Post-Game Talk: WCSF | Golden Knights def. Canucks - 5-3 - Lead Series 3-1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Speed is the biggest reason why we're getting reamed 5v5 by Vegas. Guys like Beagle, Benn and Sutter were fine vs St. Louis because there wasn't much in the way of fast breaks or quick transitions, but the pace at which Vegas plays is way too much for these old bones. Eriksson of course was also generally useless when he played.

The speed has also exposed those who can't think the game quick enough. Virtanen is by far the worst offender, Gaudette to an extent also struggled with making decisions under pressure. I'll also mention Myers, although I'm not sure how much of it was rust.

And I'll bring up Virtanen again because he's just so bloody disappointing. He's fast, he's big, he's got a good shot - should be excelling in a series like this, but he's been a sore thumb instead. I have no more hopes for him getting any better. He'll bring it once every other week, but be a deer in the headlights as his normal. He's like David Booth if he didn't bother trying.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
It was a good run. They really proved a lot of doubters wrong - but tonight's third period was proof that this core is just not ready for a real run.

VGK made us pay on every mistake. They are a lot like the Kings of 2012. Skilled, fast, massive and with just the right about of bite to not take loads of penalties. It doesn't help that the refs have put things in their favor, but they're winning the majority of puck battles right now.

When Markstrom isn't superhuman, this team plays like the 8th seed that they are. They have a very bright future, but the time is not now.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Virtanen had a chance to shift momentum. He decided to completely miss the net, per usual.

I'm more than ready to move on from this player.

Yup. Guy just doesn't get it, low IQ player who would rather be going to the clubs picking up women than playing hockey. He'll probably be on the Kings or whoever next season.

Reactions: Indiana and David71

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Gaudette’s miss hurts even more had all the time and space in the world and half the net. f***kkkkkkk. Same with Virtanen those plays are gonna haunt this team for a long time.

Reactions: Indiana

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Yup. Guy just doesn't get it, low IQ player who would rather be going to the clubs picking up women than playing hockey. He'll probably be on the Kings or whoever next season.
jake virtanen is a useless twit. f*** all that package but he just cant seem to get it together

Reactions: Indiana

Indiana

Mar 17, 2008
Canada
Tuch was well on his way to breaking out last year, but got bumped down to the 3rd line after Stone arrived.

Tuch is better than Virtanen. who's not only lazy but a dumb hockey player.
Vegas has insane depth. Being forced to 'bump down' those types of player.

I don't see Tuch as similar to 'the brainless one.'

Reactions: mossey3535

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks have some mercurial young players, but the reality is this is a very poorly constructed roster. And defensively they just aren't very good, and weren't during the regular season. You simply can't lose as many puck battles and commit so many egregious turnovers as the Canucks do and expect to win.

But posters obviously have no idea how hard it is going to be for the Canucks to jettison so many awful contracts in the off-season. I doubt guys like Sutter, Roussel, Beagle and Eriksson would even be signed by another NHL team if they were free agents.

But unless the Canucks can package a first round draft pick or some other painful 'add' in any deal, all those guys will be back next season--even though they look done as NHL players. But that's on the GM who signed them in the first place.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
If it were possible, I would hope the only current bottom six players to return next year, would be Gaudette and Motte. I don't see what Virtanen provides.

In the regular season he scored at a .52 ppg pace that is pretty damn valuable for 2 million a year. The 5 guys I listed scored only 20 more points than him combined at 10x the cost and 3x the games played.

there are far bigger fish to fry than Jake

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Is there a more useless player than Roussel? An overpaid bottom 6 player who does not penalty kill and probably sits in the penalty box longer than he actually skates in a game. The one noticeable thing that he has done all playoffs is make Reeves talked about like a superstar.

Reactions: victoriacanucker

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
And I'll bring up Virtanen again because he's just so bloody disappointing. He's fast, he's big, he's got a good shot - should be excelling in a series like this, but he's been a sore thumb instead. I have no more hopes for him getting any better. He'll bring it once every other week, but be a deer in the headlights as his normal. He's like David Booth if he didn't bother trying.

I think the Canucks love to collect dudes like these. They pick up reclamation projects and think everyone will turn into a Todd Bertuzzi. Kassian, Bernier, Booth...all in the same vein of big, speedy, skilled guys that never end being anything. (Booth did have decent years in Florida though)

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Markstrom pissed at the post game press. Reporter asks if he was tired and wanted some of those goals back.

He just says I felt great and I wanted about 5 goals back.

Did you expect him to say he was tired?

Such a weird coincidence that the reporters asked him that specific question...

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The Canucks lack of shots and possession time in these three series so far stems from unforced errors.
When vegas knocks a puck down in the air causing us to lose possession, thats not our fault, thats a great play
When the St. lous forecheck hammers our D and we turn it over, that's not our fault, thats a great play.

There are things we CAN control. When a Dman or forward has the puck in his own zone or around their own blue line and they have 2 full seconds before a vegas player is on him, there is NO EXCUSE to send a pass that leads IMMEDIATELY to a turnover....
OR the pass is on target but the player flubs it.
These are plays that AHL players make. The Canucks don't do a good enough job reinforcing the importance of making tape to tape passes, on target. OR if there is not outlet pass availalbe then the forwards need to come back and support..
I honestly think their problems comes down to coaching.
Also, Myers wasnt that bad.
Well said. I cant express this enough. While Vegas put puck pressure and work into every zone of the ice we just are not prepared to match the effort and have the same attention to detail.

Green has done some fine things with this group but we are unrefined in coverage and positioning and terrible at supporting each other in battles.

This is a big learning moment not only for the players but for Green.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
In the regular season he scored at a .52 ppg pace that is pretty damn valuable for 2 million a year. The 5 guys I listed scored only 20 more points than him combined at 10x the cost and 3x the games played.

there are far bigger fish to fry than Jake

I think that's exactly why Jake will be gone though. He's probably still seen as a valuable piece to some teams out there. Hopefully a team that would take on Beagle, Roussel, or even Louie's contract. With Louie though will probably need to add Demko or another valuable piece.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Deboer's right

They had a fresh goalie in the net, and Markstrom was exhausted in the 3rd, but mostly played terrible all night.

Just out coached Green.
If you have more depth on your team, you're not really 'outcoaching' anybody..You just have a deeper (better) team.

Are you going to give Green credit for 'outcoaching' DeBoer in game 2..?

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I think the Canucks love to collect dudes like these. They pick up reclamation projects and think everyone will turn into a Todd Bertuzzi. Kassian, Bernier, Booth...all in the same vein of big, speedy, skilled guys that never end being anything. (Booth did have decent years in Florida though)

you forgot byron bitz

ftr i'm still mad byron bitz didn't get a second period with the sedins

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I actually don’t mind Roussel as bottom 6er. We have bigger issues with Sutter, Eriksson and Baertschi. We also have issues with our D. Canucks have so much money committed to the bottom 6 and many of these players just aren’t worth their contract. I really hope Benning is learning from his major mistakes, Gillis was great with maintaining the cap and getting good contracts.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
I'd easily sacrifice Demko to get rid of Loui. Especially since he's likely gone to Seattle anyways.
I agree, but the problem there is that Loui holds a No Trade Clause, and a lot of the teams who need goalies (Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit, Minnesota) aren't exactly prime destinations to waive for. I could see San Jose looking at Demko, but do we really want him coming back to haunt us in the future?

A lot more likely that the team hitches a contract like Baertschi or Roussel alongside Demko, and gets a 2nd and a 4th or 5th in return.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad