Post-Game Talk: WCSF | Golden Knights def. Canucks - 5-3 - Lead Series 3-1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Still feels bad this morning.

Honestly though, my largest concern is that we end up wasting a few years of our top players. I think we have pieces that if surrounded by the right kind of players, could contend for 5-7+ years as a top tier team if managed/coached well.

I think Green is a pretty good players coach and seems to have buy in with his squad, but I haven't seen a lot of structural and systems coaching coming from him yet, and that kind of concerns me.

However, I do think he deserves a shot to grow as a coach with us for a short while. His beaking at Reaves last night though, he can't do that again.

I am genuinely curious to see how the boys come out in Game 5. I don't see us winning this series, but I'd love it if we made the rest of the games hell for the Knights anyways.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The best chance for the Canucks to stay in this series was by winning game #3, not game #4. Everybody knows Markstrom just isn't as strong in back-to-backs. So the third period collapse last night was pretty predictable.

Just to give you an idea of how impossible it is for the Canucks to actually win this series, they'd have to win three in a row, including another back-to-back. It ain't happening. And obviously Green feels he just can't play his backup goalie. So they're 'forced' to ride Marky the rest of the way.

Knights coach DeBoeer said it best. They're happy to gain a saw-off against the Canucks top-two lines, knowing that their third and fourth lines will finish the job.

I really don't think the Knights top players are any better than the Canucks in the 'skill department'. But depth always wins in the playoffs.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The best chance for the Canucks to stay in this series was by winning game #3, not game #4. Everybody knows Markstrom just isn't as strong in back-to-backs. So the third period collapse last night was pretty predictable.

Just to give you an idea of how impossible it is for the Canucks to actually win this series, they'd have to win three in a row, including another back-to-back. It ain't happening. And obviously Green feels he just can't play his backup goalie. So they're 'forced' to ride Marky the rest of the way.

Knights coach DeBoeer said it best. They're happy to gain a saw-off against the Canucks top-two lines, knowing that their third and fourth lines will finish the job.

I really don't think the Knights top players are any better than the Canucks in the 'skill department'. But depth always wins in the playoffs.

This is very accurate. A big factor in our win over St. Louis was the timely contributions from our bottom six, whereas in this series their bottom six has contributed heaps to the offense, and ours has managed straight goose eggs across the board.

Anyway - there’s still hockey to be played, and never say die. Our young players have been something special in this post season, and I do believe they have more to give.

clammy

Aug 29, 2020
Marky was tired. Demko would have been the better choice but I would have disagreed with it pre game. A healthy Ferland and Tryamkin could have given us the series. We are coming close enough as it is.

clammy

Aug 29, 2020
Not really.

I mean I guess it depends on what we mean by "using speed".

Skating around and being a passenger while "using speed" vs creating space for yourself and teamates "using speed".

On the PWF note he may not want to be that but he is also not a speedy create space type of guy.

So what is he?

I like what Bertuzzi said on a radio show a few weeks back. He doesnt see Jake wanting the puck on his stick. And that is him to a T.

I agree with you and Bertuzzi, JV did not want the puck on his stick, but not always, and not so much atm. When he gets his confidence he is a gangbuster. He played fine tonight. Being sent to serve minors isn't the best way for him to finally get over the top confidence wise. He was almost there before the shutdown.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I don't really get the "out-coached" thing. I don't honestly think Green is an amazing coach, but it's not like Deboer is doing anything special. He's just rolling the lines. Green's team is simply outmatched (which we all knew going in), and that's not on him. He didn't build the roster.
I will give credit to Deboer for swapping his goalies last night. That's not a thing a lot of coaches will do, especially when dazzled by the meaningless-but-weirdly-revered shutout. Coaches are generally really afraid to deviate from the "winning lineup" (as though all wins are always followed up by more wins). Fleury looked great last night and I can imagine Lehner having slipped a bit. The Canucks, realistically, don't have the same option with Demko, but you wonder whether, if they had used him more during the season, they could have (or would have taken advantage anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad