Prospect Info: 2024 Montreal Canadiens Development Camp

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
i meant at Habs camp, specifically, and in comparison to the 2022 camp where he was a late cut.
That was a bone they threw at Beck for his hard work during camp nothing more.
I felt in 2023 there just weren't going to be any openings no matter what. Players do have a sense for this and even discuss it amongst themselves.
Case in point for me was Norlinder who had a very good camp last season but was never going to crack that left side.
His start in Laval was putrid and he never got much better he just knew his window was done as far as making the big club went.
I would have loved to see him double down and push for a trade with good play but he just fizzled.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I felt in 2023 there just weren't going to be any openings no matter what. Players do have a sense for this and even discuss it amongst themselves.
Case in point for me was Norlinder who had a very good camp last season but was never going to crack that left side.
His start in Laval was putrid and he never got much better he just knew his window was done as far as making the big club went.
I would have loved to see him double down and push for a trade with good play but he just fizzled.
Trudeau did the same thing as Norlinder last year.

Reactions: Gustave and Rapala

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
His start in Laval was putrid and he never got much better he just knew his window was done as far as the big club went.
i still think he underwhelmed at camp last year. i remember him just not having any sort of presence on the ice - a Jacob De La Rose type of impact.

i'm not discounting his past season, or playoffs and i'm looking forward to seeing what he brings this year.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
i still think he underwhelmed at camp last year. i remember him just not having any sort of presence on the ice - a Jacob De La Rose type of impact.

i'm not discounting his past season, or playoffs and i'm looking forward to seeing what he brings this year.
It seems to me Beck talks about the Habs decision to send him back for one more season in a very good interview posted here just recently.
My guess is he knew this long before camp was done. His camp was unremarkable but it didn't have to be.
You will see a Balls to the Wall Owen Beck in camp this season.
The article clearly defined just how much our development crew (Byron) worked with him all season long which says much IMO.
The Habs will certainly use him with NHL wingers in pre-season games to see exactly where he's at.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Beck seems like one of those rare kids that has a super rich father/parents/family that has nice genes and they managed to raise the kid right and not to be a spoiled bitch who has no respect for anyone and thinks they're tough because of money they're related to.

I was fast forwarding through the YouTube and saw they were talking to someone and was like "is that a member of staff, or did they decide to interview someone's dad ? "

It was Florian.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Beck was fine...the only difference between his camp in 2022 and his camp in 2023, is fans weren't expecting a lot in 2022. He was a new prospect, in 2023, fans expected more.

He's still the same solid prospect he's always been.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Hughes wanted to build a specific culture and so far Suzuki, Cole and Slaf have bought into it. You gotta think Demidov and Reinbacher will, as well. Guhle and Arber also seem to be closely knit with this group.

Can't wait to integrate Beck, Fowler and Hutson.
What's fascinating to me is I can actually see the bricks being added, a brick at a time. We can see the house being built.

We witnessed Slaf developing last year, so that's on a micro level but then also the team, macro level.

Previously it was ad hoc, building on the fly. So it's who are the centres, where do we get them ? Kid brought up , why ? Hey kid, work on your skating and we'll see in a couple of months.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
What's fascinating to me is I can actually see the bricks being added, a brick at a time. We can see the house being built.

We witnessed Slaf developing last year, so that's on a micro level but then also the team, macro level.

Previously it was ad hoc, building on the fly. So it's who are the centres, where do we get them ? Kid brought up , why ? Hey kid, work on your skating and we'll see in a couple of months.
There definitely seems to be more drafted pieces than before. At the very least, drafted pieces of a similar age group.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Gallagher is on the ice at development. I know he gets shit on a lot know mostly because of his contract. Him going to development camp during the summer shows a commitment to the organization to help with the future.

That’s not Gally, that’s the weird dude that jumped on the ice against Theo years ago and went on a breakaway. Pfff.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I have always felt our drafting was not that bad but development was atrocious. It seems like this thread is changing now. This is one of the best news in the past decades.

It's a combination of both. We drafted too many "mature" and low ceiling players while completely butchering the development of the skilled ones.

That's how you end up with Chipchura, McCarron and Tinordi not being impact players while having Scherbak, Beaulieu and Galchenyuk (he had good moments but his development was a tragedy) busting.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Going back to Gainey we were a minus of one 1st and minus 3 2nds during his tenure. MB was about even I think with the top rounds. Because of the rebuild we definitely have more draft picks and most importantly 1sts and 2nds.

But the quality of drafted player has greatly improved. Timmins started keying in on skill more so I think his last couple of years here are much better than his average. The present manager is looking for speed, skill, IQ etc.

Before in D+1,2,3 you would see kids flat line in their development and year after year more kids were gone until at D+4 maybe you had one kid hanging on and he was a bottom pair D or tweener at best.

Now, with the drafting and actual development of players ( Gainey drafted some decent guys but Jacques Martin especially stunted several of them and MB of course chose coaches who didn't believe development was in their job description at all ) there are players actually improving and we have prospects who can become 1st line players.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Hughes and Gorton are clearly shrewd managers doing a great job, but comparing eras is tough. Did Gainey and/or Bergevin got the green light to rebuild from Gillett & Molson? Probably not.

Timmins struggled drafting forwards but let's not pretend like he had obvious opportunities like Slafkovsky and Demidov. Galchenyuk was probably the right pick, and Kotkaniemi was a mistake but this spot was a bit of a crapshoot. The 2024 equivalent was if Svechnikov had fallen to 3rd overall. There were people who wanted Tkachuk but there were people who wanted Zadina.

His best opportunity was probably the 2003 draft but it was early in his career and I always liked Andrei Kostitsyn. The fact that several franchise players ended up drafted after him in an outlier draft looks bad but it is what it is.

Gainey got us Alex Kovalev, gets a free pass on that alone. And Gainey took over the team after the darkest period of its history. His real job was to bring some pride and enthusiasm back to the franchise and I think he succeeded, along with Pierre Boivin's masterful job in marketing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad