OT - NO POLITICS We’ve entered the ‘ber’ months

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
When does it become acceptable to turn the heat on?

My apartment has zero insulation and is a moisture trap so the humidity is making it feel much colder than it is.

I’ve got a fleece blanket on my lap and I pulled out my leg warmers and am still cold.
november

Reactions: Alicat

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Happy Daughters Day!!!

My 3 <3

Attachments

• IMG_6379.jpeg
    IMG_6379.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 4

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
ive never heard of union oyester house, but my uncle texted me the recipe for their cornbread. holy shit. best cornbread i ever had. since saturday ive prob hsd about 10 squares of it. .

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I have a little electric heater in the living room, and it is on....it is not my heating system so does that count? I get cold easier now that I am older. It is because it is so damp.
I usually wait until October.

I'm a cheap bastard. I actually only heat one room in my apartment, the bedroom. And that is usually on low.

Get yourself a weighted blanket.

🔥place. Sure wish I had one. Nothing better.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY

I'm a cheap bastard. I actually only heat one room in my apartment, the bedroom. And that is usually on low.

I did a similar thing for a while when my old roommate and his girl moved out of the house the 3 of us were renting (3 br house). Turned the main thermostat down to 60 and used a space heater in my bedroom, and my 'cave' in the basement had electric heat with its own thermostat, so it worked out good for a bit til I moved out myself. Electric was actually pretty cheap in upstate NY.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Ddawg

Mar 7, 2020
Dublin, Ireland
For dampnes get a portable dehumidifier. I use 1 in the bathroom because of the shower and 1 in the living room. Work great, fairly cheap to run and warm up the room as they remove the water.

Reactions: Kovi and Alicat

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
When does it become acceptable to turn the heat on?

My apartment has zero insulation and is a moisture trap so the humidity is making it feel much colder than it is.

I’ve got a fleece blanket on my lap and I pulled out my leg warmers and am still cold.
I suffer from cold feet and legs and actually got chillblains on my toes at my old office. I got a heated mat and the difference was unbelievable. I hate the heat but the AC makes my feet too cold.

I then got one for home - when my feet and legs warm up, so does the rest of me. Just a thought since they are fairly inexpensive and very low heat. I got a couple of small mats to put them on so as not to affect the flooring.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I suffer from cold feet and legs and actually got chillblains on my toes at my old office. I got a heated mat and the difference was unbelievable. I hate the heat but the AC makes my feet too cold.

I then got one for home - when my feet and legs warm up, so does the rest of me. Just a thought since they are fairly inexpensive and very low heat. I got a couple of small mats to put them on so as not to affect the flooring.
I have heated foot warmers at the end of my bed that I use in the winter. I put it on low about 40 minutes before bed and when I crawl in it is warm but not too hot. I love doing it after I’ve been out at a B’s game or dinner. It is way better than jumping in the shower.

I need to look into those mats for my mom’s house bc the tile floor is brutal even with a bath mat down.

It could be 90 degrees and I’ll be wearing a zip up hoodie. Gotta love genetics.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I have a fireplace. It looks nice but really doesn't do much to actually heat my home.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I went to see my surgeon today. I have lost 14.5 pounds since my last appointment in August. He was very pleased with my progress and will perform the surgery on November 7. To say I am relieved is an understatement.On October 4 I have an appointment with the physical therapist- apparently there are some exercises I have to do to strengthen the area around the socket prior to the operation

Good for you Bets!

Those pre surgery exercises really help with the recovery!

Good Luck!

Thank you guys!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I did a similar thing for a while when my old roommate and his girl moved out of the house the 3 of us were renting (3 br house). Turned the main thermostat down to 60 and used a space heater in my bedroom, and my 'cave' in the basement had electric heat with its own thermostat, so it worked out good for a bit til I moved out myself. Electric was actually pretty cheap in upstate NY.

Yes. The heat is electric (Eversource here in MA). It's not necessarily cheaper, but you can opt, as I did, to get cleaner, energy efficient electricity. Rather than the standard, whatever that is.

So, you know, I did my good deed.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
May I ask why?

I'm guessing Kovi would say that a fireplace is therapeutic and comforting, and it is. I love a fireplace the way most people love the beach. Autumn for me!

My parents had a fireplace (in the middle of the house) that had these vents (Mom called them heat-a-lators) that pushed heat out to the home. My fireplace is on the outside wall and doesn't provide much actual heat. It looks nice.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
My parents had a fireplace (in the middle of the house) that had these vents (Mom called them heat-a-lators) that pushed heat out to the home. My fireplace is on the outside wall and doesn't provide much actual heat. It looks nice.
"Heat-a-lators." Thank you. I needed that.

Do you ever curl up by the fire with a glass of wine and a good book on a cold winter night?

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
1 - Mixed emotions - hunting to feed yourself or your family I can live with. Trophy hunting I cringe at.

2 - I will have a new iPhone 15 Pro Max by Monday thanks to a free upgrade from Xfinity.

3 - Longtime HF Bruins fans should know I consider this the greatest cartoon of all time

4 - View attachment 745368

5 - Men's bellbottom jeans

I can't share the bonus because it is an ongoing labor dispute between NESN and the truck company.

There is somebody at the top of the food chain at NESN who believes a company from Israel has developed an AI system that makes camera operators obsolete and the scary truth is Rogers has been using that system for CHL games in Canada.

I actually had an ugly text exchange with said NESN executive who said camera ops are as obsolete as

Mr. Executive Producer says the average viewer will not notice the difference and my dilemma is I know he has a strong hand. :banghead:

Newscasts have been using human-free cameras in studio for a long time.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

"Heat-a-lators." Thank you. I needed that.

Do you ever curl up by the fire with a glass of wine and a good book on a cold winter night?
with me it is a good book, cup of tea and a cat

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Really need to see @Gee Wally in the Magic Kingdom.

that ain’t happening. Disney that is. Cause Im at Universal. :D
Hanging out with the Minions. They make me laugh.

My daughter had the shirt made for me.

Tomorrow night Haunted Happenings. Special passes. Im already nervous. My understanding is they arent allowed to touch you. Which is good . For them too.

IMG_1500.jpeg

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
My upstairs neighbor thought that dumping grease down the drain was an appropriate disposal method. Hint: It's not. not sure who was more pissed me or the plumber. It could have been worse but even after scrubbing my sink I can still smell the grease even if it is faint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad