OT - NO POLITICS We’ve entered the ‘ber’ months

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
We flew to Louisville this morning for the music festival. Rancid (who played 2 nights in Boston) was on our flight.

Lars was standing behind me at baggage claim and I was like that dude is definitely here for the show. And my husband came back from the bathroom and was like uhhhhhhhhhhh that's Lars from Rancid.

Off to a good start!

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
We flew to Louisville this morning for the music festival. Rancid (who played 2 nights in Boston) was on our flight.

Lars was standing behind me at baggage claim and I was like that dude is definitely here for the show. And my husband came back from the bathroom and was like uhhhhhhhhhhh that's Lars from Rancid.

Off to a good start!
Have fun! Also, Graeters ice cream is some of the very best and they have shops in Louisville in case you need a sweet treat while you're there. Double chocolate chip is delicious.

Reactions: Kate08

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
so. when you guys install outlets or locks. how do you install them?
ground on top or bottom?
teeth of the key on top or bottom?
just curious

Reactions: rfournier103

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
so. when you guys install outlets or locks. how do you install them?
ground on top or bottom?
teeth of the key on top or bottom?
just curious
I’m a licensed electrician with 23 years in the business, and almost all the work I do is commercial and industrial.

Oftentimes in the plan details it will spec which way the receptacles (outlets/plugs) will be oriented. In commercial/industrial applications, the typical orientation is for the ground up. In residential applications, I’ve always seen receptacles with the ground down, so that’s how I always install them when I’m doing a residential job.

So… both.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarrenBanks56

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I’m a licensed electrician with 23 years in the business, and almost all the work I do is commercial and industrial.

Oftentimes in the plan details it will spec which way the receptacles (outlets/plugs) will be oriented. In commercial/industrial applications, the typical orientation is for the ground up. In residential applications, I’ve always seen receptacles with the ground down, so that’s how I always install them when I’m doing a residential job.

So… both.
ive never installed the recepticles ground up. just seemed weird. is that if something falls on the plug?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
When we had our place built the town Inspector had all the houses done with ground up.
63 houses with about 8 separate builders. But same spec. At least for the development.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
ive never installed the recepticles ground up. just seemed weird. is that if something falls on the plug?
Someone told me once many years ago that it was in case the plug came out halfway, and the metal plate came off for some reason, it would hit the ground and not hit the prongs - which would create a short between the hot and neutral.

Reactions: shelbysdad

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
When we had our place built the town Inspector had all the houses done with ground up.
63 houses with about 8 separate builders. But same spec. At least for the development.

thats what I was told when I asked.
ARTICLE 90.4 of the NFPA National Electrical Code (NEC)

“The authority having jurisdiction for enforcement of the Code has the responsibility for making interpretations of the rules, for deciding on the approval of equipment and materials, and for granting the special permission contemplated in a number of the rules.”

Essentially that means the Electrical Inspector has the final say on pretty much everything. Including how the receptacles are installed.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
ARTICLE 90.4 of the NFPA National Electrical Code (NEC)

“The authority having jurisdiction for enforcement of the Code has the responsibility for making interpretations of the rules, for deciding on the approval of equipment and materials, and for granting the special permission contemplated in a number of the rules.”

Essentially that means the Electrical Inspector has the final say on pretty much everything. Including how the receptacles are installed.

well, that sure explains my neighborhood.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
well, that sure explains my neighborhood.
Ha!

I’ll favor you with a funny story. Hope you’re entertained…

I was working at the Schraft’s Building one Saturday many years ago and the whole crew was taking lunch in the cafeteria. I had worked at a different site all week, and I was new to the company, so I didn’t know anyone there.

There was a table with only two guys sitting there so I asked if I could join them. They didn’t mind, so I sat down and started eating.

One was discussing a service upgrade he had done the previous week and had gotten an inspection a day later. He had packed up all his tools and his extension ladder, and was expecting the inspector to sign off so he could get paid from the homeowner.

The inspector said, “everything looks fantastic. I just want you to take some duct-seal (gray clay-like sealant) and cover up the holes in the weatherhead so wasps don’t nest in there. I’ll sign off as soon as you do that.”

Not wanting to get his extension ladder back out, the guy replies, “where does it say in the code book that I need duct-seal on the weatherhead?”

“Right where it says ‘AUTHORITY HAVING JURISDICTION.’”

I had all I could do to keep from laughing. The other two guys at the table didn’t think it was nearly as funny as I did.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Ha!

I’ll favor you with a funny story. Hope you’re entertained…

I was working at the Schraft’s Building one Saturday many years ago and the whole crew was taking lunch in the cafeteria. I had worked at a different site all week, and I was new to the company, so I didn’t know anyone there.

There was a table with only two guys sitting there so I asked if I could join them. They didn’t mind, so I sat down and started eating.

One was discussing a service upgrade he had done the previous week and had gotten an inspection a day later. He had packed up all his tools and his extension ladder, and was expecting the inspector to sign off so he could get paid from the homeowner.

The inspector said, “everything looks fantastic. I just want you to take some duct-seal (gray clay-like sealant) and cover up the holes in the weatherhead so wasps don’t nest in there. I’ll sign off as soon as you do that.”

Not wanting to get his extension ladder back out, the guy replies, “where does it say in the code book that I need duct-seal on the weatherhead?”

“Right where it says ‘AUTHORITY HAVING JURISDICTION.’”

I had all I could do to keep from laughing. The other two guys at the table didn’t think it was nearly as funny as I did.
Don't get me started with Health Inspections at the end of a project.....and inspectors just making shit up on the fly after you are completed and trying to open for business. They are the absolute worst.

Reactions: rfournier103

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Don't get me started with Health Inspections at the end of a project.....and inspectors just making shit up on the fly after you are completed and trying to open for business. They are the absolute worst.
A major reason I almost never do side jobs on my own. My employers can deal with that shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad