Post-Game Talk: We lost :( and now Vector is mad at me

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Almost a 'guaranteed loss night', so no shock. Beginning to see why most of the talking heads at TSN and Sportsnet had the Canucks as their prime 'regression candidate' in the West.

After Hughes and Hronek, the blueline falls off a cliff. And sometimes you hit a home run with your UFA's, other seasons, not so much. It's a crapshoot. Frankly rather than throwing money at guys like Heinen, Sprong, Sherwood, Forbort and Desharnais, I'd rather see some young guys elevated from Abbotsford.

At least there's some hope they'd improve over the course of the season.

Reactions: Indiana

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Not in panic mode yet as I think that would be a bit crazy 3 games in, but slightly concerned. Team hasn't been able to put it together all at once, and its giving me 2022-2023 flashbacks in a bad way. Opponent's goaltending has been better each game (even if we got good goaltending in the Philly game), and no one can get going at the same time.

I think these things will resolve themselves in time, but its all for naught if Petterson doesn't get his shit together. The team can't contend with an 11 million dollar player playing like a tentative third line center who plays special teams. That's the major thing for me at this point.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
That should 100% be the end of the line for Juulsen. He is an absolute liability and good for a goal against each game. Give McWard or Friedman a try there instead.

A few unforced errors this season include signing Sprong, Desharnais and Heinen. Sprong is totally useless. Desharnais and Heinen are replacement level guys eating up 4 mil this season and next season.

We need to come to terms with the elephant in the room... This team simply isn't a top team. The forward group will need to put in max effort to win while also supporting the defensemen in their breakouts. It's defaulted back to Travis Green hockey at times.

Loss isn't on Silovs but it's fitting to see him posting a .890 SV%

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Canucks always lose in Tampa so not even àll that upset. The two home games they should've won is more annoying. I expect this team to bounce back with a win in Florida on thursday

Coffees

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
My only concerns so far is EP. Not even close to playing like a 11m+ forward. The bottom four on defense as well. Not enough puck movers.
Agreed. Good way to put it, they don’t have a top 4, Canucks have a mighty 1st pairing followed by 2 bottom pairings

Reactions: canucksfan

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Terrible 1st period and although we generated quite a few chances afterwards, it wasn't enough. Lack of finish and Vasi was solid. Defensive zone coverage 5-on-5 has been porous at times.

Garland has been our best player so far over the 3 games. Plays with effort every shift and is always around the puck/net.

Pettersson was around the puck/net a little bit more tonight and looked a bit more engaged in general, whiffed on a few chances right in front setup by Debrusk. Still some poor/soft plays and just not good enough overall for what we need from him.

Miller has been poor overall, as well. Lots of bad turnovers and looks a step behind a lot of times both physically and mentally.

Silovs was okay, not sure if Lankinen would have made the difference. Definitely would have played Lankinen in this game and definitely should be getting the next one now.

Hughes was very dynamic offensively in this one, big step forward after he spent the first two games sending soft wristers from the point into shin pads.

Myers has been pretty bad so far this season and Soucy was right there with him tonight. Bottom-4 of the defence does not look good at all.

Forbort has been better after a bad game 1 but you can't have him and Juulsen on a pairing together. Ideally neither guy is in your top-6 but if Forbort is going to be in the lineup, he needs to be paired with someone that can move the puck, not someone who is an even bigger liability than he is. Try Desharnais again and if he doesn't work, call up Friedman because he was arguably the best out of the depth D-men in camp anyway.

Heinen has shown pretty much nothing as of yet, should not be in the top-6 anymore until he does something to earn it. I was a big proponent of starting Raty on the 3rd line but also hasn't done anything. Move Heinen down to the 4th line and Suter up to 3C.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Terrible 1st period and although we generated quite a few chances afterwards, it wasn't enough. Lack of finish and Vasi was solid. Defensive zone coverage 5-on-5 has been porous at times.

Garland has been our best player so far over the 3 games. Plays with effort every shift and is always around the puck/net.

Pettersson was around the puck/net a little bit more tonight and looked a bit more engaged in general, whiffed on a few chances right in front setup by Debrusk. Still some poor/soft plays and just not good enough overall for what we need from him.

Miller has been poor overall, as well. Lots of bad turnovers and looks a step behind a lot of times both physically and mentally.

Silovs was okay, not sure if Lankinen would have made the difference. Definitely would have played Lankinen in this game and definitely should be getting the next one now.

Hughes was very dynamic offensively in this one, big step forward after he spent the first two games sending soft wristers from the point into shin pads.

Myers has been pretty bad so far this season and Soucy was right there with him tonight. Bottom-4 of the defence does not look good at all.

Forbort has been better after a bad game 1 but you can't have him and Juulsen on a pairing together. Ideally neither guy is in your top-6 but if Forbort is going to be in the lineup, he needs to be paired with someone that can move the puck, not someone who is an even bigger liability than he is. Try Desharnais again and if he doesn't work, call up Friedman because he was arguably the best out of the depth D-men in camp anyway.

Heinen has shown pretty much nothing as of yet, should not be in the top-6 anymore until he does something to earn it. I was a big proponent of starting Raty on the 3rd line but also hasn't done anything. Move Heinen down to the 4th line and Suter up to 3C.
Lets talk more heinen actually, He has done absolutely nothing

Reactions: David71

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That was a tough game against a good team in their home opener with extra motivation to put in a big effort given the situation in Florida. And they came out flying.

Overall it wasn't a bad performance I don't think but once you fall behind it's really hard to get those goals back against Vasilevskiy who was absolutely elite tonight.

PK with a really strong performance so that bodes well at least.

Juulsen and Forbort share some credit for the PK work but that pairing was awful at ES and Juulsen remains basically good for one major screwup/game that usually ends up in our net. And you can't have a supposedly low-event 7D who makes this many mistakes.

Pettersson wasn't 'good' ... but he had a pulse and this was probably a top-3 game for him in his last 40 games. Decision-making and timing were off but he was actually moving his feet in the offensive zone and had a couple chances in hard areas even if he totally whiffed on them.

I like Bains, but not sure why he was on the top line.

Myers looked laboured and that pairing had a tough night also. This is where if we actually had depth Myers probably should have been rested tonight.

Hughes and Hronek were phenomenal and our best players by a mile. Garland the best forward.

Silovs was very good in the first but really needed to make the save on the 2-0 goal when we had started to turn the momentum in the game. 2nd best goalie tonight.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I looked before the game (well, before I realized the game was on) at goalie stats.

Silovs was a complete mystery box, never played Tampa before.

Lankinen had a pretty terrible record versus Tampa. 0-3-1 .872% 4.37gaa.

Tocchet went mystery box.

Reactions: geebaan and Indiana

FuzzyTitus

Dec 17, 2008
I did think Hughes had a big game offensively, but on at least 2 goals he cheated to leave the zone, leaving a man in the corner and the puck ended up in the back of the net. (I think the second one didn't end up counting)

That's not to say Silovs shouldn't have saved them but still, needs to be a little less aggressive there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad