Peterborough Petes 2024 - 25 Season Thread, Part I

Oggie Ogoltorp

Oct 4, 2024
It's just where you are in the cycle. 16 and 17 year old kids arent supposed to win in an 18-20 year old league. You have a lot of kids that are good and you are playing them. That is going to reap huge benefits next year and beyond. You have a coach with job security so he can do this. He tasted a championship and likely wants another one. Anyone can coach a bunch of vets to the playoffs but to win you have to go all in - that takes a proper build then buying the rest at the right time.
You will get another high end pick this year and I bet in 2-3 years you will be happy with your team. Like Sarnia there are going to be growing pains. Every team not named London Knights goes through this in some form especially ones that went all in like Pete's did. Some never go all in and stay consistent. It worked out for the Pete's.
Show me a coach that has a lot of vets and Ill show you a coach that consistently makes the playoffs. Most of them never win a thing but it is job security. Trust this process as they say. Just throw popcorn at Oke I'm sure he will catch it, give you a thumbs up and eat it.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I just listened to an interview with Iron Mike, and it reminded me that I think the Pats have the most NHL coaches that have gone through the system.

I realize that that was then, and this is now, but can some of you younger members remind us of why that was?

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I'm probably crazy, but Oshawa has been terrible so far. Maybe the Petes get their first win either Thursday or Friday? Or...Barlow finally breaks out and scores 4 or 5 over the two games and it's another pair of losses.

You haven’t heard him screaming yet? Guy is screaming every game
I sit down in the end...I used to hear Kilrea scream all through the rink, but now I'll have to listen for Oke.

Reactions: Section5Petes

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Just saw the standings. Little surprised you haven’t won. Not trying to stir up the pot or troll

What happened though? Taylor, Cameron and the rest of them didn’t take too much of a leap? Goaltending the problem?
It's been a weird start to the season and I think that as much as the losses are why people are a little more disappointed than you'd expect when we all knew it was going to be a rebuilding season.

Right from training camp there were some interesting roster decisions made (or not made) which led to the mess early on with too many goalies and overagers.

The teams best chance to win was always going to be Sztuska in net and stealing games but they made him a healthy scratch the first three games and I've heard that relationship between team, teammates and management was/is really strained as a result.

Then all of a sudden out of nowhere he starts game four and has managed to get in some more games as overagers (Melee, Lefebvre ) keep getting suspended.

Which is another issue - complete lack of discipline early on leading to so many PPs. Now, they tend to balance out and the Petes have had lots of PP opps as well but their PP has never been great under Wilson, even less so this year, where the team embarrassingly has allowed more short handed goals against (5) than have power play goals for (4). Combine this with a league leading 10 power play goals against and it's just been a special teams disaster.

Oh, also, Caden Taylor has been an abject disaster defensively and Carson Cameron including preseason is -20 in 10 games.

Aside from special teams, the strained relationship/strange treatment of last year's MVP, the total lack of discipline, the questionable roster/lineup decisions, the not great starts by two lynchpins of the rebuild and the two best veteran forwards being suspended it's been going pretty well.

It was always going to take time and I don't think the long term outlook has changed but it's been hard to see the bright side early on.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Regarding the Sztuska situation. They have to address it immediately. Can’t hold him out 3 games in a row at the start of the season like northern said after being the mvp last year.

Either they’re keeping Sztuska for the 1 year or keeping Bowen for 2. Can’t let this play out until November or December. It is not fair to either goalie and may put an even larger strain between coaching staff and players if it continues on.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Regarding the Sztuska situation. They have to address it immediately. Can’t hold him out 3 games in a row at the start of the season like northern said after being the mvp last year.

Either they’re keeping Sztuska for the 1 year or keeping Bowen for 2. Can’t let this play out until November or December. It is not fair to either goalie and may put an even larger strain between coaching staff and players if it continues on.

They're really making a mess of the situation, that's for sure.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022

I don’t think Bowen is the guy. If anything I’d drop McIntyre and give that playing time to another forward and keep Sztuska so maybe they can win a few games

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I don’t think Bowen is the guy. If anything I’d drop McIntyre and give that playing time to another forward and keep Sztuska so maybe they can win a few games
They will win a few games. They are not going 0-68. I do think they need to keep Liam Sztuska and trade one of the overage forwards. They need to add a forward and maybe a defenceman.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
They will win a few games. They are not going 0-68. I do think they need to keep Liam Sztuska and trade one of the overage forwards. They need to add a forward and maybe a defenceman.
I can't imagine they add another defenceman anytime soon with what they currently have. That top 4 are locks for minutes which only leaves 2 spots (unless they go 11/7, which they shouldn't have to do all season) for Gowan, Ula, Ladds and Marentette. Gowan should be a lock and Ladds seems to play alot as well and not to mention that Ula has looked good too. Can't imagine they add another body into that crowded mix.

Matejicek-Jenken
Strohack-Cameron
Gowan-Ladds
Ula-Marenette

Reactions: User13452

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
I'm probably crazy, but Oshawa has been terrible so far. Maybe the Petes get their first win either Thursday or Friday? Or...Barlow finally breaks out and scores 4 or 5 over the two games and it's another pair of losses.

Oshawa is struggling almost as badly as Peterborough is. But given the expectations coming into this year, Oshawa has been by far the biggest disappointment in the league to date.

The Barlow trade has been an absolute disaster for Oshawa. People are finally starting to realize what I was explaining when the deal was first rumoured - - that it was a horrific overpay by Oshawa.

It would not surprise me in the least to see Peterborough split the home-and-home. If by some miracle the Petes sweep both games, Oshawa will have to seriously consider a coaching change before the season get completely out of control.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I can't imagine they add another defenceman anytime soon with what they currently have. That top 4 are locks for minutes which only leaves 2 spots (unless they go 11/7, which they shouldn't have to do all season) for Gowan, Ula, Ladds and Marentette. Gowan should be a lock and Ladds seems to play alot as well and not to mention that Ula has looked good too. Can't imagine they add another body into that crowded mix.

Matejicek-Jenken
Strohack-Cameron
Gowan-Ladds
Ula-Marenette
I just think they need to add another experienced defenceman into the mix. I do think Gowan needs to play but do they continue to 11 forwards and 7 defencemen with Gowan as the 7th. However the biggest pressing need is for help at forward. At this point I would welcome a Garlent like addition. I am not sure what the cost would be though?

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Oshawa is struggling almost as badly as Peterborough is. But given the expectations coming into this year, Oshawa has been by far the biggest disappointment in the league to date.

The Barlow trade has been an absolute disaster for Oshawa. People are finally starting to realize what I was explaining when the deal was first rumoured - - that it was a horrific overpay by Oshawa.

It would not surprise me in the least to see Peterborough split the home-and-home. If by some miracle the Petes sweep both games, Oshawa will have to seriously consider a coaching change before the season get completely out of control.
Petes gave up 7 to a bad Owen sound team Oshawa will blow the doors off the Petes. Petes never play well in Oshawa so if they don’t get Thursdays game it’ll be a 0-2

I just think they need to add another experienced defenceman into the mix. I do think Gowan needs to play but do they continue to 11 forwards and 7 defencemen with Gowan as the 7th. However the biggest pressing need is for help at forward. At this point I would welcome a Garlent like addition. I am not sure what the cost would be though?
Should of traded for Kaeden Johnston he’d be leading the team in scoring right now and it only cost a 4th

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Petes gave up 7 to a bad Owen sound team Oshawa will blow the doors off the Petes. Petes never play well in Oshawa so if they don’t get Thursdays game it’ll be a 0-2

Should of traded for Kaeden Johnston he’d be leading the team in scoring right now and it only cost a 4th
if the petes powerplay was ever gonna get on track this is the 2 games to do it Oshawa is second last in penalty killing in the league.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
I do agree with the sentiment of a Garlent type acquisition as this team is just starved for offense in every way. In a season like this with so many younger players the overagers and veterans need to lead this team and I hope Melee and Lefebvre can continue to increase production. McIntyre is a big pressensce on the ice and brings something the other two don't. But these OAs need to be impactful this year.

Looking back to the Hunter Garlent (1995 born = 2006 today) trade, the Petes sent
- 2nd
- 2nd
- 2nd
- 2nd
- F Stephen Pieorg (1994 born = 2005 today)

I can't see the Petes doing anything of *that* magnitude right now, but perhaps something at a lower cost. This team needs to start building for consistency like North Bay instead of boom or bust age dependent cycles...

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I do agree with the sentiment of a Garlent type acquisition as this team is just starved for offense in every way. In a season like this with so many younger players the overagers and veterans need to lead this team and I hope Melee and Lefebvre can continue to increase production. McIntyre is a big pressensce on the ice and brings something the other two don't. But these OAs need to be impactful this year.

Looking back to the Hunter Garlent (1995 born = 2006 today) trade, the Petes sent
- 2nd
- 2nd
- 2nd
- 2nd

I can't see the Petes doing anything of *that* magnitude right now, but perhaps something at a lower cost. This team needs to start building for consistency like North Bay instead of boom or bust age dependent cycles...
A Garlent type deal isn’t gonna happen that would leave them with one 2nd round pick. They aren’t in position to be dealing away high picks right now for help this year doesn’t make sense

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

- 2nd
- 2nd
- 2nd
- 2nd

The Petes need to improve the team for this season with players that will be here this year and next. A Hunter Garlent type of trade which cost them four, 2nds and a player is too high a price but a trade similar to the one for Josh MacDonald the same season which cost them a 4th or if they could pull of another Emmett Sproule (but not an overage) type trade that only cost them a 6th. The teams long range plans are to more each year.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
The Petes need to improve the team for this season with players that will be here this year and next. A Hunter Garlent type of trade which cost them four, 2nds and a player is too high a price but a trade similar to the one for Josh MacDonald the same season which cost them a 4th or if they could pull of another Emmett Sproule (but not an overage) type trade that only cost them a 6th. The teams long range plans are to more each year.
You can make those deals but is it worth it to bring in a guy like for example Hilton which soo got for a 5th and take ice time away from one of your 07 guys? Probably not

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
You can make those deals but is it worth it to bring in a guy like for example Hilton which soo got for a 5th and take ice time away from one of your 07 guys? Probably not
The Petes don't have 12 OHL forwards now or in the future right now (unless we're counting the Novotny, Lock types). They can bring in a forward and play Partridge less. Or not play Marentette at forward. If they keep Sztuska, there is another open forward spot. I don't dislike Faulkner or Page but they could be replaced or pushed down the lineup as well.

It's different on D where there is a roster full of (potential) short and long term OHL regulars.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
IMO any team as young as the Petes are need a solid OA Dman who is a stay at home type that is tough to play against. A guy that is a hard worker with a “team comes first” attitude.
Shawn Spearing, Austin Osmanski, Brandon Prophet come to mind - character guys who led by example.
No offense to Melee, Lefebvre and McIntyre but the young Dmen would have benefited from a steadying presence back there.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
IMO any team as young as the Petes are need a solid OA Dman who is a stay at home type that is tough to play against. A guy that is a hard worker with a “team comes first” attitude.
Shawn Spearing, Austin Osmanski, Brandon Prophet come to mind - character guys who led by example.
No offense to Melee, Lefebvre and McIntyre but the young Dmen would have benefited from a steadying presence back there.
Isn't Jenken supposed to be that guy? In my opinion, the disappointment so far this year is the uninspired play of the overagers, particularly McIntyre. As for the younger guys, all the hype of the 1st round picks might have got into their heads and these 17yr olds aren't battling like they need to prove something. But Wilson has built a team strategy based on prioritizing defense which can also dampen the talents of offensively gifted players. Overall the defense-first strategy has worked for the Petes so it's just a matter of time before there's some wins and building confidence. Fitzgerald btw looks very very good.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Isn't Jenken supposed to be that guy? In my opinion, the disappointment so far this year is the uninspired play of the overagers, particularly McIntyre. As for the younger guys, all the hype of the 1st round picks might have got into their heads and these 17yr olds aren't battling like they need to prove something. But Wilson has built a team strategy based on prioritizing defense which can also dampen the talents of offensively gifted players. Overall the defense-first strategy has worked for the Petes so it's just a matter of time before there's some wins and building confidence. Fitzgerald btw looks very very good.
Not really surprised by McIntyre he’s got 25 goals in 182 career games. He’s only in the league this season because he’s on a rebuilding team otherwise he should be in the OJHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad