Post-Game Talk: WCSF | Golden Knights def. Canucks - 5-3 - Lead Series 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
He has been using it. He's just not a PWF.
Not really.

I mean I guess it depends on what we mean by "using speed".

Skating around and being a passenger while "using speed" vs creating space for yourself and teamates "using speed".

On the PWF note he may not want to be that but he is also not a speedy create space type of guy.

So what is he?

I like what Bertuzzi said on a radio show a few weeks back. He doesnt see Jake wanting the puck on his stick. And that is him to a T.

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
Jake has a cap of 1.25 million and was good for 18 goals!! How do you replace for a similar cost if we are to trade him?

He needs a new contract anyways. Would you pay 3 million for him to just be a sheltered stat sheet hero?

Evander Kane, Chris Kreider, ... even Raffi Torres and Jannik Hansen. What do those guys do that Virtanen doesn't? It's not just points...

If it's cheap (2-2.5), I guess it's something to live with. But more than that and I'd rather have a 2nd and cap space to sign other critical players like Stecher.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
ok with jake here is my historical precedent

jim sandlak, big huge toolsy 4th overall pick, born with a toaster where his brain should be, played like he was constantly getting distracted by butterflies

in 1992, down 3-1 against the jets, sandlak comes to motherf***ing life on a line with fellow soft lazy floater petr nedved and tom fergus.

two goals in game 5 including a crazy/brilliant tip on the PP that arguably swung the series

three assists in games 6 and 7 (aka the bure hat trick game and the courtnall hat trick game)

a year later he's traded away for an actual good player, murray craven

you can do it jakey

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Not sure I'd put him so high. He got 3 assists but that was a pretty poor performance especially on the PP when he kept bobbling and throwing passes to no one.

True, Miller had a lot of turnovers and gave the puck away in key situations when we had heavy pressure. Try’s to force passes and made poor decisions.

Last edited:

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I’m still frustrated at that game. All the other losses haven’t been this annoying. I think it’s because it was mostly self-inflicted. The multiple times not getting the puck out of the zone when players had possession of the puck and the bad goals Marky let in. These are the games where the Canucks beat themselves.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
He needs a new contract anyways. Would you pay 3 million for him to just be a sheltered stat sheet hero?

Evander Kane, Chris Kreider, ... even Raffi Torres and Jannik Hansen. What do those guys do that Virtanen doesn't? It's not just points...

If it's cheap (2-2.5), I guess it's something to live with. But more than that and I'd rather have a 2nd and cap space to sign other critical players like Stecher.

Benning would really suck at negotiating if he gives Jake 3+ million. He should be getting something like a 1 year 2 million deal, prove that you can hit 20 goals again and continue to improve your game before deserving more. Virtanen doesn’t deserve a 3 million deal at this point, but he also doesn’t deserve all the backlash he gets, just like how Horvat didn’t deserve years!!! Of backlash from Nuck fans. We definitely need more players like Torres and Hansen! That’s exactly what our bottom 6 is missing

Reactions: Indiana

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Gotta say, Minnesota is so stupid for giving away a player like Tuch for free.

He would easily be on their top line.

wont be surprised if in a year or two people are saying the same thing towards us, can’t believe the Canucks gave Demko and Virtanen away!

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Deboer's right

They had a fresh goalie in the net, and Markstrom was exhausted in the 3rd, but mostly played terrible all night.

Just out coached Green.

I lost a little respect for Green for blowing up at Reaves this game. How do you expect your team to have composure when you cannot reign in your own emotions? It was surprising because he’s usually reserved.

Playing Markstrom again in a B2B is scared coaching. Everyone knew it was coming.
Apparently, goalies cannot become fatigued? Smart plan.

DeBoer had the advantage going in because he had the better team. Green played into that advantage by making conservative choices.

His strategy was actually the strategy of the coach with the better team, not of the coach that recognizes his team is weaker and has to take chances to succeed. Green’s vision for this series was/is faulty.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I really dislike the hate right now. This has been a grind. Hughes Miller Myers Toffoli Tanev all playing hurt. An extra round against Minny and then a series that was almost universally considered the most intense against St.lou and then a big fast deep pretty much fully rested team.
Im proud of the boys

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Gotta say, Minnesota is so stupid for giving away a player like Tuch for free.

He would easily be on their top line.

They essentially did it to protect Brodin and Spurgeon, but yeah giving up not only Tuch but getting 2 good years out of Haula and then dealing him for cheap bottom 6 player in Roy and a pick to free up cap space.

Credit to VGK management for identifying these players and capitalizing on market inefficiencies.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Speed is the biggest reason why we're getting reamed 5v5 by Vegas. Guys like Beagle, Benn and Sutter were fine vs St. Louis because there wasn't much in the way of fast breaks or quick transitions, but the pace at which Vegas plays is way too much for these old bones. Eriksson of course was also generally useless when he played.

They struggled in the St. Louis series as well, the Blues absolutely dominated possession against the bottom 6, they just couldn’t score.

Reactions: Makar27 and Indiana

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
I always did say Byron Bitz is a badass full name.

They essentially did it to protect Brodin and Spurgeon, but yeah giving up not only Tuch but getting 2 good years out of Haula and then dealing him for cheap bottom 6 player in Roy and a pick to free up cap space.

Agreed.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
I really dislike the hate right now. This has been a grind. Hughes Miller Myers Toffoli Tanev all playing hurt. An extra round against Minny and then a series that was almost universally considered the most intense against St.lou and then a big fast deep pretty much fully rested team.
Im proud of the boys

Lof of hate because this game was easily winnable.

-Up going into the 3rd

-Gifted 2 power plays to put the game away

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Jake has a cap of 1.25 million and was good for 18 goals!! How do you replace that for a similar cost if we are to trade him?

Not really.

I mean I guess it depends on what we mean by "using speed".

Skating around and being a passenger while "using speed" vs creating space for yourself and teamates "using speed".

On the PWF note he may not want to be that but he is also not a speedy create space type of guy.

So what is he?

I like what Bertuzzi said on a radio show a few weeks back. He doesnt see Jake wanting the puck on his stick. And that is him to a T.

He's been using it getting up ice, & getting in pressuring the Knights defense (tho you can argue passively pressuring). He's been moving his feet & he's been noticably quicker than everyone besides Pettersson. (Or Motte)

When he gets the puck in the neutral zone he's one of the few guys on our team who can turn & skate the puck up away from pressure.

He does create space for himself, it's just that it's on the rush. Just like it's been since Junior.

I'm not a Jake defender, I think it's time to move on too. But he's one of the few guys that can burn. Alot of our guys lack speed, especially the bottom 6, so that'll need to be addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad