Post-Game Talk: We lost :( and now Vector is mad at me

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
I was going to thank you for making the thread but now I’ll have to fix the damn title later. WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY
This is no place for the weak! Turn that smile upside down!

I can really get behind this messaging. (for some reason that escapes me, I feel like this is fodder for a a familiar response...can't quite place it...)
I stepped in some water. Now my sock is wet. I’m far more upset with that than I am the Canucks start to the season.
Wait...you were inside and there was water on the floor? Your accidently trod in the sink? You went outside in October in Canada with no shoes?

There is a lot to unwrap in this message...

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
My only concerns so far is EP. Not even close to playing like a 11m+ forward. The bottom four on defense as well. Not enough puck movers.

I think he showed enough tonight to at least be more hopeful

Also this may sound crazy but Hughes looks like he took another step this year , more explosiveness this year.

Thought he was kind of meh the first two but was incredibly dangerous this game. I like that he was getting into spots in the slot. Too often in the second half last year he was forcing point shots

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Team played decently in the 2nd and 3rd after a poor first. However, overall the team has too many holes in the line up to play with any kind of consistency. No amount of coaching, effort or hope is going to over come that

Good

Garland - best player on the team. Was at the end of last year and is now. Did all he could to drag his team into the fight.

Hughes - didn't think he was that good in his own end but on some shifts he got zero help or support from his forwards. Offensively he made some great moves and did create a lot of what offense the Canucks could muster.

Bad

Miller - was awful giving and taking a pass. Didn't want him out on the late PP b/c I knew he would screw up things up with his passing. Got to think twice about his use in pre-season. Doesn't lift his play the team is sunk and sunk deep as well.

Juulsen - always makes enough glitches to keep the team in trouble. Not NHL caliber.

Raty - team is tied up in their end when he is out near all the time. He is clearly not ready and, given his skating there has to be huge doubt that he ever will be.

Heinen - can't win one on one fights for the puck. Looks totally passive and a passenger, at best, on whatever line he on. They need to bring Di Guiseppe back immediately. I get the idea that he was suppose to replace Di Guiseppe as the forechecker on his lineand on the pk. This and supply the offense Di Guiseppe couldn't. But, as of now, he is not bringing the forechecking or penalty killing that Di Guiseppe did. And, right now, he isn't even as good as Di Guiseppe offensively.

de Brusk - did nothing. Played over 16 minutes and was a ghost. Looks like the losses to Boston absolutely out weigh any gains.

Myers - looked awkward in this game and you wonder if he is 100%. Like all the defense had coverage problems around the net

Silovs - maybe a little harsh but he looked jittery again. Really couldn't come with the saves to keep the team in it and was lucky on several occasions he wasn't scored on more . Giving up a lot of net.

Others

Pettersson - a step in the right direction. Still stuttering with puck too much (especially of the PP) but he carried the puck better and played at least decent 2 way game.

Bains - gets and A for effort and did get some chances. Thought he was little better in his own zone. Still doesn't have NHL skating but was better over all..

Forbert - always expect the worst with this player but thought he was mostly OK. Hard for anyone to play with Juulsen.

Team has too many fringe and AHL types in the lineup. I'd say all of the following are not playing at an NHL standard. Raty, Bains, Juulsen, Heinen are baggage or worse. That's too many sub-par players especially when you couple in the mediocre to lousy play of the players suppose to carry the team. This could be a long, long road trip.

Last edited:

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
New guys so far:

Debrusk - ok. Need to get going soon. Doesnt help that EP is not his elite self right now
Heinen - if you cant be scoring threat, at least hit, pressure and agitate opponents
Sherwood- average so far. Need more hits from him
Forbort- should not be a regular 3rd pairng. Hes ok as a call up if someone goes down with an injury
Sprong - 2 games and already can see he need to improve passing and defense
Desharnais- only 1 game but no. Forbort-desharnais should not be the regular 3rd pairing.
Lankinen - good 1st game

Need major upgrade on d. No depth and stability at all.

ALLLLLVIN

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Wait...you were inside and there was water on the floor? Your accidently trod in the sink? You went outside in October in Canada with no shoes?

There is a lot to unwrap in this message...

I have two young children and was getting them out of the bath. Hence why I didn’t make the PGT.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
So far from the first two games and the highlights I found for this one, Allvin needed to cook a little longer because our acquisitions do not look impressive. It's only three games so I'm not ready to toss in any flags but i's mildly concerning just how out of sync the team looks right now.

Tocchet needs to stop dicking around with the top six. Move Hoglander up for the love of all and leave him there. We need our top guys to have options not babysit kids trying to get their skates wet. Granted, Miller hasn't looked good period. So it's not entirely on Bains and Heinen.

I'm tempting to move Debrusk to play with Miller but at the same time want to leave him with Pettersson in the hopes they develop chemistry. Otherwise, we're right back to where we started with Petey lacking an offensive threat.

Reactions: Indiana

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Heinen - I think needed to be a clear upgrade on Suter given what they paid & he’s looked about the same to me
Downgrade if cost is considered. Suter looks like he has stronger offensive bursts too.

I think Heinen will bounce back and be quite valuable once we start winning, though

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'm just not seeing it. Feels like the year before last where they went up 3-0 on the Oilers and then got caved in. They never recovered from that loss.

The defence is honestly bottom 10 in the league at this point. Juulsen is not an NHL player, Forbort and Desharnais are 6th defencemen at best. Myers has regressed back to Chaos Giraffe mode after a fantastic last season. We are missing Zadorov badly. I really hope last year wasn't a flash in the pan, but it's starting to feel that way.

Pettersson has now gone almost half a season's worth of games without scoring at even strength. That contract is already a disaster. They really should have waited until the season was over.

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
EP40 on pace for 28 points

Concerning.
Not saying he isn’t part of the problem but he did have to recover over the offseason and tochett admitted he needs to work on his game. When you compare last years starting roster to this one this start isn’t surprising. Can’t believe we had Myers for 6 years and decided to give him another 3 x 3. It starts on the backend

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
watched on a stream in the background while doing some work so these aren't fully attentive notes, but generally think that there are too many passenger types right now. heinen and sherwood don't look like the players they are at the top of their games. debrusk looks like taylor pyatt. garland line was good. bains and boeser were fine. not enough to win. along with another top-4 d, we really need another first line calibre winger.

it doesn't help that petey and miller are not on their games right now, but they weren't the singular problem, it was just a bunch of collective meh and tampa capitalized when they had the chances.

would honestly consider splitting up hughes and hronek. hughes looks all-world, and could probably drag juulsen/desharnais to respectability even in top pairing minutes. hronek with soucy should be a playable second pairing, and then they need to find someway to shelter forbort-myers enough - which now that i spell it out, would actually probably be a disaster so maybe scratch that. i'd sit myers, but we know that's not going to happen.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser
Hoglander-EP-Sprong
Suter-Blueger-Garland
Sherwood-Aman-Heinen

Joshua takes out Sprong when he’s back. Suter moves up to Sprongs spot and Joshua reunites with Teddy Garland.

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Giraffe

Play Brannstrom and Friedman on the bottom pair to see if it looks any better than the current tire fire.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
would honestly consider splitting up hughes and hronek. hughes looks all-world, and could probably drag juulsen/desharnais to respectability even in top pairing minutes. hronek with soucy should be a playable second pairing, and then they need to find someway to shelter forbort-myers enough - which now that i spell it out, would actually probably be a disaster so maybe scratch that. i'd sit myers, but we know that's not going to happen.
Soucy - Myers is a bigger problem than Forbort - whoever at this point. They may not be as bad but they’re in over their heads as a second pairing.

They got bad results together last year too so I’m not surprised the same is true this year. Myers gets a bit of a pass for tonight given he’s probably not 100% but I thought he looked awful in the Calgary game too.

Soucy hasn’t looked like his steady self either but it’s hard to know how much of that is just playing with Myers.

The team needs to find a way to cobble together two decent pairings then shelter the bottom pairing as best they can. If that means dealing with Forbort-Myers for 10 minutes a night then so be it.

Still think the Myers re-signing will be looked back upon as the biggest mistake of the offseason. The price was probably fair given the market for defenders but he makes roster construction so challenging and is taking up money that could have been used for a real upgrade.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
The PP is a problem right now, they aren't generating much. Too many bad passes (mostly JTM), and too many perimeter passes without any shots attempts.

PK was surprisingly strong today, PK'ers deserves some credit for that. Glad to see Garland killing penalties, now he is contributing everywhere and becoming a very good all around player.

Petey was better today, hope it's a sign of him turning it around. Still, I see him flex his stick when he flub a shot and shake his head after a bad pass, seems like his confidence is still low and he is still frustrated.

I'm not sure what RT see in Bains but to bring him off the press box right into the top line is definitely a choice.

Our offseason additions had all so far been very disappointing. Debrusk created some chances today, and Sherwood showed some energy, but for all the quality depth we supposedly added, I'm not seeing much on the ice.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Not saying he isn’t part of the problem but he did have to recover over the offseason and tochett admitted he needs to work on his game. When you compare last years starting roster to this one this start isn’t surprising. Can’t believe we had Myers for 6 years and decided to give him another 3 x 3. It starts on the backend
I didn't mind the free agent signings until Myers resigned for another 3 years for 3 million per. I didn't mind resigning Myers since he just came off a excellent season, but I knew resigning him would put a nail in the coffin for bringing back Zadorov. Zads should of been the first priority, then make your way to Myers. Losing Cole is also starting to look like a mistake aswell. Zadarov and Cole were character guys with great leadership, and experience. Replacing them with Desharnais and Forbort is looking like a giant mistake.

im gangster

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
This current season is Myers' 6th with the franchise. Eight total if he plays out the current deal with Vancouver.

Reactions: mossey3535

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Like the effort. After a slow start, they were the better team for the 2nd and 3rd periods. Win that game most nights.

Juulsen struggled. Desharnais should be back in next game. Wouldn't waive Juulsen yet...yet.

Thought Petey had a solid game.

Willing to take a breath and let this group find their legs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad