Confirmed with Link: Walman and a 2nd Round Pick traded to SJ

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The only reason why anyone would want Stamkos or Kane is because people are very impatient and want to make the playoffs for some reason. I don't care if they make the playoffs or not. It's not the end goal for me. The goal now is to get the team younger stocked up with good young talent for the big picture going forward.

First round playoff exit in 2025 is less meaningless to me than building a powerhouse team that will have a legit 5 or 6 year run starting in 2027 - 2033.

I want the team to make the playoffs organically without mortgaging the future whether that means burning cap space on old players at the end of their career of making dumb trades.

The pressure on Yzerman to make the playoffs is why he traded Walman, imo. He could have waited to trade Walman and bloat his value. But instead IMPATIENT people want him to make an UFA impact.

That would be my 2024 complaint about Yzerman. He is trying to appease the crowd instead of slowly build a long term hockey club. F*ck the PLAYOFFS! Let's stay the course and build a powerhouse team first-and-foremost.

Yzerman is feeling the pressure and that's why he gave up a 2nd to get rid of Walman's contract, to have capital to acquire a better dman.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
The only reason why anyone would want Stamkos or Kane is because people are very impatient and want to make the playoffs for some reason. I don't care if they make the playoffs or not. It's not the end goal for me. The goal now is to get the team younger stocked up with good young talent for the big picture going forward.

First round playoff exit in 2025 is less meaningless to me than building a powerhouse team that will have a legit 5 or 6 year run starting in 2027 - 2033.

I want the team to make the playoffs organically without mortgaging the future whether that means burning cap space on old players at the end of their career of making dumb trades.

The pressure on Yzerman to make the playoffs is why he traded Walman, imo. He could have waited to trade Walman and bloat his value. But instead IMPATIENT people want him to make an UFA impact.

That would be my 2024 complaint about Yzerman. He is trying to appease the crowd instead of slowly build a long term hockey club. F*ck the PLAYOFFS! Let's stay the course and build a powerhouse team first-and-foremost.

Yzerman is feeling the pressure and that's why he gave up a 2nd to get rid of Walman's contract, to have capital to move a better dman in.
Why would adding Stamkos for free prevent the team from being a longterm powerhouse?

Reactions: jkutswings

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021

Yzerman is feeling the pressure and that's why he gave up a 2nd to get rid of Walman's contract, to have capital to acquire a better dman.
Even if all your prospects develop none of them are guaranteed to be game changers and you need free agency and traded to add where your organization is deficient. It’s year 6, there is no moving backwards it’s playoffs are bust now. Yzerman knows this, that’s why I think he’s going to be aggressive

Reactions: jkutswings

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS

I suspect the pressure on SY was more to find a top 4 LHD roster spot for Ed and some part time room for Al-Jo as he makes the team better. As it stands, signing Mo, with Ed and Al-Jo is 7 D, 8D if the (I really hope not) bring back Ghost or some other (preferred) top 2 RHD.

Walman was a stopgap plug who had a decent run, but didn't play special teams much that I recall (although they did try him on both from memory), not a huge fan of Ben with Mo...but let's see what the team looks like when the dealing is done and the season is starting.

I don't think this is a play-off or bust year at all, but the team has to show some growth, even if not in the overall standings (with the current balancing, it might take 100 points to get the last spot on 2024/25), the surge of youth leadership last spring was quite encouraging and I think now opens the door to bring in some more of the kids if the team culture is shifting.

SY knows better than most what it takes to build a serious long term team, how many "Demers years" is he trying to shave off from this current crop with his approach? He wants them running from the start of their contention window, not spending a few seasons trying to figure it out.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think walman just played himself out of Detroit and Yzerman moved him when he could for what he could. I don't think it's a crazy coincidence that it took basically the same cost to move Hayes to Pittsburg.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think walman just played himself out of Detroit and Yzerman moved him when he could for what he could. I don't think it's a crazy coincidence that it took basically the same cost to move Hayes to Pittsburg.

And it had to be done pretty quickly because after tomorrow, all that free cap space teams have is going to start shrinking faster than George Costanza in the pool.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

People? There's really only one person that can tell Stevie what to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chris is putting pressure on Stevie, Wings are now tied for 6th longest playoff drought, another season and it's a tie for 4th. Not the kind of record you want to set as a new owner.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
Still waiting for that thing to happen that’s supposed to justify the silliness of this trade….
I stand corrected. I was certain that there was some logical plan already worked out for the money.

As it turns out, the plan was Yzerman thinking he could sign Stamkos for 5M or so and trade for Trouba. And the trade for Trouba got 69'd and Stamkos signed for 60% more than he offered.

• Haha
Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I stand corrected. I was certain that there was some logical plan already worked out for the money.

As it turns out, the plan was Yzerman thinking he could sign Stamkos for 5M or so and trade for Trouba. And the trade for Trouba got 69'd and Stamkos signed for 60% more than he offered.

The trade got 69'd? Bruh, hahahah.

Psssstt (86'd)

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
_c6c38832-f314-4234-aab6-5c79fd5537c1.jpg

TRUST

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
So let's review:

- Yzerman gives up a free late 2nd in a weak draft.

- Clears a roster spot, frees up 3.6m for a guy that was never going to suit up in Detroit again.

- Upgrades Walman at 1.6m less cap hit.

If you're mad about getting rid of Walman, don't. He was done here.

If you're mad about losing a free late 2nd. Don't be, it was a weak draft.

Cap gain is the net win along with improving the backend.

In hindsight, Yzerman probably could have traded Walman at TDL last season for a minimal asset (3rd?). But you don't trade if you're trying to make the playoffs.

Reactions: lilidk and Henkka

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
So let's review:

- Clears a roster spot, frees up 3.6m for a guy that was never going to suit up in Detroit again.

In hindsight, Yzerman probably could have traded Walman at TDL last season for a minimal asset (3rd?). But you don't trade if you're trying to make the playoffs.
I don't know why we still here. Time to move on.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
So let's review:

What happened with Walman? Why was he never gonna suit up here again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad