Player Discussion Kirby Dach: Welcome to Montreal part 2

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It should be Hutson at the point with Suzuki, and Dach at the right wall.
I'd love it...
Anything that prevents Caufield from handling the puck too often. :sarcasm:
God he was horrible against Ottawa.
He was bobbling the puck like he was back in his early Ducharme Days.
The last thing we need is to have to backtrack 200ft because of unforced errors.

Reactions: Toene

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He was not good at faceoffs before the injury, so don't think rust is at fault here. I could see him ending up on a winger for that reason alone, though he is really good at carrying the puck and not much of a finisher.

Faceoffs are an experience and timing thing.. so not being the best at them before the injury, missing all those reps, and coming back to take faceoffs is going to be rocky for a bit.

It's killing our second line. Lack of puck possession. Move Dvorak up, he's good on faceoffs. only Hab with Corsi above 60. put Dach on wing. Until he gets back in rythm. Armia back on 4th line. He looks lost.

The second line is killed because Armia isn't a good fit and Dach is rusty.. putting a worse player than Dach on that line to be the center isn't going to help it any better. If they want to move Dvorak to Dach's wing instead of Armia to take the weak side faceoffs instead of Newhook could help, I guess, but it won't help them score more.

Reactions: Andrei79

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I don’t really care about faceoffs atm.

My concern is that he’s taken a few awkward hits where he didn’t took ready or steady on his skates.

I’d like him to remain healthy.

Reactions: jrom and Andrei79

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
He was not good at faceoffs before the injury, so don't think rust is at fault here. I could see him ending up on a winger for that reason alone, though he is really good at carrying the puck and not much of a finisher.
Most young players aren't good at faceoffs because linesman allow vets to cheat much more then they do young guys who aren't stars.

Fatbiggie

Unregistered User
Jul 30, 2005
We might have to broke our first line to get at least a good weapon for Dach, Armia is not cutting it in the top 6 as we're all aware.

I would like Marty to try these duos: Suzu/Slaf, Dach/CC and with Newhook & Heiner/Kap as 3rd wings

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
We might have to broke our first line to get at least a good weapon for Dach, Armia is not cutting it in the top 6 as we're all aware.

I would like Marty to try these duos: Suzu/Slaf, Dach/CC and with Newhook & Heiner/Kap as 3rd wings
I would put Dach with Suzuki and Caufield, drop Slaf down with Newhook and maybe Heineman.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022

Jack Hugues is 33% career-wise on FO%

At this stage Dach needs TOI to get back on his game, once he has played 20 games we’ll get a better idea (replacing Armia by someone not named Anderson would help also).

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

At this stage Dach needs TOI to get back on his game, once he has played 20 games we’ll get a better idea (replacing Armia by someone not named Anderson would help also).

Malkin has a 44% career faceoff percentage as well......typical fan narrative thinking faceoff ability is what differentiates centers from wingers lol.

I agree that we should be more patient as he has been nothing short of awful so far this season but has a ton of rust to shake off and it will take some time. Armia and Newhook have both been fine and it is definitely Dach bringing them down and not vice versa. Dach is not only looking rusty with the puck but his decision making is shockingly bad and this is evidence that he is just not up to speed yet as typically his hockey IQ is very good.

Reactions: Andy

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Dach is extremely predictable in that he is always looking for a pass. That's been an issue long before his injury. The inconsistent effort and poor decision making thus far can be excused given his lack of reps, but if he's going to be a 2C for us longterm he needs to be way more dynamic (and of course healthy).

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
It's disappointing to me that it seems he didn't work on his shot with all that time off.

I mean, according to Dach himself he's been ready to play games since April, sooooo, why didn't you work on that shot with all that free time?

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Faceoffs are an experience and timing thing.. so not being the best at them before the injury, missing all those reps, and coming back to take faceoffs is going to be rocky for a bit.

The second line is killed because Armia isn't a good fit and Dach is rusty.. putting a worse player than Dach on that line to be the center isn't going to help it any better. If they want to move Dvorak to Dach's wing instead of Armia to take the weak side faceoffs instead of Newhook could help, I guess, but it won't help them score more.
How long can we wait though? 20 games? Dach has to play well at some point. Temporary Move him back to third line minutes? Dvorak and Heineman play well together. Move them up to 2nd line.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
How long can we wait though? 20 games? Dach has to play well at some point. Temporary Move him back to third line minutes? Dvorak and Heineman play well together. Move them up to 2nd line.
He missed pretty much an entire calendar year. I thinks it’s fair to say that a player his age that was still not a finished product developmentally when he was hurt might take awhile to get going again.

Reactions: Lshap

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's disappointing to me that it seems he didn't work on his shot with all that time off.

I mean, according to Dach himself he's been ready to play games since April, sooooo, why didn't you work on that shot with all that free time?

He worked on it last year and he worked on it again this summer. The issue isn't the shot, it's him not using it, and that's to be expected when you are coming off a long absence and trying to get up to speed, you will default to your tendencies.

We can wait the whole season - they are trying to be 'in the mix' not make the playoffs at all costs. Getting Dach where he needs to be is far more important for the long term outlook of the rebuild. They are looking long term, they are not looking at everything from the vacuum of a single game early in the season off a prolonged absence.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Dach is extremely predictable in that he is always looking for a pass. That's been an issue long before his injury. The inconsistent effort and poor decision making thus far can be excused given his lack of reps, but if he's going to be a 2C for us longterm he needs to be way more dynamic (and of course healthy).
THat is absolutely true, and that is why Laine's injury hurt so much. He would have been a perfect fit. Personally I would put Caufield with Dach and Newhook, because CC would be a great fit for a playmaker like Dach. Suzuki could be with Slaf and maybe Heineman or Kap. Or bring up Roy and see if he understood something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad