GDT: #3 Home Opener - A Tribute to Johnny Gaudreau - Florida @ Columbus - 8/15 @ 7 PM EST

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Not sure I agree with all the Elvis bashing; I think we got average goaltending and we lost because of Spencer Knight's great goaltending.

But good effort anyway, encouraging game like major said.

elvis deserves all the backlash.
his expected goals against tonight was actual not ‘goals’ it was a goal. barely a goal. yet he gave up 4.

we are desperately in need of a competent goaltender who gives us a chance to win night in and night out. call me crazy but I honestly feel like we could easily be 3-0 right now.

look at the advanced stats for tonight’s game. with even an average goalie we win this game 4-1.

the boys played their heart out in front of elvis yet elvis can’t say the same. but then again, maybe he did play his heart out and this is just who he is… a below average goalie who would be the permanent backup on most NHL teams.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
elvis deserves all the backlash.
his expected goals against tonight was actual not ‘goals’ it was a goal. barely a goal. yet he gave up 4.

we are desperately in need of a competent goaltender who gives us a chance to win night in and night out. call me crazy but I honestly feel like we could easily be 3-0 right now.

look at the advanced stats for tonight’s game. with even an average goalie we win this game 4-1.

the boys played their heart out in front of elvis yet elvis can’t say the same. but then again, maybe he did play his heart out and this is just who he is… a below average goalie who would be the permanent backup on NHL teams.

He looked great in pre-season and didn't look bad in game one.

Tonight was not a good performance by Elvis but it was well within the range of variation of your average goalie. There are going to be .800 nights for all of them. So I'm hesitant to join the pile on this early.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
He looked great in pre-season and didn't look bad in game one.

Tonight was not a good performance by Elvis but it was well within the range of variation of your average goalie. There are going to be .800 nights for all of them. So I'm hesitant to join the pile on this early.

to each their own my friend!

Reactions: Fred Glover

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
IMG_1960.jpeg

this random user on reddit said it best. agree 10000 percent.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
View attachment 917223

this random user on reddit said it best. agree 10000 percent.
The first goal against you’d hope he could stop
Second goal against is just unlucky.
Third goal against is just a nice goal
Fourth goal is a perfect shot.

IMO. But the fourth goal is the type of goal that CAN be saved, and really helps your team out if you find a way to do so. But can’t say I expect him to stop it.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Back from game. Good game considering how emotionally draining the pre-game must have been. Spencer was better than Elvis, but was a little surprised about how many on here were hating on Elvis. Not saying he was great but I didn't feel those were crazy bad goals either. Knight played well, especially at the end, but also got lucky on some posts. Hats off to both teams, let's get ready for Thursday.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Back from game. Good game considering how emotionally draining the pre-game must have been. Spencer was better than Elvis, but was a little surprised about how many on here were hating on Elvis. Not saying he was great but I didn't feel those were crazy bad goals either. Knight played well, especially at the end, but also got lucky on some posts. Hats off to both teams, let's get ready for Thursday.
I guess the main complaint about Elvis is he doesn’t make game deciding saves

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Definitely was an emotional time at the game.

So my buddy ended up buying the tickets for my group and after he bought them, he said he got 213 because it was Johnny and Matt's #s combined but only after the fact, did he realize that he got row H and should've gotten row G because of Gaudreau...

Well fast forward to tonight and apparently CBJ was thinking the same thing because they gave the entire section 213, Row G Gaudreau shirts, we may not have gotten shirts but we all ended up on the jumbotron when they announced it! 😂

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
Elvis Wasn't the issue, Considering the emotional toll, i empathize with his performance. Our Struggles stemmed from repeatedly failing to clear the puck/turning the puck over in our zone!!!!!!! leading to high danger goals. 3 out of 4 goals were because we couldn't get the puck out of our zone! our problem is still our breakout/defensive breakdowns. dont let the effort confuse you

Waddell needs to provide support for Fantilli whos shouldering a heavy load alongside JVR and Lebenc.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
A wonderful tribute to Johnny Gaudreau. Feel heartbroken and want to tear up every time I see his parents. Still hard to believe how a deranged lunatic drunk driver caused two precious young lives to end, when they had so much to live for. RIP Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau. May God bless your souls.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
????????????????

Aside from the L which obviously sucks, the team showed so much resilience and played their asses off. Expected goals were 3.44 to 1.14. Thoroughly dominated the reigning champs

This team feels different. You can tell the culture they are building is real.
Look this isn't being critical of effort and I couldn't have played after that tribute. All I am saying is everyone was saying it was a great game overall and Elvis was the issue and it wasn't. Elvis was soft on 2 goals but c'mon allow a 50 goal scorer right in the front of the net with 1 second to go.

BTW - I am not an Elvis fan

The breakouts were not as clean in the previous 2 games and we were hemmed in for long periods of time. While allowing a point blank shot with 1 second in the period.

Like illustrated below

Screenshot 2024-10-16 at 8.47.55 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-10-16 at 8.48.27 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-10-16 at 8.52.56 AM.png

Reactions: MAHJ71

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Whether or not you think Elvis was a problem last night, he is the best option at the moment. Tarasov keeps telling us "not it." I love Jet but I think he profiles as a backup at the NHL level. Could be one of the prospects becomes the answer but we just don't have one right now. Have to keep up the "play better defensively" thing and hope you get some redeemable play from Elvis and Daniil.

Reactions: MAHJ71

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
As a Florida fan, this was the best coached and positioned Columbus team I’ve seen in a long while. It felt like playoff intensity for a good bit of the game and I really appreciated the fight. Really excited to see where you go this season and in future seasons

Elvis wasn’t great but he didn’t look worse than Swayman against us on Monday.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad