mistake of the offseason. The price was probably fair given the market for defenders but he makes roster construction so challenging and is taking up money that could have been used for a real upgrade.

The issue is Myers is a 5 who can't play with our all world number 1, which makes splitting the top pair particularly awkward given Vinny and Juulsen can't be seeing more than 5 minutes with Hughes.

Soucy is definitely the better of the two, but when you go to acquire someone, you're almost forced to move Soucy down instead given the short and long term plans of the defense. Weird spot.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Silovs another stinker game, hoped he would bounce back but this game was filled with some egregious errors.

First goal, just not good play reading or tracking. Yes there is a tip threat at the top of the crease but Juulsen actually recovered and had that guy. Silovs pushes to the top of the crease blindly - he should have had a good track on the pass and come across in one motion and he would have given himself a chance. Basically gave Kucherov an open net.

Second goal, RVH abuse. Absolutely no reason to go down there. The puck carrier is above the goal line because he curled back and didn't go into the corner. There's no net front tip chance so why would you go down? This is shades of Clark's failed automatic RVH trackdown system, and you can see why I'm not a fan. This wasn't a complex situation, and with Silovs down against the post Point basically has the entire far side to hit. It's just very hard to react to the far side shot for Silovs since you have to lean towards the post to complete the RVH.

Third goal, actually a bit of bad luck but also a failure to seal the bottom of the net. This is a perfect time to use the RVH because there's a guy right on the top of the crease, you can see Silovs is already down and has most of the bottom covered before the puck even arrives. A bit of a nitpick - no reason to swipe at the pass across there. RVH is a blocking move, you're better off using your stick to build your low coverage. He gets the first save because RVH seals the bottom but his stick is flailing around so he's off-balance and can't close his 5-hole for the rebound.

So this time he wasn't beat with long shot tracking but you can see he's just not fully developed from a technical perspective. His play reading and general awareness is also not a strong suit and is underdeveloped on top of that.

If you look at both games this is why I said that he should be starting in the AHL ideally. Basically he can get beat clean on shots and in this game where he cleaned that up a bit he's getting beat on technique and just a general lack of game experience.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
watched it on delay. a hot mess. vassilevsky played well but the ning also played a much more solid game until it was not in doubt.

on the bright side, ep started trying harder.

put debrusk with garland.

Reactions: mossey3535

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver
Sharks with a point tonight are now tied in record with the Canucks but ahead in the standings on goal differential.

Oilers are 9 mins from going to 0-4-0.

1729053992359.png

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Silovs another stinker game, hoped he would bounce back but this game was filled with some egregious errors.

First goal, just not good play reading or tracking. Yes there is a tip threat at the top of the crease but Juulsen actually recovered and had that guy. Silovs pushes to the top of the crease blindly - he should have had a good track on the pass and come across in one motion and he would have given himself a chance. Basically gave Kucherov an open net.

Second goal, RVH abuse. Absolutely no reason to go down there. The puck carrier is above the goal line because he curled back and didn't go into the corner. There's no net front tip chance so why would you go down? This is shades of Clark's failed automatic RVH trackdown system, and you can see why I'm not a fan. This wasn't a complex situation, and with Silovs down against the post Point basically has the entire far side to hit. It's just very hard to react to the far side shot for Silovs since you have to lean towards the post to complete the RVH.

Third goal, actually a bit of bad luck but also a failure to seal the bottom of the net. This is a perfect time to use the RVH because there's a guy right on the top of the crease, you can see Silovs is already down and has most of the bottom covered before the puck even arrives. A bit of a nitpick - no reason to swipe at the pass across there. RVH is a blocking move, you're better off using your stick to build your low coverage. He gets the first save because RVH seals the bottom but his stick is flailing around so he's off-balance and can't close his 5-hole for the rebound.

So this time he wasn't beat with long shot tracking but you can see he's just not fully developed from a technical perspective. His play reading and general awareness is also not a strong suit and is underdeveloped on top of that.

If you look at both games this is why I said that he should be starting in the AHL ideally. Basically he can get beat clean on shots and in this game where he cleaned that up a bit he's getting beat on technique and just a general lack of game experience.
I think you're being harsh on that first goal. But the second goal is a really good example of what you've been talking about imo

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Thought it was a good game. Tampa was juiced and Vasy was giving nothing.

Best game ive seen from Bains at this level..

Garland Hoglander Raty did the best job at tilting the ice

our btm 4 D is rough. None of the new free agent signings have looked good yet

Much better from Pettersson but still needs to have positive impact on the scoreboard

Gotta get it going. Panthers wil be a tough one again

Reactions: mossey3535

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I think you're being harsh on that first goal. But the second goal is a really good example of what you've been talking about imo
I'm not. If the puck goes from one player to the other, you need to be square to the first guy and arrive square to the second. That is a trivial movement for an NHL goalie. He pushed to nowhere and paid for it. Not only that, he pushed in a slide to the top of the crease in an open play where the next shot is a guy skating towards the net. Basically just asking to be walked around if the guy comes closer, except he didn't have to because the guy had an open net instead.

All he had to do was watch the pass and move to where it was received. Yeah maybe Kucherov still beats him because it's f***ing Kucherov. But he made a major mistake instead.

Also, this is the Point Kucherov line where Kucherov just stole the puck on that side of the ice and Point has the puck on what's basically a give and go. Just a general lack of awareness and the threats on the ice.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
My only concerns so far is EP. Not even close to playing like a 11m+ forward.

That and the coaching for me. It’s like AV starting a season splitting up the twins & Burrows and putting all the lines in a blender instead of building off the previous season, its unfathomable. Tocchet already has a great top 6 from last year and a great 3rd line, all he had to do was replace Mikheyev with DeBrusk. Sherwood & Sprong would’ve given the 4th line an upgrade instead he’s making things unnecessarily complicated.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
This teams depth is looking like trash. Was never a big fan of Heinen when we have Suter. Sprong is whatever that is lmfaoo. Bains is an AHL’er. Juulsen trash. Forbort should be a 7D. Aman is trash.

No Demko, Petey not producing, Debrusk is already in his 20 game at a time no show act, no Joshua.

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Last season this was how I thought the Canucks would play with Tocchet as a coach. Struggling with offence, limiting creativity and over emphasizing defence.

Took an extra year, but here we are!

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I'm not. If the puck goes from one player to the other, you need to be square to the first guy and arrive square to the second. That is a trivial movement for an NHL goalie. He pushed to nowhere and paid for it. Not only that, he pushed in a slide to the top of the crease in an open play where the next shot is a guy skating towards the net. Basically just asking to be walked around if the guy comes closer, except he didn't have to because the guy had an open net instead.

All he had to do was watch the pass and move to where it was received. Yeah maybe Kucherov still beats him because it's f***ing Kucherov. But he made a major mistake instead.

Also, this is the Point Kucherov line where Kucherov just stole the puck on that side of the ice and Point has the puck on what's basically a give and go. Just a general lack of awareness and the threats on the ice.
Juulsen wasn't there imo. I think the entire rink thought that pass was going for that net front tap in that Juulsen hadn't fully recovered on

Leif Rohlin

Jan 25, 2024
Some wild takes here.

It's October. October hockey is mostly bullshit. A lot of mediocre teams come flying out of the gate and are irrelevant by Christmas. A lot of really good teams get off to slow starts every year and we're seeing that around the league right now.

In October 2010 we won 2 of 7 games, our 4th line was basically unplayable and Luongo looked like an average goalie.

Right now a lot of players individually look somewhere between average and poor because our systems play isn't good. We have every reason to believe that Tocchet and Foote will correct that.

Our D is trash outside of Hughes and Hronek as we knew it would be. It will look less trash if we can get back to being structurally sound like we were last year but it won't be good until we add a top-4 defenseman, which I'm sure we will. Allvin and Rutherford aren't dumb and there's no chance they're going into the playoffs without significantly upgrading this D corps.

That said, I hope the coaching staff has seen enough of Juulsen for a while. Forbort is very limited but he's looked better the last 2 games and is clearly being dragged down by Juulsen on that pairing. There's literally no chance that Desharnais or Friedman would be worse at this point.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Last season this was how I thought the Canucks would play with Tocchet as a coach. Struggling with offence, limiting creativity and over emphasizing defence.

Took an extra year, but here we are!
Did you call it? Did you post this premonition?

It would be amazing if you made a post from last year saying that the team would be struggling with offense, limiting creativity and over emphasizing defense.

That would seriously be over the top!

I want to celebrate you for knowing that!

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Juulsen wasn't there imo. I think the entire rink thought that pass was going for that net front tap in that Juulsen hadn't fully recovered on
Except, if he had been watching the puck off Point's stick it clearly isn't a tip play. Angle is completely wrong.

A shot for a tip is usually still on net. You have to track the puck normally until it reaches the tip point. Basically Silovs guessed on a play. That's not good goaltending. If he had just watched the pass release it's not going in the right direction for the tip play.

Reactions: Peen

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
This teams depth is looking like trash. Was never a big fan of Heinen when we have Suter. Sprong is whatever that is lmfaoo. Bains is an AHL’er. Juulsen trash. Forbort should be a 7D. Aman is trash.

No Demko, Petey not producing, Debrusk is already in his 20 game at a time no show act, no Joshua.
Give it time, we added a lot of new players this off season

Heinan has had success everywhere he’s been, I’m not worry

Reactions: Leif Rohlin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad