OT - NO POLITICS We’ve entered the ‘ber’ months

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
It's true. American chocolate is mostly too sugary, and, for lack of a better word, not smooth enough. There's some very good chocolate made in Australia, especially if you buy the more artisanal stuff or from small producers, but the Euros do it best, no question. Especially the Belgians and Swiss.

The Belgians excel at four things in the food world - chocolate, beer, waffles and fries. I don't know how any of them stay thin. I once spent a glorious but ludicrously unhealthy week there and that was a calorie overload in itself!

Can't forget #5:

1695992212529.png

In fact, start with a good Tripel beer, then mussles with Belgian double dipped fries, then a Belgian waffle with melted Leonidas chocolat, then a Kriek/Trappiste beer to finish it off.

Belgium created the micro brewery scene 250+ years ago with the monasteries and all the region influences.

Single, double, triple beers all having different styles and flavours, then the Kreik where they mix into the fermentation cycle different types of fruits. Not a fan of all of those but there are some very good ones. There are a bunch of season beers as well as stouts like in Ireland and double fermented pale ales. Belgium has it all in the beer category for sure. Can't go wrong - just get ready for a kick if you're used to Bud, Miller, Coors and the other watered down pilsner knockoffs.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
NeelyDan's Friday Five:

1. When does liking someone a lot transition to loving someone?
2. Is there a job you'd do for free? Is it your current job?
3. Though you might not believe in it, would you like fate to exist?
4. What's the kindest thing that anyone has ever done for you?
5. Where are you sitting right now? Name three things you can see.

• Love
Reactions: caz16

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
NeelyDan's Friday Five:

1. I'm the last person to be asking that question. I have no freaking clue.
2. No. I'd do what I do for fun, yes. But I wouldn't do my exact job for free.
3. No. Don't believe in it, don't want it to exist.
4. When I was hospitalized, a stranger came in and prayed for me. Even as a decidedly lapsed Catholic, it was comforting.
5. Cube at work. Two monitors on those articulated arm thingies, a laptop docking station, and a desk phone which I've never hooked up because I hate people calling me.

Reactions: NeelyDan

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
NeelyDan's Friday Five:

1) I don't really know the answer, I have been married for 42 years and can't remember...lol I just know that I love my hubby just as much as when that transition became love. I am very lucky.

2) I have never loved a job. I would work at a chocolate factory for a heavy discount, does that count?

3) I do believe in fate, there are no coincidences. As time goes by, I believe that more & more. I do like it to exist even though it is crushing at times. We all have our bag of hammers, to quote Michael J Fox.

4) When I was really sick & throwing up on the TTC, a kind woman got me out of the subway & took me to one of the ticket booths, got them to call my brother who then came to get me. I mean, most people would want to sit further away as possible but she put her arm around me and took care of me.

5) In my home office. Bergeron's signed jersey, weather station, Pepsi bucket hat.

Reactions: BMC and NeelyDan

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
NeelyDan's Friday Five:

1. No idea. It gradually happens over time, but its not like there's some kind of checklist out there that you have to follow.

2. Coaching youth sports. And no, that's not my current job.

3. No. I do not believe in predetermined outcomes, nor do I want it to exist.

4. When my 4yr old daughter was in the hospital for 50 days (we also had a new-born baby at the time), my co-workers stepped in and basically did my job for me. My mom and mother in law also came out to watch the kids, so my wife and I could take turns being with her.

5. At my desk staring at a computer screen. Coffee mug, notepad and a Larry Bird rookie basketball card.

Attachments

• IMG_0517.jpeg
    IMG_0517.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 2

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
NeelyDan's Friday Five:

1) It's intuitive. There's a shift. I will tell you this....real love; it means supporting someone and understanding how they process things and make decisions. It is understanding and supporting how they practice self-love. The difference is youre not really interested in how their process affects you (as long as it's safe), but how you can support them loving and championing themselves.

2)I'd run community group support for families with trauma. It's close to part of what I do for work.

3) Friends....the universe supports you at all times. It is ALWAYS conspiring for your good and you just need to be present with it and ask for what you need. You also have to be present and awake to how those things are delivered because it doesn't always look like you think it will. It is all written and you just need to walk into it and let it unfold. Hands off the wheel and stop pushing so hard :) <------ (@Glove Malfunction can you remind me I said that last part, pls)

4)When I was newly divorced in 2012, I was struggling with no family support. I was working a part time job and doing freelance newspaper photography on weekends, absolutely hustling my a** off. My boss at the time left me bagels at my desk because he knew I was surviving on Ritz and pasta. He left me a knife with cream cheese because he knew I loved it. This continued every Thursday until I got a new job and moved on. He literally kept me fed and showed me how to survive.

5) My lemon tree, my Ganesha statue, my ponytail palm plant.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
1) It's intuitive. There's a shift. I will tell you this....real love; it means supporting someone and understanding how they process things and make decisions. It is understanding and supporting how they practice self-love. The difference is youre not really interested in how their process affects you (as long as it's safe), but how you can support them loving and championing themselves.

2)I'd run community group support for families with trauma. It's close to part of what I do for work.

3) Friends....the universe supports you at all times. It is ALWAYS conspiring for your good and you just need to be present with it and ask for what you need. You also have to be present and awake to how those things are delivered because it doesn't always look like you think it will. It is all written and you just need to walk into it and let it unfold. Hands off the wheel and stop pushing so hard :) <------ (@Glove Malfunction can you remind me I said that last part, pls)

4)When I was newly divorced in 2012, I was struggling with no family support. I was working a part time job and doing freelance newspaper photography on weekends, absolutely hustling my a** off. My boss at the time left me bagels at my desk because he knew I was surviving on Ritz and pasta. He left me a knife with cream cheese because he knew I loved it. This continued every Thursday until I got a new job and moved on. He literally kept me fed and showed me how to survive.

5) My lemon tree, my Ganesha statue, my ponytail palm plant.

I feel like you could help me out in life, miss

lol

• Love
Reactions: Kovi

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
NeelyDan's Friday Five:

1. Dont know. When it happens to me I'll let you know! I think it's when you stop seeing them as a friend and start looking at them with more affection. I've never gotten to explore one relationship with potential because I had no idea he felt that way towards me. When I realized he did and I ALSO felt that way, it was too late. Something I think about often. But it wasn't meant to be.

2. I'll do anything for free, if it means helping someone.

3. I believe fate exists. I believe if it's meant to be, it'll be. Or the universe/God aligned for certain things.

4. Oh goodness! Well, when my niece was 6 years old, for Christmas, she bought me my favorite book of poems from when I was a kid. And it was completely unexpected and truly the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me. It was Where the Sidewalk Ends, by Shel Silverstein. I made an off-hand remark when she was 3 years old. Truly. 3 years old. She was, and is very smart for her age. She was walking in her crib at 6 months old, I shit you not. She was always tall for her age. Talked early, read early, wrote, etc. She always wanted to sit at the kitchen table and talk. Anyways, I made that comment when she was 3 that it was my favorite book of poems and that id love to read her them one day. And then 3 years later I got it as a gift from her, with her own money, might I add. I cried and cried. It was a moment I'll never forget. She's 15 now and a typical teenager 🙄 but that moment will be forever one that means the most.
2014-12-25_15-20-40_484.jpg

2014-12-25_15-12-09_141.jpg

5. Sitting on my couch. I see my mom, my glasses, and my dog.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
SI joint procedure went well. It wasn’t the most pleasant experience and I was a bit wobbly after. I felt the medicine go all through the joint to my groin. It is not for the faint of heart.

I just woke up from a nice 4 hour nap and it’s very achey. I need some motrin and to ice it. Doctor said it will be about 2 weeks before Ithe shot really kicks in and I have to document my pain daily for the next 6-8 weeks.

I am allowed to drive starting tomorrow so I can go grocery shopping while taking if easy. Time for dinner.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
SI joint procedure went well. It wasn’t the most pleasant experience and I was a bit wobbly after. I felt the medicine go all through the joint to my groin. It is not for the faint of heart.

I just woke up from a nice 4 hour nap and it’s very achey. I need some motrin and to ice it. Doctor said it will be about 2 weeks before Ithe shot really kicks in and I have to document my pain daily for the next 6-8 weeks.

I am allowed to drive starting tomorrow so I can go grocery shopping while taking if easy. Time for dinner.
Wishing you healing, take it easy and I hope you feel much better soon.

Reactions: Alicat

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Can't forget #5:

View attachment 747285

In fact, start with a good Tripel beer, then mussles with Belgian double dipped fries, then a Belgian waffle with melted Leonidas chocolat, then a Kriek/Trappiste beer to finish it off.

Belgium created the micro brewery scene 250+ years ago with the monasteries and all the region influences.

Single, double, triple beers all having different styles and flavours, then the Kreik where they mix into the fermentation cycle different types of fruits. Not a fan of all of those but there are some very good ones. There are a bunch of season beers as well as stouts like in Ireland and double fermented pale ales. Belgium has it all in the beer category for sure. Can't go wrong - just get ready for a kick if you're used to Bud, Miller, Coors and the other watered down pilsner knockoffs.

100%. Can't go wrong with a serving of moules frites. I'm lucky - they farm mussels in the bay just down the road from where I live, so anytime I want some I can wander down and buy a bag fresh off the boat. Cheap and delicious.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Trip was fun.
Except the Bride came home with Covid. So I will still be sporadic for a bit. Just taking care of her and waiting for my turn.
Been 3 years so I suppose its way past due anyway.
Hop she gets better soon and fingers crossed you don’t get it. Welcome home

Reactions: Gee Wally

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Big hockey weekend in our house...

My oldest son scored a goal in his Junior A game Thursday, and was player of the game!

My second son got a shutout tonight against last year's league champs in his Junior B game, and he was player of the game!

And my youngest son (15) is playing for the u18's tomorrow. :crossfing
WOW. You must be busy!

Reactions: PlayMakers

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Big hockey weekend in our house...

My oldest son scored a goal in his Junior A game Thursday, and was player of the game!

My second son got a shutout tonight against last year's league champs in his Junior B game, and he was player of the game!

And my youngest son (15) is playing for the u18's tomorrow. :crossfing
Change your nickname to HockeyPlayerMaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad