Salary Cap: We are looking for nuclear Kessels. And whales. Beam me up, Scotty Bowman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yes and yes. Depends heavily on the drug treatment / whether hormone treatments are also involved. You can end up going either way – putting on a lot of weight or becoming more frail / loss of energy.

Not true. There is a dominant and a recessive testicle. If the recessive one goes, the dominant one makes more than enough testosterone for a normal male. If you lose both, then yes you get heavy doses of test and hormones. But all in all, most testi cancer survivors don't need significant drug treatments.

#tk4lyfe

Tyler Kennedy is our winger solution. I just want the wrestling intro again.

We chose TK over Jagr in 2012. We also signed Steve Sullivan and had high hopes for Sullivan-Malkin-Kennedy line. Let that sink in for awhile. :laugh:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
All depends on the price. But if it's reasonable, then yes absolutely interested.

He has 1 year left and I guess I don't have to say anything about this weekend and trades so he could very well be traded for picks to create cap space.

I would have asked D prospects but we have now like 7-8 top4D prospects growing up and Kapanen is the only top6 potential winger prospect.

I could give Eriksson+ 1 of those D prospects if it gets me Kapanen but then again I like to watch pens games so maybe it's better not to ask him because I'm a finn :laugh: , but it would leave Maatta still and I just love the guy.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I would love to have Talbot back. The earlier picture that included
Talbot jersey was like a wet dream!
The Pens lost one nut once Max was traded and the other once Cooke was held back. The Pens need to be hated and not give a crap anymore. That bottom six needs a kick in the butt.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
According to CBS Chicago, the Hawks and Saad's camp seem to be far apart on contract talks. It is believed that they want him to take 2.8mil for 2-3 years as a bridge deal. If they don't get a deal done by Wed., we should offer sheet him for sure!

MrWilson*

The Pens lost one nut once Max was traded and the other once Cooke was held back. The Pens need to be hated and not give a crap anymore. That bottom six needs a kick in the butt.

Lapiere was that.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
According to CBS Chicago, the Hawks and Saad's camp seem to be far apart on contract talks. It is believed that they want him to take 2.8mil for 2-3 years as a bridge deal. If they don't get a deal done by Wed., we should offer sheet him for sure!

We need our second back from Toronto in order to offer something they won't match. And there's a very real chance we won't even have our first by Wednesday. Can't say I'm surprised at the Hawks starting offer though.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I feel like there are some posters here who will never learn their lessons. Bringing back guys who are worse now than when they were here the first time around makes absolutlely zero sense if we want to have an improved team. **** off with the nostalgia already.

MrWilson*

I understand, but here's the but I was thinking.

Your gm wants a top6 winger right? and he wants Kessel but if they can't fo it then who are left?

Oshie, I'd personally rather take Eriksson, brings more on the table.
sign UFA, they are going to get overpaid badly and UFA market is weak,
Beleskey's career high is 32 points and he will have a bigger cap hit than Eriksson, again Lou brings more on the table too,
Williams, too old and will get a expensive contract,
Frolik will get a expensive contract for what he brings on the table.

So Lou is signed for 1year with 4.25M, he does everything and does everything so damm well and next year Id say he is a 55-60point impressive 2way winger, great pk killer and player you use when defending a lead or chasing a lead, who knows what his points would be in Pittsburgh. With him you know you get an honest top6 guy who will win you games in one way or another.

So if Kessell trade won't work then I'd go after Eriksson, UFA market is weak and they will get too much money for what they bring on the table.

That's just my way of looking your situation.

Anything can happen, but if I was your gm I'd be calling Boston :laugh:

Please no Kessel...anyone but Kessel.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011

I've got no clue how to post tweets if anyone's interested talbot just tweeted rumors aren't true.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I'm trying to put myself in a place where I understand that we're not getting Kessel. A deal isn't coming tomorrow, and we're not going to do nothing on July 1st on the offchance that one gets done.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
The Hawks are smart, but man… I wish we had the chance to lock a support staff of the likes of Saad long term for 4 million. It almost sounds like a no brainer, doesn't it?

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I think the Hawks are just playing hardball. I think they'll match anything under 6 million per if they have to.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
Man, I really want a top 6 of Malkin, Crosby, Kessel, Hornqvist, Perron and Stewart.

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Stewart-Malkin-Kessel
Dupuis-Sundqvist-Bennett
Wilson-Spaling-Plotnikov

Pretty solid lineup, size, speed and skill all throughout that lineup. II think Stewart would add a much needed dimension to that second line. It would also be a pretty large skilled line.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If they would match anything on an offer sheet they can do as they please with trying to get Saad to lower his offers to the bridge deal.

Saad is a player we shouldn't waste our efforts on.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

The ****? $5.5M is fair market value for Saad.

Saad asking for 4m is an incredible home town discount, and Chicago asks him to take 2.8 for a couple years? Those are some big brass balls right there. Offersheeting him for 5.4m might be a pretty good play after all, just to stick it to Chicago.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Saad asking for 4m is an incredible home town discount, and Chicago asks him to take 2.8 for a couple years? Those are some big brass balls right there. Offersheeting him for 5.4m might be a pretty good play after all, just to stick it to Chicago.

It's better that it comes from a rival.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I have to ask. What's this obsession over having more elite talent on this team? I mean I'm not going to complain if we got Kessel (well depending on what we give up). But has anyone actually looked at how some of the other cup teams have been built?

Chicago:
14/15: 28, 27, 23, 22 were their 4 top goal scorers. 3 60 point players.
12/13: 23, 23, 17, 10 (on pace for 40, 40, 34.8, 17). 55 pts (95.9), 48 (83.7), 31 (63.5), 27 (48.1)
09/10: 30, 25, 25, 24. 4 60+ point scorers.

LA:
13/14: 29, 27, 19, 15 were their 4 top goal scorers. 1 70 pt player, 1 50 pt player, 2 40+ pt players.
11/12: 25, 22, 22, 18. 1 70 pt player, 2 50 pt players, 1 40 pt player.

Boston:
10/11: 30, 26, 22, 21. Two 62 pt players, 2 50+ pt players.

Now look at Pittsburgh.
Crosby has averaged 32 goals the last 2 years. Malkin 25, Kunitz 26, Neal/Horn 26, Perron 22. This is a team that offensively should be able to get it done. We do not need another elite elite player. Seriously. Go get someone like Oshie, Eriksson, JVR, Skinner, whatever. We do not need 40 goal 80 point players. There are skilled guys out there that will not cost a ton (compared to Kessel) and will have a very manageable cap hit. I'd much rather have Eriksson and Oshie for what... 8.15m then 8m for Kessel and a 900k scrub.

I get that Kessel is the "sexy" choice. But he's not a need. We need players who can play with our stars... but who are not necessarily stars themselves.

Now imagine we could trade Kunitz (+?) and Sutter (+?) and get Oshie and Eriksson. This below is only around 41m on forwards. Add in the rest of our current contracts (and a few guesses on the cheap guys) and it's around 62m. Lots of cap space to fill those holes and give Eriksson, Perron and Maatta their extensions next summer.

Eriksson - Crosby - Hornqvist
Perron - Malkin - Oshie
Dupuis - XXXXX - Bennett
Plotnikov - Sundqvist - XXXXX

You want to tweak that a little bit? Start making 1-1 player trades for someone that better addresses what you're looking for (speed, whatever). But it's a lot easier to make trades once you have talented players. It's a lot harder to actually get those talented players.

Oh and guess what. Odds are something like that doesn't need us to move KK, DP, Sprong, etc.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I could give Eriksson+ 1 of those D prospects if it gets me Kapanen but then again I like to watch pens games so maybe it's better not to ask him because I'm a finn :laugh: , but it would leave Maatta still and I just love the guy.

Pittsburgh doesn't have the prospect pool to move KK for someone who's 30ish and is a pending FA.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I wish there was some way we could realistically get Saad. I'd sign him in a heartbeat to a 8 year deal at $5M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad