OT - NO POLITICS We’re on to Thanksgiving

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
No kidding. This has happened at my family cottage multiple times. You'd be BBQing, go inside for a second and find a black bear eating everything when you came back out.

Worst was when they'd get drunk on fermented apples and start stumbling because you didn't know. I've been woken up by black bears during afternoon naps/reading...

Even late last spring a black bear went for the hummingbird feeder, broke the window in the process and stuck its head inside.
LOL, another citing of Bruins on the attack in Vancouver... Sorry "b" I just had to.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Well pulled out the snowblower. Started her up. As much as I hate preparing. Good mild day to do it.
I have to do that with my big John Deere but since I've been hobbled with a medical issue, I bought and received a new electric "EGO" brand snowblower. It's only about 65 lbs with the 2 5lb each batteries but according to many it's a little dynamo. I'm not going to get rid of the gas snowblower since I haven't had experience with the new ones limitations & abilities. My garage is 50ish feet downhill from my house and then the rear shed is another stretch to get the snow thrower (the first time) and then it resides in the garage.
The electric one takes little room and can stay in the basement (charged batteries don't stay on charger). It'll be nice not inhaling the exhaust fumes from the Monster JD machine. Also, every time I've needed to use it, it breaks a shear bolt or has some other PIA issue.

Last edited:

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Bear crashes BBQ, eating 10 burgers

Woke up thinking about bears again so thought I'd requote.
I grew up around bears. Living in Vancouver I don't see them as often anymore although my sister still sees them weekly.
I've only been within say 50' of a grizzly maybe 4 or 5 times (not in a car) but within 10' of black bears a lot.
Couple quick stories.

When my sister and I were 11 and 12 or we wanted to go mini-golfing, so never told anyone but took our 5 year old brother for a two klik walk through the woods and found ourselves between a black bear and her two cubs so the two of us being the 'grown ups' scared them away. Played mini golf, walked home, not realizing people had been frantically searching for us for hours. In hindsight we probably shouldn't have told them about how cool it was to be that close to a mama bear and her cubs. If faded memory serves we had hawkish eyes on us for a few days before our latchkey childhood resurfaced.

I'm going to say 14? I ran into a blackbear on my 10 speed. Like hit it as it came out of the bush. I fell towards its rear while it just kept walking.

My second favourite grizzly memory is hiking in Jasper. I wandered a half klick in front as they had their whistles. Which was anathema to me at the time as they reported 7 in the area and I wanted to see a few. Anyways like clockwork one drifted onto the path about 20ft ahead for a few seconds before disappearing back into the bush. So I paused, looking to my left, walk forward, hear something to my right.... and there's a full bull moose with probably the largest rack I've seen just standing there staring at me. If you've never seen one.... they are something. I peed myself a little.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I have to do that with my big John Deere but since I've been hobbled with a medical issue, I bought and received a new electric "EGO" brand snowblower. It's only about 65 lbs with the 2 5lb each batteries but according to many it's a little dynamo. I'm not going to get rid of the gas snowblower since I haven't had experience with the new ones limitations & abilities. My garage is 50ish feet downhill from my house and then the rear shed is another stretch to get the snow thrower (the first time) and then it resides in the garage.
The electric one takes little room and can stay in the basement (charged batteries don't stay on charger). It'll be nice not inhaling the exhaust fumes from the Monster JD machine. Also, every time I've needed to use it, it breaks a shear bolt or has some other PIA issue.

I hear you. I have an industrial grade Arians. Not the big box crappy ones.
Solid steel from a local small engine business here. Paid $1600 for it 15 years ago. My driveway is like a ski slope but this heavy snow sonofabitch gets it done. But it’s still a helluva workout for m e.

Reactions: Gordoff and hrdpuk

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Last few weeks*

Apparently a buddy quit cuz he told the chef he had the flu and wanted to leave and chef said youll be ok

Thankagiving while in dry storage I heard one of the broiler cooks hack and weez for damn near a minute

Lovely.

I cannot deal with any more people today.

Open enrollment aaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhhhh

Just for you,

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Speaking from experience even minor health issues can mess with your lifestyle and work . Then the major ones come along and everything goes to hell . Hope your medical issue clears up .

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I hear you. I have an industrial grade Arians. Not the big box crappy ones.
Solid steel from a local small engine business here. Paid $1600 for it 15 years ago. My driveway is like a ski slope but this heavy snow sonofabitch gets it done. But it’s still a helluva workout for m e.
LOL, several years ago (basically the last time we got any significant snow) I broke a shear bolt in one of the hubs/wheels. I didn't realize it but going uphill (and downhill) in the driveway with the wind in my fact pushing a foot of snow with this monster was a physical workout I don't ever want to do again. Another time one of the shear bolts broke on one side of the auger, again I'm forcing it into heavy slushy snow and getting only about a five foot throw. It's weird how obtuse I was in NOT realizing when a one of those little bastards breaks and leaves me stranded in the street doing a neighbors front walk 200 feet away. I'm not planning on being "that neighbor" anymore. Gonna be selfish and just do my property and not have to go into traction for 2 days after.
BTW: Anyone with a snowblower should know to spray Pam or a similar type spray in the chute and auger to keep them from getting jammed with snow/ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: hrdpuk

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
LOL, several years ago (basically the last time we got any significant snow) I broke a shear bolt in one of the hubs/wheels. I didn't realize it but going uphill (and downhill) in the driveway with the wind in my fact pushing a foot of snow with this monster was a physical workout I don't ever want to do again. Another time one of the shear bolts broke on one side of the auger, again I'm forcing it into heavy slushy snow and getting only about a five foot throw. It's weird how obtuse I was in NOT realizing when a one of those little bastards breaks and leaves me stranded in the street doing a neighbors front walk 200 feet away. I'm not planning on being "that neighbor" anymore. Gonna be selfish and just do my property and not have to go into traction for 2 days after.
BTW: Anyone with a snowblower should know to spray Pam or a similar type spray in the chute and auger to keep them from getting jammed with snow/ice.

Ive used numerous sprays over the years. This for my money beats em all.

Reactions: Gordoff and hrdpuk

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Booked two apartment tours for Saturday. Both are in great areas and near all the stores which will make running errands so much more efficient and easy. Best part is they are close to my mom and sister. The one struggle I have is that a lot of apartments insist on wall to wall rug except for the kitchen and bathroom. I feel like I am going to need to deep clean the damn place weekly especially in the spring and summer.

I've seen my niece every day and nothing is better than baby snuggles tho at 7 months old she's awfully squirmy. Only a matter of time before she crawls forwards. She loves watching hockey with Auntie Ali.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I hate taking cold medicine. It's only Alka Seltzer severe cold night time (the plop plop fizz fizz version) but I'm way out in left field. Ugh.

At least I should get a decent night's sleep lol

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I hate taking cold medicine. It's only Alka Seltzer severe cold night time (the plop plop fizz fizz version) but I'm way out in left field. Ugh.

At least I should get a decent night's sleep lol
The only stuff like that I can take is coricidin (?). Anything with psuedo...
Makes me stoned and one pupil gets bigger than the other.

For a stuffed nose use olbas oil which helps you breathe way better and the heat on your chest lasts way longer than Vicks

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Surgery all set for Monday....time TBD

Made it through all the presurgery appointments.

Been really bad since the Bernese Mountain Dog jumped it....and foot slipped causing the stutter step...

Beyond ready to get this done.

One more job tomorrow then the countdown begins
Good luck. You will be fine

Reactions: shelbysdad

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Surgery all set for Monday....time TBD

Made it through all the presurgery appointments.

Been really bad since the Bernese Mountain Dog jumped it....and foot slipped causing the stutter step...

Beyond ready to get this done.

One more job tomorrow then the countdown begins

Best wishes Brian!

Reactions: shelbysdad

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
A friend of mine is on a cruise, currently in Mexico. She posted a video of the boat leaving dock. You know how they blow the horn when they leave? This one literally played the theme song to The Love Boat on its horn. :laugh: I had no idea they could do that lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad