OT - NO POLITICS We’ve entered the ‘ber’ months

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NeelyDan's Friday Five:

1. What are your thoughts on the sport of hunting?
2. What type of phone do you use?
3. Got a favourite cartoon? What is it?
4. Hey, look - the OT - NO POLITICS crowd is getting together for a game of monopoly! What game piece are you choosing?
5. Confess the worst fashion trend you've ever succumbed to

Bonus picture question: take a photo of what's in front of you RIGHT NOW, and post it for us.

1 - Mixed emotions - hunting to feed yourself or your family I can live with. Trophy hunting I cringe at.

2 - I will have a new iPhone 15 Pro Max by Monday thanks to a free upgrade from Xfinity.

3 - Longtime HF Bruins fans should know I consider this the greatest cartoon of all time

4 -
1695468522827.png

5 - Men's bellbottom jeans

I can't share the bonus because it is an ongoing labor dispute between NESN and the truck company.

There is somebody at the top of the food chain at NESN who believes a company from Israel has developed an AI system that makes camera operators obsolete and the scary truth is Rogers has been using that system for CHL games in Canada.

I actually had an ugly text exchange with said NESN executive who said camera ops are as obsolete as

Mr. Executive Producer says the average viewer will not notice the difference and my dilemma is I know he has a strong hand. :banghead:

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
As an animal lover and having seen my share of irresponsible "hunters" over the years not for me. Anyone who thinks it is fun to shoot animals is not my kind of person.

I have a landline and cell. The cell sits in my purse and I use it when I am out of the house or for tickets for Bruins games.

Cartoons? not really into them.

the pup

My mother cut my hair when I was young. The bangs were too short and stuck straight up. I have straight hair and she use to give me perms...It did not work for me.

Brad Marchand and Kevan Miller are well-known hunters. The hunting and outfitting business they co-own even facilitates bear hunts. I don't like any of it, but trophy hunting particularly galls me. Hunting to harvest and use the meat or possibly even the pelts I can at least understand and see a proactive purpose to, especially amongst peoples who still live a more traditional lifestyle or are part of families that have done it for generations, even though I would never do it myself. But shooting an animal such as a bear or a moose just to show off and parade part of the kill is to me plain and simply wrong, and pretty twisted.

Brad and Kevan strike me as good people, and it does serve as a reminder that even otherwise decent and sensible folk can enjoy and in their own minds justify this stuff, even the purely 'sport' aspect. I get that there's something genuinely enjoyable and even meaningful about it for some people, and for men especially it can harken back to some pretty deeply-ingrained primeval instincts. So I wouldn't advocate banning it outright. But some places should probably regulate and restrict it more than they currently do.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Brad Marchand and Kevan Miller are well-known hunters. The hunting and outfitting business they co-own even facilitates bear hunts. I don't like any of it, but trophy hunting particularly galls me. Hunting to harvest and use the meat or possibly even the pelts I can at least understand and see a proactive purpose to, especially amongst peoples who still live a more traditional lifestyle or are part of families that have done it for generations, even though I would never do it myself. But shooting an animal such as a bear or a moose just to show off and parade part of the kill is to me plain and simply wrong, and pretty twisted.

Brad and Kevan strike me as good people, and it does serve as a reminder that even otherwise decent and sensible folk can enjoy and in their own minds justify this stuff, even the purely 'sport' aspect. I get that there's something genuinely enjoyable and even meaningful about it for some people, and for men especially it can harken back to some pretty deeply-ingrained primeval instincts. So I wouldn't advocate banning it outright. But some places should probably regulate and restrict it more than they currently do.
1695478346196.png

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
There is absolutely no reason for so-called “big game hunting.” Lions; elephants; tigers; cheetahs; etc. are of minuscule danger to anyone and I’m very thankful there are laws in place to protect them. Naturally, only law-abiding people obey those laws, and I’d like to see harsher penalties for poachers.

My father’s father liked hunting and ate what he bagged. Never mounted a trophy or anything frivolous like that. He probably got his taste for game growing up in a lumber camp after his parents died. My old man who had grown up around firearms and hunting, never really developed a taste for either, and therefore I was never introduced to it my own self.

As long as I can get beef; chicken; and pork at the grocery store, I have no desire to get up at zero dark thirty and sit in the cold damp woods waiting for something to wander in front of my rifle. I get up at 4am-ish for work as it is, so I’m not getting up that early on my days off, too.

Last edited:

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
Flying out to Orlando Sunday. Be back Friday night. That is if I dont have a heart attack.

It was on the Brides bucket list. Watcha gonna do?
Feel free to PM me if you want...Mrs. HHHH and I made the trip last year and it was honestly a lot more fun than we had expected

Reactions: Gee Wally

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
This is absolutely shocking for my entire family. My father and sister are with him now. We're going to do the right thing and end his suffering...I can't believe I'm saying that.

My mother is devastated. My other dog is confused.

I just...this whole thing so suddenly. I feel numb. Completely and utterly numb.
Angel Day Blessings to Louis.... Comforting Blessings to you and your family....

Reactions: Mione134

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
A Grafton animal control officer was able to catch the majority of the birds and rushed them to the center in Weymouth.

Rescuers said the birds were likely attracted to the smell of fried food.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Sorry to introduce a serious subject in a silly Friday thread, but if you're aware and concerned about CTE,

I dont want this to get lost because it's important.
If you watch the stories told by Dan Carcillo and Nick Boyton it's heartbreaking. But the protocols they have been a part of show incredible results. I recently read an article where Nick was interviewed and I cried all the way through it. (theyve both faced a lot of backlash from their stories.)
Steve Montador's family has been very vocal about this as well.
There's a Netflix documentary as well, but I cant remember the name.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I know it's one topic to keep on the radar.

Reactions: GordonHowe

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
NeelyDan's Friday Five:

1. What are your thoughts on the sport of hunting?
2. What type of phone do you use?
3. Got a favourite cartoon? What is it?
4. Hey, look - the OT - NO POLITICS crowd is getting together for a game of monopoly! What game piece are you choosing?
5. Confess the worst fashion trend you've ever succumbed to

Bonus picture question: take a photo of what's in front of you RIGHT NOW, and post it for us.
1. Hunting ain't a sport. I'm not against hunting and understand, I know people who hunt. No problem
however, I've known way too many bad actors. I probably grew up a bit different than a few of you but when you hear two guys bragging about how many Grizzlies and Black Bears they've shot on their ranches that spring it kinda turns you off.
I know more people that put up salt licks in their backyard to take down deer from their deck in the autumn than I do trackers.
Poaching is very prevalent
2. I think it's a Galaxy? If that's something.
3. Rocket Robin Hood and Hercules.
4. Wheelbarrow.
5. I've been wearing Vans (or Chucks), faded 501s and beaten up t-shirts since the 70s. Worst is that sometimes I look homeless.

Reactions: Gee Wally

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I love y’all and hope you all have wonderful lives

Be kind to each other
Always. Hunting is a strange topic though. I grew up around that culture but my dad, outdoors tough as nails blue collar kinda guy, forsaked hunting before I was born and got rid of all his rifles so I never personally grew up that way. He used to put food out for the bears and wolves.
I've spent most of my life outdoors but have never held a gun although near every person I know has.

Saying that... I'm not against hunting. I even know trophy hunters that I like as individuals.

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad