OT - NO POLITICS We’re on to Thanksgiving

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
There is a much bigger line than sports teams.

I don't know. Politics takes up so little of my time, I tend to accept differences there. Each person believes what they believe and I don't have to walk in their shoes. Being a Habs fan? That I cannot forgive.

• Haha
Reactions: Ladyfan

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
I keep thinking about the absolute vitriol in College campuses all around the world. I saw what happened at Concordia University. Heard about the gunfire shot at two Jewish schools in Montreal. It's just keeps getting worse.

I'm Catholic as many of you know, but I have a lot of Jewish friends. And let me tell you. They. Are. SCARED. If you know any Jewish people, reach out to them. Let them know you are there for them.
Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a significant event for people's hate to show up front and center. And we're definitely seeing a huge amount of it right now, in numbers that I never thought possible.
NeelyDan’s bonus Sunday sixth:

What is the appropriate response when someone knocks on the door of the public stall you’re in?
You coming to help?
Though I would never disown a family member for not believing in what I believe. That's crazy.
I agree.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

IMO Apollo 8 was the most adventurous & dangerous of the entire program. Why, you might ask? Well for starters the mission plan was switched about half way through the training which was/is unheard of for NASA. One reason was the lunar module wasn't going to ready to be flight tested and second CIA intelligence indicated the Russians were going to send their moon rocket up unmanned just to say they got there first.

The second thing was if the CSM's engine didn't fire hard/long enough they would remain in moon orbit forever, remember there was no lunar module to act as a life boat as it did for Apollo 13 🚀

Reactions: Gordoff

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
You guys saying it’s crazy to “disown” based on politics - are you really thinking it through? If I had a family member actively supporting the discrimination or oppression of a marginalized demographic (pick one, there’s lots of examples), you can bet your ass I’d say goodbye.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
You guys saying it’s crazy to “disown” based on politics - are you really thinking it through? If I had a family member actively supporting the discrimination or oppression of a marginalized demographic (pick one, there’s lots of examples), you can bet your ass I’d say goodbye.

That's the thing. I don't consider bigotry, discrimination, or oppression to be irrevocably linked to politics. I certainly judge based on those attributes, but I don't immediately assign those attributes based on one's political affiliation.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
That's the thing. I don't consider bigotry, discrimination, or oppression to be irrevocably linked to politics. I certainly judge based on those attributes, but I don't immediately assign those attributes based on one's political affiliation.

That’s fair.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
I think its way more involved than the example above, and I don't know how to get into it without chatting politics and I try my absolute best to not talk politics out of respect of the mods here (even though i've failed in the past).

All I'll say here is, a combination of what that family member's specific message/belief is + how YOU interpret that belief has to be taken into consideration in order for me to have an opinion

You want specifics? Lets DM.

Reactions: Mione134 and BMC

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I think its way more involved than the example above, and I don't know how to get into it without chatting politics and I try my absolute best to not talk politics out of respect of the mods here (even though i've failed in the past).

All I'll say here is, a combination of what that family member's specific message/belief is + how YOU interpret that belief has to be taken into consideration in order for me to have an opinion

You want specifics? Lets DM.

I was intentionally generalizing - the idea that family connection grants immunity to thinking that is abhorrent is a challenging one.

Reactions: Ladyfan

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
True!

Though I would never disown a family member for not believing in what I believe. That's crazy.

Unless you're a Yankee, Habs, or Maple Leaf fan. That's where I draw the line.

I agree. If you can't handle someone (relative or friend) disagreeing with you on a serious topic then you're the one with problem, not them. Open your mind instead of your mouth you just might learn something new-about the topic, yourself, them or all of the above.
What's that saying? You can disagree all you want as long as you're not being disagreeable. :)

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Unfortunately, politics IS a huge dividing line in the US these days. It really is splitting families apart and literally turning family members against each other in a way this country hasn’t seen since the 1860s.

It didn’t used to be that way.

The advent of cable “news” and the internet (and with that, social media) have actually pushed people away from the center and to the edges. On both sides. To the point where we can’t talk about it here. Why? Because we’ve become incapable of having civil conversations and the “other side” is “evil.”

I’m actually old enough to remember when most people didn’t give a shit about each other’s politics and disagreement on hot-button topics didn’t necessarily mean you had to hate each other.

It was a better time.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I agree. If you can't handle someone (relative or friend) disagreeing with you on a serious topic then you're the one with problem, not them. Open your mind instead of your mouth you just might learn something new-about the topic, yourself, them or all of the above.
What's that saying? You can disagree all you want as long as you're not being disagreeable. :)
For a large portion of topics I agree - but not all.

Reactions: hrdpuk and Ladyfan

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
The concept that family is infallible just because they share a bloodline with you is way more out there to me than disowning someone because they disagree with you on certain topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad