OT - NO POLITICS We’ve entered the ‘ber’ months

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I’ve got a very random question (mostly for the guys here):

How often do you think of the Roman Empire?

• Haha
Reactions: BMC

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I just seen someone on FB make a post about women asking men this for some reason. I didnt get far into the post.
Its the new Tik Tok trend. Forbes did an article talking about women asking men if they think about the RE and were surprised at the results and high percentage of men that do think about it. CNN and all the strings picked it up and ran with it.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

I’m a history nerd, so more often than most. Last time was Saturday at a used book fair…..Almost bought a book about the Teutoburg Forest, but went with Walter Lord’s book about the Alamo instead. Why?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kovi and Alicat

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I’m a history nerd, so more often than most. Last time was Saturday at a used book fair…..Almost bought a book about the Teutoburg Forest, but went with Walter Lord’s book about the Alamo instead. Why?

@RoccoF14 I am a history nerd as well. The Roman Empire still exists today as the Roman Catholic Church and that legacy is complicated.

The most puzzling person in the 20th Century IMHO is Lee Harvey Oswald and to this day nobody has been able to connect all the dots with him.

Reactions: Alicat

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

I'm not male but I love the history. One of my favourite places in the world is Bath, England. It all fascinates me, especially the brilliance of their architecture and engineering.

A side note, in the early 1960s my father built a fireplace in our house. Hadrian's Wall was very close by. I found out only several years ago that my Dad had taken some of the stones to build it! I was gobsmacked to hear this. I wish there was a picture of it!

Reactions: Ladyfan and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I was listening to a behind the scenes of a legal pop culture podcast and it came up because she saw it on tik tock. It is so random but interesting and I wend down the rabbit hole. I'm sure the root of it had to do with some need to criticize men but it backfired spectacularly.

This is an article about it: How Often Do Men Think About The Roman Empire? A Lot, According To New TikTok Trend

Personally, I think the question ended up highlighting just how influential history is in everyday life. I watch a youtube channel named Feli From Germany where she talks about the cultural differences between Germany and the US and it has really made me stop and think about just how influential historical events have been on the US

The used book fair sounds like a lot of fun. I am a history nerd so I would have been all over that section.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
@RoccoF14 I am a history nerd as well. The Roman Empire still exists today as the Roman Catholic Church and that legacy is complicated.

The most puzzling person in the 20th Century IMHO is Lee Harvey Oswald and to this day nobody has been able to connect all the dots with him.
Truth! I grew up with super religious Irish Catholic grandparents and went to Catholic school from grades 3-12. Everything in grade school revolved around church and they used bribery as a way to get us to be fully immersed in the church. Trips to amusement parks and donuts and coco before school. The grooming was right there and so many people ignored it.

I watch that too! It’s pretty great.
I loved her videos on Oktoberfest. I went to Munich as a teenager and I want to go back so bad. If she does another trip next year I want to go. A great mix of history and fun. I loved her video on Oppenheimer and Barbie.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I'm not male but I love the history. One of my favourite places in the world is Bath, England. It all fascinates me, especially the brilliance of their architecture and engineering.

A side note, in the early 1960s my father built a fireplace in our house. Hadrian's Wall was very close by. I found out only several years ago that my Dad had taken some of the stones to build it! I was gobsmacked to hear this. I wish there was a picture of it!
All the ladies here can answer too!

How they built their buildings and infrastructure without modern tools is so fascinating to me. That is so cool that your dad did that! How he took the stones was probably quite a story too,

Reactions: caz16

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
One of my favorite YouTube channels is called Alternate History Hub. It’s pretty much what you’d think it is, but presented in a very entertaining way.

My two favorite videos from this channel actually involve two of the most pivotal moments in human history.

The first is about Operation Downfall. Operation Downfall was going to be the invasion of Japan that would have taken place had Japan not surrendered when they did.

The second is about General MacArthur’s plan to drop fifty (50) atomic bombs on China after they entered the Korean War. In our world, the President said “no,” and fired MacArthur after he complained in the press. This video explores what would have happened had the bombings went forward.

Reactions: Mione134 and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
One of my favorite YouTube channels is called Alternate History Hub. It’s pretty much what you’d think it is, but presented in a very entertaining way.

My two favorite videos from this channel actually involve two of the most pivotal moments in human history.

The first is about Operation Downfall. Operation Downfall was going to be the invasion of Japan that would have taken place had Japan not surrendered when they did.

The second is about General MacArthur’s plan to drop fifty (50) atomic bombs on China after they entered the Korean War. In our world, the President said “no,” and fired MacArthur after he complained in the press. This video explores what would have happened had the bombings went forward.

Totally checking it out.

Fun fact I am related to General MacArthur through marriage. His second wife Jean was related to my grandfather somewhere in the line. The origins start in Virginia colony and then the family moved north.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI

well there goes my free time...thanks lol

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Paging the BIGGEST history nerd of all time......Paging, Paging....

*his beeper must be off

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
The used book fair sounds like a lot of fun. I am a history nerd so I would have been all over that section.
LOL. The book fair was in Santa Barbara, CA at the Earl Warren fairgrounds and I was working there, helping out my mother in law. It was a fundraiser for a local charity and she's been actively involved with it for about 10-15 years. People donate books, and they spend the year sorting and pricing them in a warehouse, for their book fair which runs 10 days. She's 85 and tiny, but still thinks she's 40.......So I was lugging boxes of books for her over the weekend.

She runs the Mystery/Fiction section so it was massive. Baldacci, Patterson, Grafton, Grisham, Connelly, Child, Clancy and Hugo by the crates, and all points in between......They had a vinyl record section, as well as a comic section. A lot of good stuff. My wife came home with 60lbs of books for her students (she teaches Photography at the College of DuPage), and I had to buy another suitcase to bring all that stuff home.

I came home with 3 paperbacks for the grand total of $7.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kovi and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
LOL. The book fair was in Santa Barbara, CA at the Earl Warren fairgrounds and I was working there, helping out my mother in law. It was a fundraiser for a local charity and she's been actively involved with it for about 10-15 years. People donate books, and they spend the year sorting and pricing them in a warehouse, for their book fair which runs 10 days. She's 85 and tiny, but still thinks she's 40.......So I was lugging boxes of books for her over the weekend.

She runs the Mystery/Fiction section so it was massive. Baldacci, Patterson, Grafton, Grisham, Connelly, Child, Clancy and Hugo by the crates, and all points in between......They had a vinyl record section, as well as a comic section. A lot of good stuff. My wife came home with 60lbs of books for her students (she teaches Photography at the College of DuPage), and I had to buy another suitcase to bring all that stuff home.

I came home with 3 paperbacks for the grand total of $7.
That sounds like a fantastic event and at least you will always remember the trip thanks to the new suitcase :)

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
All the ladies here can answer too!

How they built their buildings and infrastructure without modern tools is so fascinating to me. That is so cool that your dad did that! How he took the stones was probably quite a story too,

That's what has always intrigued me as well. No electricity, no power tools, no excavators, nothing that you see at a major construction site. Everything was built by hand with hand tools & they built magnificent roads, aqueducts etc that still work today. The Romans were great architects & engineers. You'd think with today's modern technology we could design & build better but we don't. The buildings are ugly and just forget the roads & bridges.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
That's what has always intrigued me as well. No electricity, no power tools, no excavators, nothing that you see at a major construction site. Everything was built by hand with hand tools & they built magnificent roads, aqueducts etc that still work today. The Romans were great architects & engineers. You'd think with today's modern technology we could design & build better but we don't. The buildings are ugly and just forget the roads & bridges.
That's because the emphasis is on building cheaper, and not building better.

Reactions: Kovi and BMC

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Yooooo who’s comin’

IMG_1853.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events