Post-Game Talk: WCQF: Minnesota Wild vs. Colorado Avalanche - Part II - WILD WIN GAME7!!!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
My bad everybody. The Stastny play was offside

USA Hockey rule 630 A regarding offside. (The ruling should be the same for NHL but this is what I have in my book.

Offsides occurs when players of an attacking team precede the puck into the attacking zone.
The position of the player's skates and the position of the puck relative to the blue line are determining factors for an "off-side" violation. A player is considered "off-side" when the player does not have skate contact with any part of the neutral zone or the blue line when the puck crosses the determining edge of the blue line.
(note) The blue line is always considered to be part of the zone in which the puck is in. Therefore, when the puck is entering the attacking zone, the "determining edge" of the blue line shall be the edge closest to the attacking goal. Therefore, any determination as to whether an "off-sides" has occurred will only take place at the moment the puck has completely crossed the determining edge into the attacking zone. A player only needs to have skate contact with one skate with the blue line to be considered "on-side"

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Never going to look at the Avs or their fans again after this series. Wild need to destroy these guys.

That's what we said about the Canucks too. Time heals all wounds? :sarcasm:

But yes, even if we get blown out in the second round, I would be insanely happy to win the next two games.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I agree that Suter is looking tired, and rightfully so with the amount of ice he gets.

It's a tad excessive...

Hopefully next year with a deeper blueline corp he will be closer to 25 min/gm.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
Never going to look at the Avs or their fans again after this series. Wild need to destroy these guys.

i wouldnt say all avs fan are bad, its just some vocal fans want their team to win so bad they dont care if the other team gets robbed or cheated. i want to win fair & square not favorable calls from the 3 blind mice.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I agree that Suter is looking tired, and rightfully so with the amount of ice he gets.

It's a tad excessive...

Hopefully next year with a deeper blueline corp he will be closer to 25 min/gm.
I think Scandella can handle more minutes. He's been really, really good on that 2nd pairing.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
i wouldnt say all avs fan are bad, its just some vocal fans want their team to win so bad they dont care if the other team gets robbed or cheated. i want to win fair & square not favorable calls from the 3 blind mice.
A huge portion of the Avs fans have given no respect to the Wild. I understand that respect must be earned, but in a series, aside from the 2nd period in game 2, where the Wild have been the better team, it was shocking to read the tomes of posts on how the Wild are terrible and dirty and Wild fans are a bunch of whiners.

That did not happen with the Hawks last year. There was a lot of mutual respect going both ways.

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
A huge portion of the Avs fans have given no respect to the Wild. I understand that respect must be earned, but in a series, aside from the 2nd period in game 2, where the Wild have been the better team, it was shocking to read the tomes of posts on how the Wild are terrible and dirty and Wild fans are a bunch of whiners.

That did not happen with the Hawks last year. There was a lot of mutual respect going both ways.

They better give us credit!

We've done a damn good job since 2000-2001 as an expansion team! Took us like 2 years to make the playoffs an a deep run at that!

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I think Scandella can handle more minutes. He's been really, really good on that 2nd pairing.

I agree. I wish he was paired with someone other than Spurgeon however.

I wouldn't mind Spurgeon on the third pairing and PP, but hell no to the top 4 in the playoffs. I'm getting to the point where I cringe when he gets the puck on d, and he's making some terrible decisions defensively as well, probably out of fear of getting destroyed.

And this is just the Avs. Imagine if we were playing the Blues, Kings, Bruins etc.

And Fontaine needs to go. He's kinda useless.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
We do have 3 top-4 defenders. Suter, Brodin and Scandella. Hope we fill that 4th spot in the free agency.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota

Yeah the Hawks fans last year were pretty cool. That's what happens when you're used to success and not 13 years old.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Avs have the momentum and relaxed mind coming into the game. Hard to see a Wild win ahead.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Avs have the momentum and relaxed mind coming into the game. Hard to see a Wild win ahead.

It's hard not to think the Avs have the momentum after losing like we did Saturday for the 2nd time this series :)banghead:), but we OWNED them at home in Games 3 and 4. The only reason the Avs have stayed close at the X is because Varlamov has stood on his head and made a ridiculous amount of saves. I also think that Yeo holds the advantage with line matchups and last change.

As long as the Wild come out tonight focused and ready, I'm expecting game 7 at Denver.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
Counterpoint. Wild come out with a chip on their shoulder and have something to prove.

Wild have been at their best with their backs up against the wall. I think we see angry Koivu tonight and the entire team plays out of their mind. Wild win 4-2 to send it to game 7 where i'll pick The All Star to be the hero.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i'll cross my fingers the wild dont play frustrated but i would have trouble putting 2 questionable games behind me. i feel we've given it all we had the last 3 games so im worried / concerned for a let down.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Wild have been at their best with their backs up against the wall. I think we see angry Koivu tonight and the entire team plays out of their mind. Wild win 4-2 to send it to game 7 where i'll pick The All Star to be the hero.

Read this in Kevin Gorg's voice. Ha. Don't know if you heard the 9-to-Noon show on KFAN this morning, but Gorg said this about five times.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I don't know honestly.

I just think this whole 6 on 5 mess, which could be argued to be the reason we're not waiting for the winner of the Blues and Avs at this point, might just doom him as a coach if we ultimately lose the series.

Not only the 6-on-5, but look at all their special teams goals:

4 v 4 (Game One)
Pulled Goalie (Game One)
Power Play (Game Two)
Short-Handed (Game Five)
4 v 4 (Game Five)
Pulled Goalie (Game Five)

Meanwhile for the Wild:

Power Play (Game One)
Short-Handed (Game Two)
Power Play (Game Four)

Even-strength goals:
Colorado = 8
Minnesota = 9

It's a fairly even series 5-on-5, but Colorado definitely has been outplaying the Wild in the rest of the situations.

The NHL will never publicly admit bad officiating. Their PR department would never allow it. The series supervisor probably let the refs know they blew it and that will be it. The neutral fans weighing in that we got screwed is the only "feel good" thing we'll get out of it. Life goes on.

That's how I feel. There's no accountability.

Sure hope our shooters realize that if we want to beat Varly, they better shoot high or make him move laterally. I think most of our goals have come from high shots, deflections, or moving across the crease.

Exactly. The goals are coming on high shots, tips, and moving across the crease. He's not getting beat on those wrap-around and stuff jobs or low shots in general.

:dunno:

I still think the fans will be very hostile toward the officiating (as they should be). This might be the most hostile crowd in quite a long time in Minnesota.

Would love an F-YOU-REFS chant.

We do have 3 top-4 defenders. Suter, Brodin and Scandella. Hope we fill that 4th spot in the free agency.

I need to see a lot more from Scandella before penciling him in on the top four.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
the problem with the F you refs chant is they may continue to hose the home team, whats stopping them? certain refs use to hose the northstars game after game.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
Read this in Kevin Gorg's voice. Ha. Don't know if you heard the 9-to-Noon show on KFAN this morning, but Gorg said this about five times.

Hahahahha no I missed it this morning. I usually skim through it on demand. Did he tell me how I can win tons of money betting on the kentucky derby too!? :sarcasm:

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco

2441670-3595025644-tumbl.jpg

But seriously, I think the "lack of respect" stems from a couple things.

1) The Wild are for the most-part an under-marketed product that most fans don't know much about coming into this series. Like I will admit I am shocked to see the presence of Coyle as well as the crazy forward depth you guys have. Personally I knew you guys were gonna be a challenge, but a lot of Avalanche fans didn't think so because.....

2) A noticeable chunk of Colorado fans this year are band-wagoners. Yeah, it bites because especially when it comes to trying to have slightly educated sports conversation, but it's unfortunately happened as of late. I'm sure if you look at the posts you can see which guys/girls have been around through some extremely disappointing seasons (which all seem to have begun after that 2003 game 7.....) and which are here because the team is doing well.

Do I want the Avalanche to win tonight? Yeah. Do I think Duchene (possibly) being back in the lineup will be a boost? Hell yeah. Do I think it will be an easy win and we can focus on Chicago tommorrow? **** no. Tonight's gonna be one heck of a battle from the Wild, I'm rooting hard for the Avalanche to be up to the challenge. :)

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Good post JoeSakic13. You've got an impressive young team and Roy has done great job with them.

What I also think, Wild are finally a real hockey team. Last year we were like Columbus this year. Very nice that you made it to the playoffs. Almost everyone liked us (except Devils and Preds fans obviously). We were a nice little hockey club who finally got to the playoffs but couldn't really harm anyone. So very few hated us.

Now it's different. I think it's not all lack of respect. It's partly hatred and fear. We should be a bit proud. Wild are real hockey club again. We've got haters.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Good post JoeSakic13. You've got an impressive young team and Roy has done great job with them.

What I also think, Wild are finally a real hockey team. Last year we were like Columbus this year. Very nice that you made it to the playoffs. Almost everyone liked us (except Devils and Preds fans obviously). We were a nice little hockey club who finally got to the playoffs but couldn't really harm anyone. So very few hated us.

Now it's different. I think it's not all lack of respect. It's partly hatred and fear. We should be a bit proud. Wild are real hockey club again. We've got haters.

You know I wanted to make this comparison, but I was afraid it would miss its mark. You guys could be league-wide scary in a couple years with some key pieces being 23 and younger. So MAYBE I'll cheer for you guys on the side a few years down the road....just not tonight ;)

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
@CCtsn (Chris Cuthbert): A gem from Elias: Yeo vs Roy is the shortest surname coaching matchup in NA pro sports history. Game 6 tonight. #TSN 8et #BecauseitstheCup

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
2441670-3595025644-tumbl.jpg

But seriously, I think the "lack of respect" stems from a couple things.

1) The Wild are for the most-part an under-marketed product that most fans don't know much about coming into this series. Like I will admit I am shocked to see the presence of Coyle as well as the crazy forward depth you guys have. Personally I knew you guys were gonna be a challenge, but a lot of Avalanche fans didn't think so because.....

2) A noticeable chunk of Colorado fans this year are band-wagoners. Yeah, it bites because especially when it comes to trying to have slightly educated sports conversation, but it's unfortunately happened as of late. I'm sure if you look at the posts you can see which guys/girls have been around through some extremely disappointing seasons (which all seem to have begun after that 2003 game 7.....) and which are here because the team is doing well.

Do I want the Avalanche to win tonight? Yeah. Do I think Duchene (possibly) being back in the lineup will be a boost? Hell yeah. Do I think it will be an easy win and we can focus on Chicago tommorrow? **** no. Tonight's gonna be one heck of a battle from the Wild, I'm rooting hard for the Avalanche to be up to the challenge. :)
I hear ya. As a non-fan of the Avalanche, I am excited to see where they go over the next few years. Probably will take over the division from the Hawks. Was just kind of taken aback at the amount of "this entire series is beneath us" attitude.

Because that's how you go from a team that everybody loves to flip over to watch to a team that everybody loves to watch go down. But maybe that's what people are going for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad