Post-Game Talk: Washington at New York Game 4: TIED Our Shoes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I wish Nash and Callahan were producing more but but both have been playing well otherwise. Callahan's got a lot of hits and blocked shots in. Both of them are getting their shots on goal--Nash leading the team with 17 and Callahan is second with 15.

Some guys are stepping up particularly Brassard, Zuccarello and Hagelin but also Pyatt, Boyle and Asham (when he gets out there). Brassard with two amazing passes last night. Pyatt made a great play on the Richards goal. Boyle is using his big body effectively.

As for defense I think Del Zotto has been struggling all series. Stralman's been terrific even if he is a -3. McDonagh and Girardi are eating up big minutes and Moore looks like he's going to be a star. I'd feel more comfortable though if Staal was back for good. He'd take a lot of pressure off McDonagh for one.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Just looked at the box. I guess Eminger got benched and Del Zotto had his ice time severely limited after the 1st Perrault goal in the 2nd. I wondered about it at the time, but was caught up in the events of the game.

I just hope those two get decent ice time next game. Playing Girardi and McDonagh 30 minutes a night isn't a recipe for success.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
This is the best Caps team the Rangers have faced in the last four years. Brouwer is a really good player. That's a guy who is worth his new contract. He was a key player for the Hawks. Ward is a good playoff performer. Green is destroying the Rangers. The Rangers haven't touched him the entire series. Finish your checks on him. Wear him down over a series. Ottawa has played Subban tough. PK is a different player than Green. Subban goes looking for physical play and it usually finds him. The Rangers need to start going after Green.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
That goal is on him whether it was deflected or not. He's gotta be out further on shots from the blue line.

+1,000

I've been saying this for a long time now...Hank plays too deep on long shots and leaves himself vulnerable to deflections. He needs to make himself as large as possible in net, and he does not.

Of course, when you score four goals a game...it's not so much of an issue!

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Even though we let one be erased, this game also should show the value of actually having a 2 goal lead. When the Rangers were up 1-0, I almost started being depressed, wondering why they never seem to have any breathing room.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The Caps are going to go as far as Holtby takes him. If he makes mistakes like the past two games, the Rangers will take this series.

While I think the Caps have been better 5 on 5 the goals they've scored on Lundqvist have all been seeing eye shots, screen shots, deflections, PPGs... They aren't beating him clean (knock on wood). Gotta think if the Rangers take care of business defensively (and I believe they have for the most part) and stay out of the box, can continue to put pucks on Holtby they'll have a good shot after tieing it up.

A few observations:

• John Moore was fantastic on the PP in Game 3 but then doesn't get as many looks in Game 4. Head scratcher. He looked good again in Game 4.

• Clowe's addition to the lineup helped. He makes some very good veteran plays that go unnoticed.

• Hagelin's presence on the forecheck completely changes the complexion of this team and it allows the lines to slot in right. It looked like he got his legs back after dealing with the Ovie hit in Game 1.

• Del Zotto needs to step his game up, in all areas.

• Stralman has been an absolute beast. Sign him, long term. Love his game. He's really doing well.

• No doubt Nash needs to be better. He needs to find his legs through the nuetral zone and he needs to stop passing and start shooting. Simple.

• I asked what we would expect out of Brassard in his thread before the playoffs started. Hes answering that question pretty quickly. He needs to continue that play on the road, he could be the key to winning this series.

• On the PK, i was screaming at the tv for the rangers to go out and force Green, but as I watched it became apparent that the Rangers have a plan, and its starting to slow down their PP. Of course its dangerous as ever, and you dont want to play with fire, but the Rangers are taking away Ovechkin by staying a sticks length away from him and being extremely passive on the other side.

When the puck goes low they attack, but they are trying to stay in Greens lane the best they can, but the are really staying off of him. In games 1 and 2, they forced the points and it opened up more space for the Caps to operate. The Rangers are trying to force the Caps into being stagnant and it worked in Game 4. (not to mention getting their own scoring chances SH) The best thing they could do though, is stay out of the box completely.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
That goal is on him whether it was deflected or not. He's gotta be out further on shots from the blue line.

If you watch the replay from behind the net, the original shot is going wide, that's why Lundqvist doesn't go after it at first. It's only after it gets deflected in on net that he moves. If a shot is going wide near the net, you don't want to be playing too far out and get caught when the puck hits the boards and bounces in on you.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
This is the best Caps team the Rangers have faced in the last four years. Brouwer is a really good player. That's a guy who is worth his new contract. He was a key player for the Hawks. Ward is a good playoff performer. Green is destroying the Rangers. The Rangers haven't touched him the entire series. Finish your checks on him. Wear him down over a series. Ottawa has played Subban tough. PK is a different player than Green. Subban goes looking for physical play and it usually finds him. The Rangers need to start going after Green.

That is one thing that has absolutely killed me. There have been WAY too many players passing up hits on Backstrom, Green and Ovechkin this series although last night was better. Clowe took a couple of runs at Green. Pyatt had a couple of good hits on Ovechkin. There needs to be more of that.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I don't agree.

Nash may not be 100%, but he is occupying an entire D by himself atleast ten times per game.

Gabby never did that, not even in games he scored three goals.

Nash is opening up space for his linemates when on the ice, and he forces Oates to pay alot of consideration to him when matching his team. We never got that effect with Gabby.

Cally has also been valuble, while also not finding the back of the net...

I have to disagree with your disagreement ;).

He may be occupying D but besides the Stepan goal in game 2 (which was, indeed, a fantastic pass by Nash) he hasn't utilized his line-mates enough for me to say he's making space for them.

I'll agree he does it moreso than Gaborik, but with 1 point in 4 games I can't say he hasn't been a huge disappointment. However, I have nothing to rag on since the rest of the team is stepping up finally so Nash can do his thing without the Rangers losing because of it.

Vickers8

Strals was our best player, Boyle was a beast on faceoffs, Eminger is friggin horrible, Hammer can't be worse than him, at least he knows positioning, get him off the god damn ice

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Even Sam and Joe were questioning some the personnel decisions on the PP by Torts. Moore is one PP and not the other. Girardi and DZ are used and then ignored on the PP. No consistency. Joe was questioning why Kreider isn't in the lineup when he was on with Francesa on Monday. When the Rangers made it 4-2,Torts puts Dorsett and Asham on the ice after not having played them for most of the game. The Rangers need to be better getting the pucks deep. Cross the redline and get in deep. Don't turn it over in the neutral zone. Boyle was guilty of that late in the 3rd. Boyle also didn't get the puck out on the Brouwer goal.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
When Nash has defenders on him, he needs to protect the puck rather than trying to deke around them. In the playoffs, splitting the defense is not going to work - sometimes you just have to be a hound on the puck with a defender or two hanging on your back. Nash is way better at using his body to shield the puck than Gabby ever was, and if he uses his physical attributes and skill appropriately, he should be able to be more of a force out there.

Vickers8

Girardi 29 minutes, McD 31 minutes, what a diifference Staal makes, Eminger 5 horrible minutes

Vickers8

Even Sam and Joe were questioning some the personnel decisions on the PP by Torts. Moore is one PP and not the other. Girardi and DZ are used and then ignored on the PP. No consistency. Joe was questioning why Kreider isn't in the lineup when he was on with Francesa on Monday. When the Rangers made it 4-2,Torts puts Dorsett and Asham on the ice after not having played them for most of the game. The Rangers need to be better getting the pucks deep. Cross the redline and get in deep. Don't turn it over in the neutral zone. Boyle was guilty of that late in the 3rd. Boyle also didn't get the puck out on the Brouwer goal.

I would give Asham more ice time

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
On that goal where Eminger lost the puck in the offensive zone, I might be crazy here, but I feel like that was on Richards. He was back checking and Del Zotto directed him to take Perreault on the off wing. Richards didn't react at first, which caused Del Zotto to hesitate. That threw off the timing of DZ going down to block out the pass, which allowed Ward to go around him. If Richards reacts instantly, Del Zotto is a stride further back when he goes down and Ward runs out of room.

Did anyone else see what I saw on that play?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
With Erat hurt, the Capitals have recalled RWs Joey Crabb (former Rangers 2002 draft pick) and Tom Wilson (19 years old, OHL Plymouth Whalers).

Erat is a perennial 50 point guy. The Capitals don't want to lose him for a single game.

Vickers8

Torts should take a lesson from Hags speed last night, he broke down their d which led to numerous odd man rushes, which brings us to the shame of wasting Kreids speed too

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Up 1-0 in a crucial playoff game, they should not have started a 4 on 3 with 4 forwards. I don't care who it is coming out of the box, you have to have a blueliner in that situation and it nearly bit them.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
On that goal where Eminger lost the puck in the offensive zone, I might be crazy here, but I feel like that was on Richards. He was back checking and Del Zotto directed him to take Perreault on the off wing. Richards didn't react at first, which caused Del Zotto to hesitate. That threw off the timing of DZ going down to block out the pass, which allowed Ward to go around him. If Richards reacts instantly, Del Zotto is a stride further back when he goes down and Ward runs out of room.

Did anyone else see what I saw on that play?

Yeah, I'm surprised Richards didn't get more criticism on that play. He also ignored Perreault in the crease because he was chasing the puck instead of taking out the man. Richards is definitely one of the last forwards on this team I would want covering for a pinching defenseman, his defense is pretty shaky for a center.

Black Aces

Oct 4, 2008
Yeah, I'm surprised Richards didn't get more criticism on that play. He also ignored Perreault in the crease because he was chasing the puck instead of taking out the man. Richards is definitely one of the last forwards on this team I would want covering for a pinching defenseman, his defense is pretty shaky for a center.

Eminger is getting the heat because he originally mishandled the puck then made a horrible read and went for a hit turning a 3 on 2 into a 2 on 1.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I would give Asham more ice time

I totally agree. Actually, I liked most of the Rangers forwards last game. I thought they all played well.

With Erat hurt, the Capitals have recalled RWs Joey Crabb (former Rangers 2002 draft pick) and Tom Wilson (19 years old, OHL Plymouth Whalers).

Erat is a perennial 50 point guy. The Capitals don't want to lose him for a single game.

I hope it's Crabb. Not very good.

Up 1-0 in a crucial playoff game, they should not have started a 4 on 3 with 4 forwards. I don't care who it is coming out of the box, you have to have a blueliner in that situation and it nearly bit them.

I disagree. Can't sit back. Take the chance to score. I like the Rangers chances with 4 forwards on better than a d on.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Eminger is getting the heat because he originally mishandled the puck then made a horrible read and went for a hit turning a 3 on 2 into a 2 on 1.

Definitely a bad play by him, but I think there are some other forwards on this team who would have done a better job of defending Perreault than Richards. Eminger, Richards, and Del Zotto are all culprits on that goal.

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
That is one thing that has absolutely killed me. There have been WAY too many players passing up hits on Backstrom, Green and Ovechkin this series although last night was better. Clowe took a couple of runs at Green. Pyatt had a couple of good hits on Ovechkin. There needs to be more of that.

Green makes it very difficult because he spins out and refuses to take a hit to make a play a lot of times. The Rangers have to find out a way to counteract that but it's really something that hurts the Caps sometimes. When DZ struggles, he does the same thing. More worried about taking a hit than the puck.

Nash just seems out of sorts to me at the moment. There are times where he tries to do too much and should use his teammates more. There are times where he should maybe look to shoot and doesn't. I think he is pressing but we definitely need more production from him. It's a testament to this team that we have a real shot in this series without a goal from Nash and where Lundqvist isn't stealing games for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad