Salary Cap: We are looking for nuclear Kessels. And whales. Beam me up, Scotty Bowman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Chicago would match any offer sheet on Saad unless you offer him a ludicrous amount of money like 6-7 million. We don't have the picks to offer sheet anyways I dont' think due to no 2nd.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I have to ask. What's this obsession over having more elite talent on this team? I mean I'm not going to complain if we got Kessel (well depending on what we give up). But has anyone actually looked at how some of the other cup teams have been built?

Chicago:
14/15: 28, 27, 23, 22 were their 4 top goal scorers. 3 60 point players.
12/13: 23, 23, 17, 10 (on pace for 40, 40, 34.8, 17). 55 pts (95.9), 48 (83.7), 31 (63.5), 27 (48.1)
09/10: 30, 25, 25, 24. 4 60+ point scorers.

LA:
13/14: 29, 27, 19, 15 were their 4 top goal scorers. 1 70 pt player, 1 50 pt player, 2 40+ pt players.
11/12: 25, 22, 22, 18. 1 70 pt player, 2 50 pt players, 1 40 pt player.

Boston:
10/11: 30, 26, 22, 21. Two 62 pt players, 2 50+ pt players.

Now look at Pittsburgh.
Crosby has averaged 32 goals the last 2 years. Malkin 25, Kunitz 26, Neal/Horn 26, Perron 22. This is a team that offensively should be able to get it done. We do not need another elite elite player. Seriously. Go get someone like Oshie, Eriksson, JVR, Skinner, whatever. We do not need 40 goal 80 point players. There are skilled guys out there that will not cost a ton (compared to Kessel) and will have a very manageable cap hit. I'd much rather have Eriksson and Oshie for what... 8.15m then 8m for Kessel and a 900k scrub.

I get that Kessel is the "sexy" choice. But he's not a need. We need players who can play with our stars... but who are not necessarily stars themselves.

Now imagine we could trade Kunitz (+?) and Sutter (+?) and get Oshie and Eriksson. This below is only around 41m on forwards. Add in the rest of our current contracts (and a few guesses on the cheap guys) and it's around 62m. Lots of cap space to fill those holes and give Eriksson, Perron and Maatta their extensions next summer.

Eriksson - Crosby - Hornqvist
Perron - Malkin - Oshie
Dupuis - XXXXX - Bennett
Plotnikov - Sundqvist - XXXXX

You want to tweak that a little bit? Start making 1-1 player trades for someone that better addresses what you're looking for (speed, whatever). But it's a lot easier to make trades once you have talented players. It's a lot harder to actually get those talented players.

Oh and guess what. Odds are something like that doesn't need us to move KK, DP, Sprong, etc.

I think you're looking over the fact that even though those totals are low, they were both stacked with elite talent.

LA's numbers are skewed since both cup runs added elite talent late in Carter and Gaborik.

Edit: Did you read my PM?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Know how to perform the perfect crime?
Get a lawyer to set it up.
A "border incident".
How convenient.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
There are handful of guys I would offer sheet if we could get our 2nd back from Toronto which shouldn't be too difficult. Huberdeau & Kuznetsov in particular.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
There are handful of guys I would offer sheet if we could get our 2nd back from Toronto which shouldn't be too difficult. Huberdeau & Kuznetsov in particular.

I just read somewhere today that Hubie is just about to sign a multi year extension. I would love to offer sheet him too, but it looks like they won't get the chance.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011

I brought that up weeks ago,kuznetzov in particular. Tatar or even to a smaller extent pulkinen from Detroit. I went in depth to the cap problems Detroit is going to run into real soon. Every move they make is going to have to be really efficient. I know I know Offersheets don't happen. I get it, but there is some very interesting scenarios this year.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
Kunitz, Pouliot, Scuderi, Bennett, 3rd 2016 for Kessel, 2016 2nd

Offer sheet Saad for $5.5mil, 6-7 yr.

Sign Plotnikov and Tikhonov.

Trade Sutter for picks.

https://www.hockeyscap.com/armchair-gm/team/9518

:)

Yeah. I wanted some kind of deal where we get our 2nd back so we can get Kessel + Saad, a while ago.

Gonna be tough to get Kessel without a 1st tho...

And, no point of getting the 2nd if we only do 5.5M. Might as well go to 6M and get our picks worth.

Also, why not give 5.47 a shot and see what happens? At the very worst it forces CHI to go into cap hell and cut Sharp for pennies on the dollar, if we need another aging winger. And, failing that, it's good to screw with the perennial stanley cup winners. Let's give 'em some good ol' adversity.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Pittsburgh doesn't have the prospect pool to move KK for someone who's 30ish and is a pending FA.

That's why I had the picks option at 1st, they want to get cap space so they can do a brutal UFA signing, I would avoid those but Saad would be huge with the Pens, he is easily worth over 4M, Hamilton was looking for 7M+ :laugh: .

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah. I wanted some kind of deal where we get our 2nd back so we can get Kessel + Saad, a while ago.

Gonna be tough to get Kessel without a 1st tho...

And, no point of getting the 2nd if we only do 5.5M. Might as well go to 6M and get our picks worth.

Also, why not give 5.47 a shot and see what happens? At the very worst it forces CHI to go into cap hell and cut Sharp for pennies on the dollar, if we need another aging winger. And, failing that, it's good to screw with the perennial stanley cup winners. Let's give 'em some good ol' adversity.

Who offer sheeted Hammer a few yrs back? Hawks fans were pissed. Drove up his price and made the Hawks match.

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Most here want kessel so much, but if we get him, by this time next year most will want him gone. If he doesn't score 40+ goals and seems out of shape most will be saying how stupid it was to trade a future top d for him.

I'm not saying I don't want him, but I just see this happening (101/102%).

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Most here want kessel so much, but if we get him, by this time next year most will want him gone. If he doesn't score 40+ goals and seems out of shape most will be saying how stupid it was to trade a future top d for him.

Quality post. I look forward to more of your input.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
San Jose.

I knew it was some Cali team, but kept thinking the Ducks, but knew I was wrong.

Nah.

Kessel's unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad