OT - NO POLITICS We’re on to Thanksgiving

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Ladyfan knows this but tapped a guy on the arm yesterday. Most innocuous thing and he turned and cold cocked me. Threw another as I was like 'what the f***?'. As I turned to walk away he caught me again in the shoulder which aches today.
I'm no shrinking violet and can take a punch but it was so f***ing random that I didn't know how to respond.
Too many people are angry.
Some 6'4" 240lb decently dressed dude.

Glad he never had a knife and that it was me and not my gal,kids or someone else.
….what the eff

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Ladyfan knows this but tapped a guy on the arm yesterday. Most innocuous thing and he turned and cold cocked me. Threw another as I was like 'what the f***?'. As I turned to walk away he caught me again in the shoulder which aches today.
I'm no shrinking violet and can take a punch but it was so f***ing random that I didn't know how to respond.

Glad he never had a knife and that it was me and not my gal,kids or someone else.

lots of nuts out there nowadays.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

That is terrifying. I have seen this type of thing on the news, video footage of it happening in Toronto. I am scared of what is happening in this world, as you said, too many angry people. That single act could change someone's life hugely.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I've never caught one of these on a Friday, first timer:

1. No, but I have done the opposite (sticking through a upcoming Bday/Xmas)
2. No. Will offer to buy food if it makes sense (IE, outside a dunkins)
3. Sports Hub simulcast, fan behind me in my office, faint traffic out on the street.
4. Non-believer/N/A
5. I pretended to have Covid to get out of a friend/family commitment. That enough? If not that than pretending to be better than I really was a few years ago to friends/family so they didn't worry (all good now, years ago).

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I've never caught one of these on a Friday, first timer:

1. No, but I have done the opposite (sticking through a upcoming Bday/Xmas)
2. No. Will offer to buy food if it makes sense (IE, outside a dunkins)
3. Sports Hub simulcast, fan behind me in my office, faint traffic out on the street.
4. Non-believer/N/A
5. I pretended to have Covid to get out of a friend/family commitment. That enough? If not that than pretending to be better than I really was a few years ago to friends/family so they didn't worry (all good now, years ago).
Welcome to the FF club

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
2. Yes. If I have it. Absolutely. I have this thing, even as a child, the song "What if God was one of us"? And I've always thought to myself, what if I have money on me, and a stranger or homeless person is begging for money, if I turn them down, what if that was God? Or some sort of being as a test to see if I care? And I care deeply. So. If I can. And if I'm able to, I give. Sure, some might use it for booze, some might be pulling trucks, or some might actually be homeless. Either way. I don't care what they do with the money. If I'm helping someone who is asking for help, I don't mind. I'd like to think if the situation was turned around, would someone help me? And that's how I life my life.
Forgive me for quoting./snipping this, but I have a very silly story that popped into my mind reading this, it has nothing more to do with your post than that.

Back in high school a few friends and I played hookie and went into the city. We spent most of that time indulging in a certain plant. As we emerged from our hiding spot near South Station, there was this random guy pushing someone on a wheel chair asking if we could take him the rest of the way (I forget where exactly). We obviously effectively freaked out, said no, and went on our way. Well one my friends started saying What if God was one of us? What if that guy in the chair was Jesus testing us? We have to do something! I don't even believe in God, nor did I then, but he had me going. We ended up going back to help but they were gone when we arrived.

In short, I'm either going to Hell because of that or we avoided getting robbed blind.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
NeelyDan's Friday Five:

1. Ever deliberately broken up with someone ahead of a holiday to avoid that additional timing-related stress?
2. Do you give money to the homeless when approached on the street, out front of the supermarket, etc.?
3. Paying very close attention to your surroundings, what do you hear at this very moment? Be detailed.
4. What race/sex is your God?
5. What was the last significant lie you told? Cleanse thyself, brothers and sisters, in this sea of relative anonymity.
1.no
2.no. only once. true story. after a bruins game when i was younger, you needed a collared shirt to get into this club. i think it was called the Rack. i had a bruins jersey on and couldnt get in. so i gave this homeless dude 5 bucks for the collared shirt he was wearing.lol.
3.music in the background while im eating lunch
4.not really religious. dont even think about that stuff really.
5.nothing really signifigant. just alot of lies to make individuals not feel bad about themselves.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

He should have to pay for that.

Reactions: caz16 and NeelyDan

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Friday five:

1. No
2. Yes, I live in a tough neighborhood with a lot of homeless and troubled people. However, a few of them recognize me and hit me up everytime I go for a walk, so I stopped giving to one person.
3. Conversations and sirens from my aforementioned neighborhood.
4. My Bible says He and I go with that. He is beyond race and sex though. The Chinese have a special, non-specific, singular pictogram/word for God.
5. That my health is good. How ya doing? Fine, I say. According to several scans during my cancer scare, I am fine, but I have not felt fine for sometime.

Last edited:

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
NeelyDan's Friday Five:

1. Ever deliberately broken up with someone ahead of a holiday to avoid that additional timing-related stress?
No.
2. Do you give money to the homeless when approached on the street, out front of the supermarket, etc.?
If someone who appears to be in need approaches me, I’ll give them a 5 or a 10. However… if I have food with me - on my way to or from work or the grocery store -I’ll offer them something to eat instead.

Matthew 25:40 ~ And the king answering, shall say to them: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it to one of these my least brethren, you did it to me.
3. Paying very close attention to your surroundings, what do you hear at this very moment? Be detailed.

Motor vehicles in the distance. It’s quiet here.
I’m pretty sure that God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit is Male.

I am also pretty sure that God does not have a “race.” And if He did, I would not care.
5. What was the last significant lie you told? Cleanse thyselves, brothers and sisters, in this sea of relative anonymity.
In the past I have signed my name on important documents as “Jed Clampett.” So often apparently, that I had been entered into “the system” as having an alias. For example:

rfournier103
DOB - XX/XX/XXXX
Address - XXXXXX
Known aliases - AKA: JED CLAMPETT.

This came up in a job interview once, and thankfully my interviewer was a fellow Westfield State Fighting Owl who had the means and authority to delete that from my record. I had no idea it was even in there! I’ve told that story here before. I suppose the biggest lie you can tell someone is that you’re actually someone else. I’ve told some whoppers in my day, but I’d say that’s the biggest.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Wally is the best.

You will be fine because you care.

You can always come here for advice as there are many dads on this board!

When I got my first, the doctor asked what I did for a job. I told him and said it was boring but paid the bills...He said "I look up people's asses all day" :laugh:

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
We are on the cusp of a new era on par with the discovery of the internet - maybe even on par with the discovery of electricity

IMG_2596.png

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
That is terrifying. I have seen this type of thing on the news, video footage of it happening in Toronto. I am scared of what is happening in this world, as you said, too many angry people. That single act could change someone's life hugely.
Just ... ugh. My teenage daughters wander Vancouver and Toronto on their own and although I'm not always comfortable I trust them. I forget about this idiocy. 98% of my interactions are positive but then you get this shit.

p.s. 5 I wish my family blushed. Me, my kids, gal, siblings, parents, nephews, nieces, cousins, etc. Our lies are just part of the conversation.
Might be all the board games and cards.

Reactions: caz16 and Ladyfan

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Reactions: BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Mini rant:

Although I feel good 10 days after the surgery I get tired very quickly. Take today for example. I got up, did my laps& exercises, ate breakfast and then did some work. I was up for maybe 2 1/2 hours. I was completely whipped as if I had been up all day. I went back to bed, only getting up long enough to eat lunch & dinner plus exercise.

: rant:

Reactions: Kovi and hrdpuk

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Mini rant:

Although I feel good 10 days after the surgery I get tired very quickly. Take today for example. I got up, did my laps& exercises, ate breakfast and then did some work. I was up for maybe 2 1/2 hours. I was completely whipped as if I had been up all day. I went back to bed, only getting up long enough to eat lunch & dinner plus exercise.

It gets better

Reactions: GordonHowe and BMC

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Mini rant:

Anesthesia will do that to you. I had a 12 hour surgery once, it took me 6 months to stop feeling the after effects.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
NeelyDan's Friday Five:

5. What was the last significant lie you told? Cleanse thyself, brothers and sisters, in this sea of relative anonymity.
1. Never ran into that situation.
2. No, I'm very frugal and not really open to just giving away money. I should give back more somehow, but I've seen the homeless around here and to be honest, they're a problem and I can't just trust them or that the money will go to any good or help them get out of that situation in any way, so I don't give to panhandlers.
3. I hear Judge Judy on the TV
4. Per the Summa Theologiae, God cannot be subject to limiting categories like gender and race. But for tradition and consistency's sake use masculine pronouns when referring to him.
5. It was probably something about giving up drinking soda even though I haven't and won't, just to stop the nagging.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Spikevax packs a wallop and I slept most of Friday but feel fine this morning. Got the flu vaccine as well so................

Last edited:

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Mini rant:

I hope my knee feels better quickly after replacement....right now I have about 2 good hours a day.

At times it gets really bad. Can't wait for it to happen. My best friend lately is my heating pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad