Post-Game Talk: Washington at New York Game 4: TIED Our Shoes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vickers8

Green makes it very difficult because he spins out and refuses to take a hit to make a play a lot of times. The Rangers have to find out a way to counteract that but it's really something that hurts the Caps sometimes. When DZ struggles, he does the same thing. More worried about taking a hit than the puck.

Nash just seems out of sorts to me at the moment. There are times where he tries to do too much and should use his teammates more. There are times where he should maybe look to shoot and doesn't. I think he is pressing but we definitely need more production from him. It's a testament to this team that we have a real shot in this series without a goal from Nash and where Lundqvist isn't stealing games for us.

Green is a giveaway machine when he gets pounded, keep hitting him

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Eminger is getting the heat because he originally mishandled the puck then made a horrible read and went for a hit turning a 3 on 2 into a 2 on 1.

The only two on one that was created was when MDZ took a seat on the ice.

Eminger went for the hit. Richards and MDZ were both back and in position to defend properly until MDZ decided to take a seat on the ice which THEN caused a two on one with Richards left alone to defend.

Eminger's hit was eliminating the man.

Had MDZ not gone down like a two dollar hooker staring at a five dollar bill there is NO goal there.

The wrong player got scape-goated after that.

MDZ should have never seen the ice after that major gaffe

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I really hope Oates roasted Ovie for that. Totally unacceptable...especially for a guy with a letter on his sweater. :shakehead

So frustrating seeing a big talented guy like that float.

I don't... I'd rather he pat him on the back and say "we'll get em next time". Don't want Ovechkin motivated to make up for it, Oates doesn't yell at his players anyway.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
The only two on one that was created was when MDZ took a seat on the ice.

Eminger went for the hit. Richards and MDZ were both back and in position to defend properly until MDZ decided to take a seat on the ice which THEN caused a two on one with Richards left alone to defend.

Eminger's hit was eliminating the man.

Had MDZ not gone down like a two dollar hooker staring at a five dollar bill there is NO goal there.

The wrong player got scape-goated after that.

MDZ should have never seen the ice after that major gaffe

Eminger lost the puck in his skates, then misread the play and went for the big hit instead of backing off.
richards was not back, it was a 2 on 1 with Richards laboring to get back.
You can blame DZ for the slide, because he took neither the pass not the shot away, but Ward did some great stick handling to get around him.
It was bad defense all around, but that goal is Eminger's fault.

KotsyJr

49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS
May 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
www.bitsandglory.com
1. Brassard (Love this dude's game, such sweet passing)
2. Hagelin
3. Stralman

I was so dejected after the Game 2 OT loss... so happy to see them come back and respond like this. Even series now. Win Game 5 and all the pressure is on Washington.

Sucks cause Nash is clearly laboring a bit. I just hope that it's nothing too serious (ala Gaborik's shoulder from last year), if it is then it could seriously hinder us going forward. Luckily as some pointed out... at least he still is garnering much attention from the Caps, freeing up some space for others.

Onto Game 5. LGR.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Eminger made a bad read trying to keep the play alive in the offensive zone. It was a 50/50 play at best. He then eliminated Perrault from the play. Whatever happened between Richards and MDZ Ward wound up with a step on MDZ and was turning him--which is why MDZ flopped and tried to poke check it away. MDZ's gap control has not been that great in the playoffs. It happens but it shouldn't be happening that often to one guy. It happened to Girardi when Johansson beat him around the net and almost scored on a wraparound. As for Richards--it was his best game of the series but he's not really reliable anymore in any area of the ice. Torts apparently laid all the blame on Eminger. Well--he's the coach but there were multiple breakdowns on the play by multiple players.

The people calling for Hamrlik to replace Eminger. **** that. Hamrlik is way too slow and he's hardly played in a month and a half. Eminger is a much better d-man than Bickel who was our 6th guy in the playoffs last year. All I can say is live with it. Eminger is not the greatest but most of the time he's passable and he always competes. I imagine he's not going to make that kind of mistake any time soon after this benching anyway.

NHRangerfan

+1,000

I've been saying this for a long time now...Hank plays too deep on long shots and leaves himself vulnerable to deflections. He needs to make himself as large as possible in net, and he does not.

Of course, when you score four goals a game...it's not so much of an issue!

Depends on the deflection...if you look at the Isles/Pens game the other night a slap shot from the point went in off a Pens dman's skate...had MAF been playing deep like Hank, he makes the save

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
On that goal where Eminger lost the puck in the offensive zone, I might be crazy here, but I feel like that was on Richards. He was back checking and Del Zotto directed him to take Perreault on the off wing. Richards didn't react at first, which caused Del Zotto to hesitate. That threw off the timing of DZ going down to block out the pass, which allowed Ward to go around him. If Richards reacts instantly, Del Zotto is a stride further back when he goes down and Ward runs out of room.

Did anyone else see what I saw on that play?

Absolutely!! DZ's timing was wrong but the attempt was absolutely correct. (as per Brian Leetch). But that play was on Richards. He was slow to react. And when he did react he needed to take Perreault out of the play and let Lundqvist take Ward. Richards had no idea what to do defensively.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Guys, if you have any issues, please PM myself or any of the other mods and we'll be happy to discuss with you in private.

Last edited:

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
I'd love to see a Clowe/Hagelin - Brassard - Nash line. Probably Clowe so you can keep Hagelin - Stepan - Callahan together. Gotta get Nash going though by putting him with your best center so far this series. Did Nash play with Brassard at all yesterday? I can't seem to recall...

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
+1,000

I've been saying this for a long time now...Hank plays too deep on long shots and leaves himself vulnerable to deflections. He needs to make himself as large as possible in net, and he does not.

Of course, when you score four goals a game...it's not so much of an issue!

I feel like far too many people in Ranger-land have this notion that Hank needs to play out farther because Giannone said it a few years ago, when he was being routinely beaten on his glove side. Hank is an athletic goalie who uses his positioning relative to the shooter to close angles, not his distance from the net. It's the same principle I explained earlier in this thread about why the Rangers collapse:

If Hank plays out farther, he runs the risk of getting hit not just by the opposing players driving to the front, but also his own collapsing defenders. It's a product of the system that best plays to the best Ranger's (Lundqvist's) characteristics. Could he play out a little deeper to try to take away some of the fluky or skilled deflections? Absolutely. But anyone who has ever played net will tell you that deflections, just behind back-hand shots, are the hardest shots to stop. Playing out a little farther may stop as much as 10% more of the deflection goals, but at what price? It opens up the entire ice behind him near the goal-line (where many teams, especially in the East, like to run their offense from), for one-touch passes that he can do absolutely nothing on. How many times does Hank make a save going post-to-post? I counted at least 3 in the last game alone. Those shots all start going in if Hank is playing farther out. Do you stop 1 out of every 10 deflections by playing out farther and risk getting 2 of every 3 post-to-post passes going in, instead?

I have to disagree with your disagreement ;).

He may be occupying D but besides the Stepan goal in game 2 (which was, indeed, a fantastic pass by Nash) he hasn't utilized his line-mates enough for me to say he's making space for them.

I'll agree he does it moreso than Gaborik, but with 1 point in 4 games I can't say he hasn't been a huge disappointment. However, I have nothing to rag on since the rest of the team is stepping up finally so Nash can do his thing without the Rangers losing because of it.

Making space for your line-mates isn't the same concept as utilizing your line-mates. Making space is exactly what makes Nash dangerous, even when he isn't scoring at all. He consistently has the two best defenders on the Caps draped all over him at all times. The result? Boyle, Asham, Brassard, Stepan, Clowe, and the other role-players are producing. Do you think this is some magical formula by a more talented bottom-6 than years past? No, it's the difference having a deep team with a true offensive threat makes. Nash opens up space on the ice, not just for his own line-mates (whom, yes, are failing to capitalize thus far on that space), but for everyone else on the roster; something Gaborik never was able to do, and no offense player the Rangers have had since Jagr has done. There is a reason that the deepest teams go the farthest in the post-season. There is also a reason that also-rans become legendary in post-season runs on star-laden teams (Bryce Salvador?, Joel Ward?, Jason Chimera?). It's not because they "find another gear," as the pundits love to say. It's because their stars are taking away the match-ups, and the bottom-sixers, who still have some talent, are seeing guys like Jack Hillen and Steve Oleksy instead of Karl Alzner and John Carlson.

*Bob Richards*

Are we really going to criticize the style of play our goalie uses?

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Guys, if you have any issues, please PM myself or any of the other mods and we'll be happy to discuss with you in private.

My daughter used to fall asleep at 8:30 every night, now she over extends and stays up until 10ish. Is this the kind of issue you can help me with?

Serious note, I really hope the linesmen keep cheating on the FO's for us. :sarcasm:

NHRangerfan

Are we really going to criticize the style of play our goalie uses?

It's HF :sarcasm:

Would think after 5 Vezina nominations and 1 Vezina in his 8 years this wouldn't be a topic of discussion...lets have him throw away the style that has made him the most consistent goalie in the NHL since he entered the NHL... :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
I'm listening to Francesa. It is quite obvious this man has no idea what the hell he is talking about when it comes to hockey. He's been babbling on about how hard it is to win Game 7 on the road if you haven't won on the road in the previous 3 games. Literally made no other analysis than that. Only name mentioned between the Penguins, Islanders, Capitals and Rangers was Henrik Lundqvist. Vokoun was referred to as "this new goalie", and nothing else.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

Would think after 5 Vezina nominations and 1 Vezina in his 8 years this wouldn't be a topic of discussion...lets have him throw away the style that has made him the most consistent goalie in the NHL since he entered the NHL... :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead
Tear him down and rebuild him from scratch.

*Bob Richards*

Tear him down and rebuild him from scratch.

And I don't want to pile on but 5 Vezina nominations, 1 win, 1 Hart nomination, he OWNS the NYR MVP award and he might just be the second greatest player in organizational history behind Leetch.

If he wants to sit back in the net, he can damn well do it.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
My daughter used to fall asleep at 8:30 every night, now she over extends and stays up until 10ish. Is this the kind of issue you can help me with?

Consider giving her a glass of red wine while watching Dora the Explorer. Should do the trick.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano

Serious note, I really hope the linesmen keep cheating on the FO's for us. :sarcasm:

Bed time for my youngest kid is 8:30 too, except when the Rangers are playing.
True story, after the game, he was jumping up and down, when they showed ovechkin on the screen, he mooned him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad