OT - NO POLITICS We’re on to Thanksgiving

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Living alone isn't always a bad thing. My cats do walk into the bathroom unannounced though.:sarcasm:
Yep, I lived alone in a house in upstate NY for 18 months after my roommate and his girl moved out and it's kind of a strange feeling. I also had no pets but I couldn't because of work at the time which included a lot of travel.

The house was haunted though and I stand by that. :laugh:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Yep, I lived alone in a house in upstate NY for 18 months after my roommate and his girl moved out and it's kind of a strange feeling. I also had no pets but I couldn't because of work at the time which included a lot of travel.

The house was haunted though and I stand by that. :laugh:
Haunted can be interesting

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Haunted can be interesting
The house made certain noises.
Shortly after I had the place to myself I was in the bathroom one morning and heard someone/something walk down the hallway.

There was nobody, no vehicles, no 'nothing'(I kinda lived in the woods)

I never shut the bathroom door again while I lived alone.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I won't disown family but rather, I do not engage with them. I have zero tolerance for the crap certain relatives have done to other family members. I'll be cordial if I am ever in the same space but I'm just passive aggressive enough to let them know where they stand.

Growing up the holidays were fair game for any kind of talk and you better be ready to defend your views on certain matters. We were always taught to be free thinkers and you better be able to explain yourself when disagreements arise.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I won't disown family but rather, I do not engage with them. I have zero tolerance for the crap certain relatives have done to other family members. I'll be cordial if I am ever in the same space but I'm just passive aggressive enough to let them know where they stand.
I am lucky as none of my family members have ever done anything that I would find unacceptable.

Reactions: hrdpuk and Alicat

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Mac Jones is obviously not the pilot as we have a TOUCHDOWN!!!!

The drive covered 3,775 miles in 8 hours 15 minutes

1699900338068.png

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
This is my brief commentary on family: (I'm writing because I am the one that broke the generational trauma)

I did a book project exactly a year ago. The chapter I write included the story of my growing up being disabled and the support, and sometimes lack of support I received). all true, I didn't exaggerate or change anything. My sister took great exception to what I wrote calling it "a pack or lies, and that I should have required my mother to sign a waiver before I wrote it." Friends, there was nothing negative in any way written about my mother; I simply wrote that she focus on resilience and persevering.
I was working with my business/trauma coach at the time and she very succinctly said.....not everyone has the capacity to hold your joy. How we live our lives is not for others to approve. Sometimes our joy or ethical thread causes fear when other people look at it because they may see their own scarcity as a mirror.
*When you are the person that breaks the scarcity tradition, you will be scapegoated again and again-dont fall for it.

This was life-altering for me. For my whole life I looked to fit into family approval, to be loved from affirmation/praise.
What I realized was that I don't fit in, because I stand apart. The only approval I need, is my own....
Standing up for yourself sometimes challenges people who cant do it on their own but want to. You don't have to live in anyone else's framework. Shine.

I see this literally all the time in my industry.

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Man when I saw that heartbeat

Not sure I’ve ever had a feeling like that
This is gonna sound weird, but you know that scene in Stepbrothers when they first come up with the idea for Prestige Worldwide, and Will Ferrell says "I feel like a lightning bolt just...[redacted]"

That's kinda how I picture your reaction lol. Congrats man. All the congrats.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I agree. If you can't handle someone (relative or friend) disagreeing with you on a serious topic then you're the one with problem, not them. Open your mind instead of your mouth you just might learn something new-about the topic, yourself, them or all of the above.
What's that saying? You can disagree all you want as long as you're not being disagreeable. :)

"Let's agree to disagree."

"You can disagree without being disagreeable."

After more than a few acrimonious incidents with my brother Michael that placed our relationship in jeopardy, I made the decision to avoid certain topics all together.

We simply don't talk about them anymore. I cannot change his mind, and he certainly can't change mine.

Everyone wants to be right.

Being "right" isn't worth losing my brother.

I don't think anyone here is claiming anyone is infallible.

I am.

Infallible, that is.

Me and the Pope.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

Growing up the holidays were fair game for any kind of talk and you better be ready to defend your views on certain matters. We were always taught to be free thinkers and you better be able to explain yourself when disagreements arise.

Yes.

Four boys.

Four girls.

Discuss.

I'm getting verklempt.

Reactions: Alicat

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I am lucky as none of my family members have ever done anything that I would find unacceptable.
you are lucky....i had a family member forward our texts from a personal conversation we were having to her friends and family....i haven't talked to her since

i think the problem is when outside influences, be it P or R that we cant mention, their SO, lifestyle, whatever, when the outside influence changes them into someone else than the person they used to be that is the problem.

My wife has commented before that if her sister wasn't her sister no way would they be friends...complete opposites in every way

If being around someone, friend, relative whatever is a huge stressor that you know its not going to end well, its just easier to not be around them...my wife has 3 best friends, the husbands do not get along at all so there is never a couple situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad