Salary Cap: We are looking for nuclear Kessels. And whales. Beam me up, Scotty Bowman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I want Kessel at any cost.

My fat joke arsenal is going unused since Despres was jettisoned for magic beans.

I want my fat jokes back. JR senility jokes only take you so far.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Malkin and Neal worked because Neal does his best work off-puck leaving Malkin to do his thing with the puck.

Kessel tends to do his best work with the puck as does Malkin.

If Kessel can work just as well off-puck and pass the puck to Malkin, they should be fine. If Kessel can't work off-puck or won't pass the puck to Malkin, it will look much closer to Malkin-Ovechkin or Malkin-Dupuis on a line.

What Malkin/Neal did well was cycle the puck and Malkin would give back to Neal in the shooting lanes/high low slot. Kessel and Geno could do this as well.

I don't think there's an issue with that pairing. Plus just think of all the teams still keying in on Sid's line as they should. That second line should get a lot of good matchups.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Trivia: if Elmer and Kessel walk into identical Tim Hortons with identically stocked racks...

dunkin26rb1.jpg

...who wins? I gotta say, I think The Thrill could take ole Elmer. Especially now that he's all Cali-fied, eating kale flavored tofu and crap like that.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Kessel is a very gifted playmaker, but for some reason never gets any credit for it.

Probably because he's a fat homeless guy who eats too many cookies.

I am in fact acknowledging Kessel's playmaking ability.

Malkin wants the puck on his stick. That means that Kessel's sole purpose would be to get Malkin the puck and shoot. Kessel would be a sniper first and his playmaking would be secondary.

In contrast, Crosby wants to pass the puck and get it back. I could see Kessel potentially getting the puck more often as a playmaker with Crosby and functioning as both a sniper and playmaker.

But then there is the issue that Malkin and Hornqvist looked terrible together because Hornqvist is a high volume shooter that often failed to pass the puck to Malkin enough (see why Malkin-Ovechkin doesn't work).

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Trivia: if Elmer and Kessel walk into identical Tim Hortons with identically stocked racks...

dunkin26rb1.jpg

...who wins? I gotta say, I think The Thrill could take ole Elmer. Especially now that he's all Cali-fied, eating kale flavored tofu and crap like that.

Tim Horton's

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I like the idea of trading with St. Louis, because I'm not convinced that Doug Armstrong isn't a total idiot.

Oshie doesnt really fill this teams needs in a winger, but if Sutter and Kunitz net you him, you do it then ask questions later.

Sobotka news definitely is intriguing.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think you're looking over the fact that even though those totals are low, they were both stacked with elite talent.

LA's numbers are skewed since both cup runs added elite talent late in Carter and Gaborik.

Yes... but if we get someone like Kessel, we're still not going to have any depth. Our team with Crosby, Malkin, Letang and MAF is already stacked with elite talent. What we need is skilled depth. Skilled players who can play with our stars and help them out in the playoffs, but not guys who are going to cost a fortune - in either cap space or assets to acquire.

Lets say for example we could get Oshie+ for Sutter+Harrington+2016 3rd, and we could get Eriksson for Kunitz+2016 4th.

Cap wise we're sending out 7.1m and acquiring ~8.1m. Yet we just filled our entire top 6, and with Dupuis and BB (or another prospect/player) have 2/3rds of a decent 3rd line. And it only cost us Harrington and a 3rd and 4th (most want to see Kunitz and Sutter gone). And if Eriksson works out, odds are we would probably be able to re-sign him (I don't really have fears about not being able to sign skilled players who we can pay and play in the top 6).

Or would you rather have Kessel for 8m, still need to find another top 6 player AND have given up Scuderi, Kunitz, DP, 2016 1st?

Look, as I said, as long as we don't drastically overpay for Kessel (aka not 3 young assets - eg KK, DP, 1st), then whatever. We have him and we move on. But I'd much rather target other skilled players who are more of a complementary player who wouldn't cost as much and who would allow us to have better depth.

The key here is to get Crosby and Malkin what they need to have success. That need to be other elite players. And with a cap in place, it probably makes more sense to look at guys who won't cost 8m against the cap.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Oshie doesnt really fill this teams needs in a winger, but if Sutter and Kunitz net you him, you do it then ask questions later.

Sobotka news definitely is intriguing.

Too many RWs once we get Kessel :sarcasm:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hey Agent M, what's up? Haven't seen you around in a while (could be because I'm in a perpetual HFB haze). If we get Kessel without selling the farm I will indeed consider a name change. Your suggestion has merit.

Running off that graphic, might I suggest Millennium Malkin? eh....eh!

You are still allowed to use the force.:laugh:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Most here want kessel so much, but if we get him, by this time next year most will want him gone. If he doesn't score 40+ goals and seems out of shape most will be saying how stupid it was to trade a future top d for him.

I'm not saying I don't want him, but I just see this happening (101/102%).

Kessel doesn't need to score 40 goals. Him scoring 30+ and just being a treat offensively would be a success. It would force teams to pull coverage from his center and thus would give everyone just a little more space. I don't like the idea of acquiring him due to the cost of assets and his 8m cap hit (which yes we could afford). I think there's better options out there who wouldn't cost as much and would be just as effective. But I don't think for a second that anyone doesn't think Kessel would have a ton of success here... because at least in the regular season him and his linemates absolutely would. I'm just not sure if we'd have the depth needed to translate that success into the post season.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I am in fact acknowledging Kessel's playmaking ability.

Malkin wants the puck on his stick. That means that Kessel's sole purpose would be to get Malkin the puck and shoot. Kessel would be a sniper first and his playmaking would be secondary.

In contrast, Crosby wants to pass the puck and get it back. I could see Kessel potentially getting the puck more often as a playmaker with Crosby and functioning as both a sniper and playmaker.

But then there is the issue that Malkin and Hornqvist looked terrible together because Hornqvist is a high volume shooter that often failed to pass the puck to Malkin enough (see why Malkin-Ovechkin doesn't work).

Malkin doesn't need the puck to be dangerous. That's a fallacy this board created long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad